We meed some sort of update for Consoles

I'm tired of waiting months between 'updates' that only amount to "Yeah it's delayed indefinitely". We need SOMETHING. Some sort of acknowledgement of the console community as a whole. It's kind of wild to watch them say "Don't worry! Once it's fixed on PC we'll come work on console!" And then they start adding even more features to PC, further isolating us. It's just frustrating is all.
I do understand the frustration but they were clear.
They’ll work on consoles AFTER they fix the game on PC.
If I have to bet, I’ll have some information about it only after update 11 (which comes which FC interiors).

But in all fairness, your opinion doesn't matter to them right now, and I'm not trying to be mean.

If they wanted to give news they would, but asking the same thing week in, week out, is just a waste of your time and effort - they aren't suddenly going to repeat the same thing because you've asked again.

It'll happen when it happens. It's harsh on consolers, I totally agree with this sentiment, but you might as well find a brick wall to smash your head into really, as you'll probably get more information that way from going bonkers.

Sorry man, but it just is what it is. It's crap, but that's life at times.
You’re 100% right.
Right now is more a business decision and not only a technical one.
Do you really think is possible to run Odyssey in a 1.5TFLOP console? Almost impossible in my opinion.
Frontier now is fixing the game on PC, and after that they’ll have to decide if they’re gonna invest time trying do adapt a heavy engine that has performance issues even in a high end PC (with more than 15tlops), or release only to the new gen (which is much "easier” to do).
Hard business decision, because if they choose the second option (which is more realistic), they have to announce something big for their next FY.
Or a new game, or a new expansion for Elite.

Remember CMDRs, for every choice there is a consequence.

o7

I do understand the frustration but they were clear.
They’ll work on consoles AFTER they fix the game on PC.
If I have to bet, I’ll have some information about it only after update 11 (which comes which FC interiors).
It sounds like update 10 is going to be either primarily or exclusively bug fixes and optimizations, which they pushed the FC interiors back in favor of working on first.

I'm completely okay with that, and I hope that update 10 is a big push to bring Odyssey closer to that mythological "stable" state they're hinging the console port on. Much as the constant "are we there yet?" from the angry console folks is exhausting, it's about time we heard something about at least what the targets are for when FDev considers Odyssey "stable" and ready to resume console development.

Besides, we've waited far too long for our chance to watch a significant wave of console players go from "FDev is intentionally excluding us!" to "wait... that's all there is?" I need to use this box of microwave popcorn I've been holding on to before the expiration date passes.

It sounds like update 10 is going to be either primarily or exclusively bug fixes and optimizations, which they pushed the FC interiors back in favor of working on first.

I'm completely okay with that, and I hope that update 10 is a big push to bring Odyssey closer to that mythological "stable" state they're hinging the console port on. Much as the constant "are we there yet?" from the angry console folks is exhausting, it's about time we heard something about at least what the targets are for when FDev considers Odyssey "stable" and ready to resume console development.
I'm okay with having to wait for FC interiors, I'm not okay with the constant adjustment of even the shortest of schedules. I can barely remember an update where their rethoric didn't just keep switching around and things were readjusted or postponed. It would make me happy to see them have any semblance of having things under control and just delivering a few updates as promised and relatively on time.

I'm tired of waiting months between 'updates' that only amount to "Yeah it's delayed indefinitely". We need SOMETHING. Some sort of acknowledgement of the console community as a whole. It's kind of wild to watch them say "Don't worry! Once it's fixed on PC we'll come work on console!" And then they start adding even more features to PC, further isolating us. It's just frustrating is all.
We want an update, but we don't want it to be an update we don't want.

state of console: not happening until performance is at a state consoles can run it.

do you just want them to post that every day? you will get an update when there is something to update

I'm okay with having to wait for FC interiors, I'm not okay with the constant adjustment of even the shortest of schedules. I can barely remember an update where their rethoric didn't just keep switching around and things were readjusted or postponed. It would make me happy to see them have any semblance of having things under control and just delivering a few updates as promised and relatively on time.
this mentality is exactly why Fdev and so many others have switched to a radio silence mode

this mentality is exactly why Fdev and so many others have switched to a radio silence mode
Not sure how expecting some degree of professionalism is a "mentality" with an apparently negative connotation, but I'm not even talking about the stuff they're refusing to share. It's things like getting "significant performance optimisations" in Update 5, or no wait, Update 6. Did they say Update 6? They meant update 7 or 8 or well, they're just going to spread it over many more updates. Or how FC interiors were slated for Update 9 10 11 (but only if you caught that brief acknowledgement of another postponement during their latest stream).

Not sure how expecting some degree of professionalism is a "mentality" with an apparently negative connotation, but I'm not even talking about the stuff they're refusing to share. It's things like getting "significant performance optimisations" in Update 5, or no wait, Update 6. Did they say Update 6? They meant update 7 or 8 or well, they're just going to spread it over many more updates. Or how FC interiors were slated for Update 9 10 11 (but only if you caught that brief acknowledgement of another postponement during their latest stream).

I may be wrong on this but I don't believe Carriers were ever slated for Update 9.

I may be wrong on this but I don't believe Carriers were ever slated for Update 9.
It is possible I mixed up some communications, but they did (clumsily) include them in Update 9 after all. And then seemed mildly upset that people "leaked" things before their big reveal party.

I'm not sure if you've never worked on a project involving a large number of people but this is pretty normal and not indicative of a lack of professionalism.

Setting a plan and being able to adjust it as needed is the correct approach. Making a plan then forcing it no matter what comes up is how unprofessional upper management forces broken things through to save temporary face with investors and protect bonuses.

This means you have 3 options.

Don't communicate with the community so they can't call you a lier when things change.

Tell the community everything and remain transparent and accept raging pricks on your forums.

Lie about your plan and keep it vague and optimistic.

I know this may come as a disappointing shock, but software development is complicated and difficult. Sometimes deadlines need to be re-evaluated and pushed back in order for the new feature or bug fixes to happen. Sometimes, the tasks need to be broken down into smaller bites and released piecemeal over the course of months. Sometimes, things work just enough to get past QA testing (no matter how lax or rigorous that process is) and then break for unknown reasons once they hit the live servers, requiring days or weeks of slogging through code and assets to figure out where the break is.

There's a reason why certain game development studios tell people that the game will be released "when it's done".

I know this may come as a disappointing shock, but software development is complicated and difficult. Sometimes deadlines need to be re-evaluated and pushed back in order for the new feature or bug fixes to happen. Sometimes, the tasks need to be broken down into smaller bites and released piecemeal over the course of months. Sometimes, things work just enough to get past QA testing (no matter how lax or rigorous that process is) and then break for unknown reasons once they hit the live servers, requiring days or weeks of slogging through code and assets to figure out where the break is.

There's a reason why certain game development studios tell people that the game will be released "when it's done".
Sure it is, like everything else. But if re-evaluating deadlines and pushing back stuff is the rule rather than the exception, that excuse is starting to wear thin.

Anyway, how does that last bit reflect upon Odyssey's release? Was it done?

Deleted member 182079

D
Sure it is, like everything else. But if re-evaluating deadlines and pushing back stuff is the rule rather than the exception, that excuse is starting to wear thin.

Anyway, how does that last bit reflect upon Odyssey's release? Was it done?
I'm working in an industry where delays can become extremely expensive and at worst lives will be at risk. As such, there is a much higher degree of diligence, testing, and conservative planning involved when it comes to projects, including software related ones.

Game software devs probably don't feel need to apply those (imo always commendable) principles because... "well it's just entertainment innit". So on they go overpromising (hype generates pre-order sales) and underdelivering because you can always patch it later, and the customer base is okay with that already as we can see here and elsewhere so there's no reason to stop really.

Not the best time for any company to focus on the PS5 only:

The PS5 is Sony's fastest-selling PlayStation ever, with more than 10 million consoles sold so far.

Depends which way you look at it, doesn't it?

What's 10 million multiplied by £29.99 please Mr. Bevis?

The PS5 is Sony's fastest-selling PlayStation ever, with more than 10 million consoles sold so far.

Depends which way you look at it, doesn't it?

What's 10 million multiplied by £29.99 please Mr. Bevis?

Are you suggesting that 10 million PS5 console owners are all going to buy EDO?

116 million ps4 consoles were sold and yet console players only account for 1/3 of the playerbase of ED.

Welcome to the forums OP. Just some advice, take the advice given. If you show even an ounce of entitlement you wont get the answers in any serious or meaningful way. You want answers and have been given them. Just because you keep shouting it, doesn't mean the answer will be any different. FDev have nothing to announce. Its crappy and not really helpful, but thats the answer.

I feel if the OP finds out about open letters to FDev.... Damn, did I say that out loud?

Top Bottom