The Varjo Aero headset

Currently only compatible with nVidia cards (3070 and up, naturally), means AMD users are left out in the cold, according to the website vr-legion.de...

Though, honestly, if I had about 6,000 Euros to burn (that and a 3090), I'd be in faster than a ferret up a drain pipe... :D

Just to confirm the Varjo Aero is great for ED. Compared to a Reverb G2:

Positives:
  • Higher resolution, better performance
  • Near perfect edge-to-edge clarity, not just the very centre, so stars don't get radially smeared away from the centre
  • Zero god rays
  • Higher horizontal field of view

Neutrals:
  • Maybe lower vertical field of view than the G2, but fairly close
  • Chromatic aberration, quite bad near the edge - probably similar to the G2 for me

Negatives:
  • Edge distortions - for me, just the very edge, and very bearable. I know this is a big, big issue for some though, and the G2 is perfect here.
  • No built in audio - need to use ear buds (supplied) or your own headphones
  • No motion smoothing, but should be available at some point

Overall, a very big improvement for me over the G2, I was happy to re-mortgage to get one ;)

Just to confirm the Varjo Aero is great for ED. Compared to a Reverb G2:

Positives:
  • Higher resolution, better performance
  • Near perfect edge-to-edge clarity, not just the very centre, so stars don't get radially smeared away from the centre
  • Zero god rays
  • Higher horizontal field of view

Neutrals:
  • Maybe lower vertical field of view than the G2, but fairly close
  • Chromatic aberration, quite bad near the edge - probably similar to the G2 for me

Negatives:
  • Edge distortions - for me, just the very edge, and very bearable. I know this is a big, big issue for some though, and the G2 is perfect here.
  • No built in audio - need to use ear buds (supplied) or your own headphones
  • No motion smoothing, but should be available at some point

Overall, a very big improvement for me over the G2, I was happy to re-mortgage to get one ;)
Thanks for sharing this! Waiting for mine to be delivered, probably February... What are the colours like in comparison with the G2? And the blacks? Darker? Also! What are your PC specs?

Thanks for sharing this! Waiting for mine to be delivered, probably February... What are the colours like in comparison with the G2? And the blacks? Darker? Also! What are your PC specs?
Colours are probably a bit better/brighter, black levels similar (fine for ED I think, and zero glare!). My system is a 5800x with 3090 FE.

I was the biggest complainer about the barrel distortion, was very ready to send it back, but decided to give it a long session to get used to it. And I did, I really did. I really wasn't expecting to. I can still see it if I try, but only if I try.

Don't forget to mention how comfortable and light the headset is. I can wear it for HOURS.

I can't explain... the Varjo is amazing. Before with my G2, when I was "working in space" (using OVR Toolkit to bring up my desktop and do my programming work, while sitting in my python), I was sort of hiding the fact that somehow it felt underwhelming and unconvincing. Now it's actually true. My breath is taken away: I really genuinely feel like I'm in awe inspiring space every time i lose concentration and notice the stars. It's overwhelming and utterly convincing.

I was the biggest complainer about the barrel distortion, was very ready to send it back, but decided to give it a long session to get used to it. And I did, I really did. I really wasn't expecting to. I can still see it if I try, but only if I try.

Don't forget to mention how comfortable and light the headset is. I can wear it for HOURS.

I can't explain... the Varjo is amazing. Before with my G2, when I was "working in space" (using OVR Toolkit to bring up my desktop and do my programming work, while sitting in my python), I was sort of hiding the fact that somehow it felt underwhelming and unconvincing. Now it's actually true. My breath is taken away: I really genuinely feel like I'm in awe inspiring space every time i lose concentration and notice the stars. It's overwhelming and utterly convincing.
I spoke to you on the discord - so glad you like it now :)

Wildcat67 - I didn't have my headset then, so you got me a bit worried :ROFLMAO:
You wrote 'I know this is a big, big issue for some though, and the G2 is perfect here.', were you talking about me?

When I didn't realise who you were, I was feeling vindicated, like there are other people who were shocked by this, but now I'm not sure. Am I still the only one?

You wrote 'I know this is a big, big issue for some though, and the G2 is perfect here.', were you talking about me?

When I didn't realise who you were, I was feeling vindicated, like there are other people who were shocked by this, but now I'm not sure. Am I still the only one?
It was mainly with you in mind, but at least one other person said they preferred their G2 due to the distortion issue. There is quite a bit of discussion though - e.g. is my distortion worse than others? can Varjo eliminate it completely? is it broken? I guess it probably varies a bit with headshape.

Your initial reaction was the most extreme that I saw though, so I was wondering how you were getting on!

Haha fair enough. So you didn't have a moment of "this is terrible"?

Also wanna say that the colour and brightness makes a huge difference too. All in all its a perfect headset. I can't see it being topped for a long time

Haha fair enough. So you didn't have a moment of "this is terrible"?

Also wanna say that the colour and brightness makes a huge difference too. All in all its a perfect headset. I can't see it being topped for a long time
I think you lowered my expectations quite successfully 🤣

Just to note that the latest Varjo software update has largely fixed the Aero image distortions, and also improved chromatic aberration. The image in ED is quite stunning.

Top Bottom