DLC Ideas that could cover the future of Planet Zoo and theoretical possibilities depending on how long Planet Zoo will continue

From all 39 habitat animals that were released during last two years only one was my personal favorite that I really really wanted and it was Malayan tapir with the worst model ever so I’ve learned not to keep my hopes up 🤷🏽

Don’t get me wrong I like nearly all animals from the DLC’s but they were not my personal favorites.

Last edited:
The new DLC timeline I have theorised and made concepts for 8 dlcs from 2022 to 2023, if it happens, I really, really hope so, the possibilities for a game like this are many, and there are still several to cover, aquariums, aviaries, brachiation, guest interaction with animals, first person mode, exhibit behind the scenes such as vets being able to check up and interact with animals in behind the scenes sleeping and quarantine areas attached to the enclosures, specific ones for each animal.

These are all animal packs, but with the amount of animals I have presented before you, I imagine that formulating scenery packs out of them for the people who still want building pieces that could easily be added in free updates will be able to chose their animals, but for the many people who want the more animals the merrier, I present the Greater Asia Animal Pack, Oceania Animal Pack, Rainforest Animal Pack, Aviary Expansion, Islands Animal Pack, South America Animal Pack, Africa Animal Pack and the Primate Pack. If all the animals and alternatives shown here would be added, I would be satisfied for this game to end support, but since that is unlikely, we may never have all the realistic zoo animals we want.
View attachment 284787
View attachment 284788
View attachment 284789
View attachment 284790
View attachment 284791
View attachment 284792
View attachment 284793
View attachment 284794
Aside from Asia, it's very unreasonable to expect a second re-run from any of the other continents (with the possible exception of a Central American pack). Purely from a marketing perspective, it would be too confusing name-wise. A lot of your picks would be workable for other biome packs (ex. desert, grassland) or as alternatives for your existing packs.
I mentioned this earlier but with exhibit mammals off the table the exhibit animal for packs focused on certain groups (ex. primates) would need to change. I suggested something with a primate reference in its common name to ties itself with the package.
Also, a number of the birds in you aviary pack would be perfectly fine outside of an aviary. The fowl, crane, and pelecaniformes in particular would be very good habitat animals.
Making lists is fun and yours are very enjoyable but I’m trying to be true here and we need to understand that there are probably the total of 23 species that we would get so I’m trying not to get my hopes up and keeping my expectations real.
I agree with this quite a lot, as many people tend to be way too ambitious with their ideas without factoring in the model. Expect the worst so reality doesn't ruin anything. For me personally, the maximum number of habitat animals for any 1 pack would be 7 at this point in time. If Frontier makes a new model then that can open the floodgates for more reasonable fan ideas.

Aside from Asia, it's very unreasonable to expect a second re-run from any of the other continents (with the possible exception of a Central American pack). Purely from a marketing perspective, it would be too confusing name-wise. A lot of your picks would be workable for other biome packs (ex. desert, grassland) or as alternatives for your existing packs.
I would disagree. Frontier just has to change the name somehow. Africa 2 could be a safari or Savannah pack. South America could be a Amazonas pack. I mean it ist just a possibility but of course biome Packs are possible, too.
And in fact we do not really have all continents as DLC. Asia ist still missing, we just have specific South east Asia pack. India, arabia and North Asia ist completely missing until now. And personally I am also convinced that we could revisit Australia called oceania pack because we are still really lacking animals from this part of the world

I would disagree. Frontier just has to change the name somehow. Africa 2 could be a safari or Savannah pack. South America could be a Amazonas pack. I mean it ist just a possibility but of course biome Packs are possible, too.
And in fact we do not really have all continents as DLC. Asia ist still missing, we just have specific South east Asia pack. India, arabia and North Asia ist completely missing until now. And personally I am also convinced that we could revisit Australia called oceania pack because we are still really lacking animals from this part of the world
There's plenty of DLC ideas that wouldn't confuse buyers (or just have really dumb names like DLC "sequels").
  • Biomes (to which there's already a good 6 packs)
  • Domesticated animals (to which are among the mostly widely held animals in zoos)
  • Threatened species (probably wouldn't be more than 1 pack but still something regardless)
  • Animal groups (ex. ungulates, primates, habitat birds)
And the only reason why Frontier did Australia specifically over Oceania is because the more marketable name is Australia. Not as many people are attached to Oceania as they are to Australia.

There's plenty of DLC ideas that wouldn't confuse buyers (or just have really dumb names like DLC "sequels").
  • Biomes (to which there's already a good 6 packs)
  • Domesticated animals (to which are among the mostly widely held animals in zoos)
  • Threatened species (probably wouldn't be more than 1 pack but still something regardless)
  • Animal groups (ex. ungulates, primates, habitat birds)
And the only reason why Frontier did Australia specifically over Oceania is because the more marketable name is Australia. Not as many people are attached to Oceania as they are to Australia.
I mean there are several possibilities and we will see but I somehow would not count on animal groups because I like the variety of the actual packs. As much as I would like to have a lot more ungulates (I could even tell you 20 of them I would like to see) which perhaps include my most wanted animal (Kirks Dik Dik) I am afraid that a pack just focusing on them could not be very appealing to the average players. Primates are the only mammal group which could work in my opinion but birds and aquariums would work definitely.

Ok, I have made a few modifications and I have changed the name to Australia
1641586249712.png

I have also modified the Islands Animal Pack just a tad
1641586299263.png

As well as the Rainforest Animal Pack
1641586323568.png

This is the absolute dream of an aviary pack, 32 birds
View attachment 284786
Love the inclusion of the Village Weaver; it’s been really overlooked here on the forums in “Aviary Pack” discussions. This species is one of Africa’s most iconic songbirds and, as far as avians go, is often a headliner in African-focused nature media and documentaries. Additionally, the “villages” they build would be an amazing feature to have in PZ. (Frontier has really seemed to take an interest in animal “homes” as of recent with tunnels and burrows. Hopefully this carries over to future species inclusions)
1641587769082.jpeg

Last edited:
Love the inclusion of the Village Weaver; it’s been really overlooked here on the forums in “Aviary Pack” discussions. This species is one of Africa’s most iconic songbirds and, as far as avians go, is often a headliner in African-focused nature media and documentaries. Additionally, the “villages” they build would be an amazing feature to have in PZ. (Frontier has really seemed to take an interest in animal “homes” as of recent with tunnels and burrows. Hopefully this carries over to future species inclusions)
View attachment 284944
Yeah I thought it would be a really good bird to have in a sort of African village setting and it would just be a great thing to see in the game

any reason? Just asking
Well I was showing these DLCs on a discord and someone suggested that I make it just Australia considering it is primarily made up of Australian animals, and I thought the Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo would probably be better in a Rainforest Animal Pack, and there are a few New Zealand species and other Oceania species in the Islands Animal Pack with the Kagu, North Island Brown Kiwi, Tuatara and Lord Howe Island Stick Insect, with a few alternatives including New Zealand Fur Seal, Coconut Crab, Rockhopper Penguin and South Island Takahe

Do you guys think the Musk Oxen would be a possible alternative for the Islands Animal Pack, considering it is found on many islands in the Canadian Arctic
1641596191173.png

If Frontier were to give me the keys for the future DLCs for 2022, here's how I'd steer the ship:

1. Aviary Pack - Far and away, the most requested DLC now with Europe released. It just seems like everyone wants birds - myself included. As many have pointed out, the new aviary and flight mechanics from Jurassic World Evolution 2 could certain serve as a template for the new necessary features to give the birds the ability to fly.

Along with the high demand, the addition of birds would break their decades long omission from the zoo game library.

But something I believed to be overlooked is the vitality of birds as means of conservation education. Frontier has proven to act as a highly conservation-focused organization and the role of birds in zoological parks as a means of rehabilitation and rescue shouldn't be ignored. I'm a tour guide at the Bronx Zoo in New York City, and many of our birds are non-releasable rescues (particularly our raptors), surrendered pets, or sadly - confiscated victims of the illegal bird trade.

A potential line-up I can see includes:
    • Bald Eagle
    • Snowy Owl
    • Andean Condor
    • Scarlet Macaw
    • Toco (or Keel-Billed) Toucan
    • Great White Pelican
    • Secretary Bird
    • Mallard Duck - not often in held in captivity, but I challenge anyone to visit any zoo in any country and not see them waddling around

In an ideal world, this is could be the first "Super Animal Pack" and feature 12 animals instead of 8, to fill the sorely lacking roster of birds. Let's throw in the Atlantic Puffin, Yellow (or Sulphur) Crested Cockatoo, Scarlet Ibis, and North Island Brown Kiwi to round it out.

2. Rainforest Pack - Another potential Animal Pack. Along with providing many highly requested critters from the Meta-List, this could serve as a trial run in biome-based packs - which seems to be a feasible replacement for regions (now that every continent has been represented in DLC form).

Similar to the North America Pack, a fan-favorite filled line-up could be:
    • Lar (or White Cheeked) Gibbon
    • Linnaeus' Two-toed Sloth (three-toed sloths are rarely kept in zoos due to their highly specialized diets)
    • Capybara
    • Red River Hog
    • Golden Lion Tamarin
    • Tree Kangaroo
    • Coquerel’s Sifaka
    • Panther Chameleon

3. Aquatic Pack II - The first sequel to arguably to most groundbreaking DLC pack. Ideally - another animal pack - but this I mostly like see being another scenery pack like its predecessor. Line-up includes:
    • Walrus
    • Asian Small-clawed Otter
    • Rockhopper Penguin
    • Amazon River Turtle (or any other large freshwater turtle like the Alligator Snapping Turtle)
    • Eastern Hellbender

4. Petting Zoo Pack - While not very high at all on the Meta-List, it'd be a fantastic new feature exclusive to PZ. Another scenery pack with barnyard theme. An additional exhibit animals will be thrown in to keep the critics of farmyard friends at bay:
    • Boer Goat
    • Suffolk Sheep
    • Holstein Cow
    • Miniature Donkey
    • Domestic Turkey

5. Farewell Animal Pack - Planet Zoo's swan song. A 10 species animal pack featuring many of the fan favorites, some hold-outs from Zoo Tycoon 2, each from a different region representing the previous DLCs:
    • Muskox - Arctic
    • Maned Wolf - South America
    • Emu - Australia
    • Platypus - Aquatic
    • Leopard - Southeast Asia
    • African Crested Porcupine - Africa
    • Przewalski's Wild Horse - Europe
    • King Cobra

If Frontier were to give me the keys for the future DLCs for 2022, here's how I'd steer the ship:

1. Aviary Pack - Far and away, the most requested DLC now with Europe released. It just seems like everyone wants birds - myself included. As many have pointed out, the new aviary and flight mechanics from Jurassic World Evolution 2 could certain serve as a template for the new necessary features to give the birds the ability to fly.

Along with the high demand, the addition of birds would break their decades long omission from the zoo game library.

But something I believed to be overlooked is the vitality of birds as means of conservation education. Frontier has proven to act as a highly conservation-focused organization and the role of birds in zoological parks as a means of rehabilitation and rescue shouldn't be ignored. I'm a tour guide at the Bronx Zoo in New York City, and many of our birds are non-releasable rescues (particularly our raptors), surrendered pets, or sadly - confiscated victims of the illegal bird trade.

A potential line-up I can see includes:
    • Bald Eagle
    • Snowy Owl
    • Andean Condor
    • Scarlet Macaw
    • Toco (or Keel-Billed) Toucan
    • Great White Pelican
    • Secretary Bird
    • Mallard Duck - not often in held in captivity, but I challenge anyone to visit any zoo in any country and not see them waddling around

In an ideal world, this is could be the first "Super Animal Pack" and feature 12 animals instead of 8, to fill the sorely lacking roster of birds. Let's throw in the Atlantic Puffin, Yellow (or Sulphur) Crested Cockatoo, Scarlet Ibis, and North Island Brown Kiwi to round it out.

2. Rainforest Pack - Another potential Animal Pack. Along with providing many highly requested critters from the Meta-List, this could serve as a trial run in biome-based packs - which seems to be a feasible replacement for regions (now that every continent has been represented in DLC form).

Similar to the North America Pack, a fan-favorite filled line-up could be:
    • Lar (or White Cheeked) Gibbon
    • Linnaeus' Two-toed Sloth (three-toed sloths are rarely kept in zoos due to their highly specialized diets)
    • Capybara
    • Red River Hog
    • Golden Lion Tamarin
    • Tree Kangaroo
    • Coquerel’s Sifaka
    • Panther Chameleon

3. Aquatic Pack II - The first sequel to arguably to most groundbreaking DLC pack. Ideally - another animal pack - but this I mostly like see being another scenery pack like its predecessor. Line-up includes:
    • Walrus
    • Asian Small-clawed Otter
    • Rockhopper Penguin
    • Amazon River Turtle (or any other large freshwater turtle like the Alligator Snapping Turtle)
    • Eastern Hellbender

4. Petting Zoo Pack - While not very high at all on the Meta-List, it'd be a fantastic new feature exclusive to PZ. Another scenery pack with barnyard theme. An additional exhibit animals will be thrown in to keep the critics of farmyard friends at bay:
    • Boer Goat
    • Suffolk Sheep
    • Holstein Cow
    • Miniature Donkey
    • Domestic Turkey

5. Farewell Animal Pack - Planet Zoo's swan song. A 10 species animal pack featuring many of the fan favorites, some hold-outs from Zoo Tycoon 2, each from a different region representing the previous DLCs:
    • Muskox - Arctic
    • Maned Wolf - South America
    • Emu - Australia
    • Platypus - Aquatic
    • Leopard - Southeast Asia
    • African Crested Porcupine - Africa
    • Przewalski's Wild Horse - Europe
    • King Cobra
Capybara and Tasmanian Devil would be better choices for a farewell animal pack

I'm fine with domestic animals conceptually but there would be riots if it were included and we're indeed only getting four more packs.

Something I've thought for a while but not fully articulated is also that, for both aviaries and aquariums, I have a sense of "commit fully to it or don't do it at all". The real appeal of aviaries in real-life zoos is to have walkthrough buildings with dozens of species. An aquarium pack, unless it were meant to be a Seaworld-style focus only on large marine mammals, would also feel fundamentally incomplete if you only had four or even eight different fish. If Frontier can't do small flying birds right, I'd rather they be saved for a hypothetical PZ2 (or for the next zoo simulator game to take a crack at).

The least-bad solution for both more proper bird representation and not having to risk a "hollow" aviary system is just to add a lot of birds that don't need aviaries. Starters would be the three that score highly on the meta-wishlist (secretary bird, emu, grey crowned crane)

Top Bottom