We meed some sort of update for Consoles

I'm tired of waiting months between 'updates' that only amount to "Yeah it's delayed indefinitely". We need SOMETHING. Some sort of acknowledgement of the console community as a whole. It's kind of wild to watch them say "Don't worry! Once it's fixed on PC we'll come work on console!" And then they start adding even more features to PC, further isolating us. It's just frustrating is all.

"Capitalisation of development costs on game developments and game technology accounted for £15.8 million in the six months to 30 November 2021 (H1 FY21: £13.1 million). The percentage of gross research and development costs which were capitalised in the period was 71%, lower than the 83% recorded for H1 FY21 as more development staff were working on free updates (as opposed to chargeable content) during the recent period, notably the ongoing post-release support for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. Frontier's normal expectations for capitalisation is 70-90% of gross development spending."

My take:

They can't afford to keep throwing money at the PC version of Odyssey, that they will never make back with new game sales on PC sales alone. This has to come to console so that they can capitalise on the development cost, but that is some way off and basically a write off until the next financial quarter. Their stock price took a hammering as a result of this news.

If they don't bring Odyssey to console, the future of the game is bleak unless they can massively improve PC sales, or release some chargeable content for the PC market. They also need to get new players in as the LEPers won't contribute anything to offset development costs over and above Arx spend.

** IMO every player should be concerned about the ongoing silence on plans for Odyssey on console, as it has implications for the future of the game. **

o7

Last edited:
"Capitalisation of development costs on game developments and game technology accounted for £15.8 million in the six months to 30 November 2021 (H1 FY21: £13.1 million). The percentage of gross research and development costs which were capitalised in the period was 71%, lower than the 83% recorded for H1 FY21 as more development staff were working on free updates (as opposed to chargeable content) during the recent period, notably the ongoing post-release support for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. Frontier's normal expectations for capitalisation is 70-90% of gross development spending."

My take:

They can't afford to keep throwing money at the PC version of Odyssey, that they will never make back with new game sales on PC sales alone. This has to come to console so that they can capitalise on the development cost, but that is some way off and basically a write off until the next financial quarter. Their stock price took a hammering as a result of this news.

If they don't bring Odyssey to console, the game is dead unless they can massively improve PC sales, or release some chargeable content for the PC market. They also need to get new players in as the LEPers won't contribute anything to offset development costs over and above Arx spend.

** IMO every player should be concerned about the ongoing silence on plans for Odyssey on console, as it has implications for the future of the game. **

o7

Why sink more money into console development in the hope that you can make money back on what you spent on PC development. As you yourself say consoles represent 1/3 of ED's player base.

Just go back through Sally's posts - she's forever updating y'all. Hopefully boppy or the pig will be along later and they can point you at the updates (y)
Never heard of Sally. Just made a frontier account to make this post because I'm tired of the great nothing we've gotten thus far.

I know guys with hardware weaker than a PS4 getting like 30FPS
I have a "classic" PS4 myself. It's already trying to launch off my desk when I run God of War, I'm pretty sure it'll go thermonuclear trying to run Odyssey in its current state.

My take:

If they don't bring Odyssey to console, the future of the game is bleak unless they can massively improve PC sales, or release some chargeable content for the PC market. They also need to get new players in as the LEPers won't contribute anything to offset development costs over and above Arx spend.

o7

I’m concerned. Especially with such understanding of economics and game development. It’s almost like you know better than the qualified people doing this, but maybe you have access to better information than you’re sharing with us forum people. Do you know more than you’re letting on? This is a genuine question, Ziga zig ahhhh.

But they can't bring it to consoles until its capable of running on consoles well, otherwise its Odyssey Launch 2: Electric Boogaloo.

When EDO can run on something like a Radeon HD 7850 on PC at a good framerate along with other equivalent hardware, then a console release might happen... and that might be never.

But they can't bring it to consoles until its capable of running on consoles well, otherwise its Odyssey Launch 2: Electric Boogaloo.

When EDO can run on something like a Radeon HD 7850 on PC at a good framerate along with other equivalent hardware, then a console release might happen... and that might be never.

You're completely discounting current gen console hardware then?

Might as well because Frontier have 😃

You're completely discounting current gen console hardware then?

Might as well because Frontier have 😃

What do you class as current gen, the 4 or 5?

Once again, serious question sporty, I presume you mean the 4 but I don't know it's equivalence to hardware?

You might have me muted, so perhaps someone could quote me so Boppy can see my question please? Thanks all

What do you class as current gen, the 4 or 5?

Once again, serious question sporty, I presume you mean the 4 but I don't know it's equivalence to hardware?

You might have me muted, so perhaps someone could quote me so Boppy can see my question please? Thanks all
No Bottom Hat

What he quoted is public information. Fdev is a public company that has to produce reports from time to time. If it was insider information he would be put in court.

Top Bottom