Thinking of cancelling PSN.

I don't really play online games or do PvP, but back before when I played ED on PC I did enjoy being online and catching a glimpse of another commander at a station or somewhere in space. That hint of making a connection with someone was the best, to me personally anyway.

But it's been many months and I spend upwards of 40 USD for the 'privilege' of being online. I think I'm going to end that. Why is it even required? Doesn't Frontier host the game servers themselves? What service is Sony adding that I'm not seeing?

Deep space will pretty much be the same either way.

As far as I am aware console players without premium platform access can only play in Solo - the multi-player modes would be unavailable.
Heck even for some online games like Minecraft that don't necessarily or don't exclusively use centralised servers, Sony demands an extra fee for 'services provided'. Even if it's a direct player-to-player connection.

Would be great if we had options with regard to the level of online connectivity, but it's capitalism so what can you do. I guess we're lucky solo on PS can still help out with community events and the BGS.

Last edited:
It's a way to racket more money out of console players. In terms of peer-to-peer connections it's basically a payment for just the matchmaking service.

You pay for the use of the same ID on MULTI titles, something PC users are NOT insured to get... PS+ is across multi games, not a single title...
The more games you have, the less you pay per online title... playing a single title was never the design use...
If you only play a single title then it's overkill if you don't use multiplayer on anything then you don't need to pay or PS+ if you don't use any of the other functions as well..

You also pay for multi functions of PS+ not limited to multiplayer...

The biggest is Cloud saves for multi titles (PC has to pay extra for this or do it manually on a free service) that HDD/SSD is not 100% failure proof It can fail.
Failure of the PS5 SSD would be a big issue for example as it's built in hardware now, so it could be fixed, save game would be gone still
This also allows save game transfer to other devices if you have a second console... Doing all this manually offline does get annoying every month.
PS+ is built for Active multi game usage, If you're not doing that then you can cancel. fdev so far have never given away any PS+ exclusive items unlike other developers to boost console players staying with PS+…

Last edited:
The more games you have, the less you pay per online title... playing a single title was never the design use.
I'll agree it was a conscious design choice to nickle-dime folks, but owning fewer online games shouldn't have to be a blanket excuse to throw the little guy under the bus.

The more games you have, the less you pay per online title..
The only statistic that really factors in is the amount of free time you have to play them. That may be one or a couple of hours every day regardless of how many online you own.

But lots dont ever buy from steam...
Not sure what you are trying to get across here.

Last edited:
You don’t really need PSN to play ED, it’s available offline as Solo.

The game is so open the chances of you finding another Cmdr outside of PVP or griefers hotspots is slim to likely zero, given the size of the game. I’ve played since launch and only ever seen maybe 10 other players, but I wasn’t really looking.

If co-op online is your preference you might be best hooking up with some of the ED PS group’s dedicated to group play. It depends really if you get your monies worth / afford in regards to other titles, but generally if you don’t then it’s not mandatory.

Last edited:
With PS+ you also get a couple of free games every month. (although you need to keep paying the PS+ subscription to play/have access to them).

The biggest is Cloud saves for multi titles (PC has to pay extra for this or do it manually on a free service) that HDD/SSD is not 100% failure proof It can fail.
Last I would worry about "game saves" if drives fail :D

Btw, does any body know how to turn off cloud for title in steam? I can't remove 5 years old saves because it restores it all the time.

1. Open your Steam client. Open its Settings by pressing the Steam button present at the top left corner of the window and selecting the option.
  2. Open the Cloud tab present on the left side of the screen. Check if the option “Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for the applications which support it” is checked.
    3-64.png.webp
    Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for the applications which support it
  3. Next click on the Library tab present at the top side of the Steam client. Here all of your games will be listed.
  4. Right-click on the game and select Properties. Then navigate to the Updates tab present at the top of the window.
  5. Here at the bottom of the window, you will see an option “Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for [game’s name]”. Ensure that the option is checked.
    4-61.png.webp
    Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for the Game
If you have both the options enabled, it means that your game is being backed up by the Steam Cloud and we can also delete the data.

I don't really play online games or do PvP, but back before when I played ED on PC I did enjoy being online and catching a glimpse of another commander at a station or somewhere in space. That hint of making a connection with someone was the best, to me personally anyway.

But it's been many months and I spend upwards of 40 USD for the 'privilege' of being online. I think I'm going to end that. Why is it even required? Doesn't Frontier host the game servers themselves? What service is Sony adding that I'm not seeing?

Deep space will pretty much be the same either way.
There's no reason to submit to Sony's ransom over your own internet connection.
Wouldnt mind if fdev unlocked CQC Pg and open for everyone on PS4 (and Xbox) cause the game is online even in solo mode (which works without ps+). Heck, you can even participate squadron and system chat too. So basically you're playing online but have features locked for no other reason than greed.
Paying to use your own internet connection on PS4 is just stupid, but sadly that's the way things are at the moment.
If not unlocking features, bots for CQC would be great so I could unlock those damn trophies that are hiding behind paywall

As the OP would know its 200GB of storage included... Not the peanuts google give at 15GB for free, this includes Photo and video and game saves from PSN ID...

Photos are nice, but there are ways to export those. Moreover game saves, cloud or no, are of little use with online games. I guess there might be a couple exceptions like Minecraft, but mostly it's a Catch 22.

Last edited:
As the OP would know its 200GB of storage included... Not the peanuts google give at 15GB for free, this includes Photo and video and game saves from PSN ID...

Instead of paying Sony, you can just use an external (or new internal) drive. Get as much space you need for cheaper :)
At least that's how I solved my storage issues with my ps4

Top Bottom