Newcomer / Intro Exploring - Don't get it at all.

I know I'm doing it wrong, but it's very confusing.

Reading guides online it says to basically travel for 10 to 15 light years in any given direction and you should find some undiscovered systems. I've traveled 30 in two different directions and found nothing but already discovered systems.

I did have one hopeful moment though that I don't understand. I came out of warp into a system and it instantly lit up "You have discovered 123-4567". I thought, OK! So I killed the drive, hit the scanner and it said there were 12 planets in the system. I looked at the map and it already had "Discovered by NAME" on everything. It also had "First mapped by NAME" on most of it.

But looking at all the markers from the cockpit they all said "unexplored". So I hit the drive and flew around a bit. The scanner would start saying "Scanning..." as I got close then it would say "Discovered this type of planet". But when I looked at the map it had already been discovered and mapped by somebody else.

I really don't get it. I parked it for now and went back to mining, but thought I'd see if someone can explain it to me.

Thanks in advance.

They unexplored by you.
In a pristine system you won't see any markers in the cockpit, unless you fly close enough for the autoscan or use the FSS. Also the System Map stays very imperfectly populated until you find all bodies by either method.

Reading guides online it says to basically travel for 10 to 15 light years in any given direction and you should find some undiscovered systems. I've traveled 30 in two different directions and found nothing but already discovered systems.
The problem here is that a few zeros have gone missing. Try 1000 or 1500 light years from Sol and you'll start to find the occasional undiscovered system. Go three or four times that far (and not directly towards the Galactic Center or a major nebula) and you'll have rich pickings.

The guides must be very old.
In order to find undiscovered systems, you should fly at least 1,000 light years in any direction, possibly not along a busy route, like towards Colonia or Sag A*.

When you see the tag "Unexplored", it means unexplored by you, but someone else might have been there before you.

You will recognise a previously undiscovered system: when you enter it, no bodies will appear on your radar, and after you honk, the star(s) in the system will appear. The scan will tell you that there are n bodies, but if you open the system map, it will not show anything: that system will be for you to discover first, and once you sell its cartographic data, your name will appear on all the bodies you've scanned (and mapped).

Welcome recruit explorer! o7

Unfortunately, the guides you read were probably out-of-date. You need to travel about 600ly (and even then it's hard) in each direction to find undiscovered systems (and even then it's hard) . when on highly travelled routes, it is much harder to find undiscovered systems.

The first thing I did when I bought the game was go exploring. You need a ship with high jumprange to get the most out of exploration. I know I didn't have that when I started and I paid the price.

Good luck CMDR and see you out in the black.

-CMDR Noobqueen

A few tips for you.
Scoopable stars are KGBFOAM
This letter refers to the star type. There's lots of different types some you cannot scoop fuel from.
Always explore with a fuel scoop. You cannot jump expanded ranges using neutron stars and white dwarfs, without one.
Don't travel on well used paths. And remember the galaxy is wide and also deep. About 1000ly or so up or down on the galaxial plane. And 60+000ly in diameter. My math may not be right be its rough guide.
Look for waterworlds earth like world's and terraformable planets. These fetch high prices for uc data hand in.
Anything with water or life on it.
You scan the system when you arrive we call this honking.
Then you scan the system using the fss.
Once that's complete you switch to system map and goto any planets you wish to do a detailed scan of. This involves firing probes at it close up.
You'll get the hang of it. There's about 400 billion systems or something daft like that, in our galaxy "the milky way". We've to date explored less than 1%.
Personally I've "tagged" about 7000 or so systems. But I'm an amateur compared to some explorers whove scanned 100s of thousands in some cases.
The Black is a solitary place.
Serene.
Don't be afraid to land on planets take a look around in a buggy (srv which their are 2 types) or on foot in an artemis suit

o7

What I did was head towards Colonia, the other side of the Sagittarius Gap, roughly northeast from Sol (The Orion Spur). Head for the Scutum-Sagittarii Conflux, when you pop into a system and the star doesn't show up on your HUD for 3 to 5 seconds, it's an undiscovered system, honk it with your discovery scanner. I always move around the star, line up with my next jump vector taking my speed up to 5x the speed of light.

I do that to make sure there aren't any planets hidden behind the main (Closest) star.

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator

I did have one hopeful moment though that I don't understand. I came out of warp into a system and it instantly lit up "You have discovered 123-4567". I thought, OK! So I killed the drive, hit the scanner and it said there were 12 planets in the system. I looked at the map and it already had "Discovered by NAME" on everything. It also had "First mapped by NAME" on most of it.

But looking at all the markers from the cockpit they all said "unexplored". So I hit the drive and flew around a bit. The scanner would start saying "Scanning..." as I got close then it would say "Discovered this type of planet". But when I looked at the map it had already been discovered and mapped by somebody else.

I really don't get it. I parked it for now and went back to mining, but thought I'd see if someone can explain it to me.

Thanks in advance.
When you see "unexplored" in the Nav panel that's just because you haven't used the FSS on them yet, after honking the system. That will just give you the name of the planets.

As someone already suggested you would have to go a distance to find a system that is undiscovered. I tend to go far out to look for that, but I do get my name on a lot of planets as First Mapping.

The easiest way to find if you are the first person to step foot in a system:
1- Use Discovery scanner to honk the system. Note how many bodies it says there are in the top right corner.
2- Click on the system map and see if you see that number of planets/moons there, Click on the star to see if someone name is listed as first discovered. If not then u are the first. If you do see someone's name listed but no planets show up in the system map then you just have undiscovered planets so you'll get first discovered for said planets, and mapping if you choose to do it.

I learned just by going out to Colonia where I was sure to find tons of them, It's one of my favorite thing to do is land on a planet that no one has ever seen or been to. You'll get the hang of it after to find many of them. But you can definitely get a lot, and I mean a lot, of 1st mappings not to far from the bubble, putting your name on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guides both on the forums but especially out on the net can be outdated to the point of being useless by changes in the game always check creation or last edited dates. Anything older than the last game update might now be wrong.

Your on board navigational database is incomplete any system that it doesn't contain information for is marked unexplored targeting and scanning the Nav Beacon in the way you would a ship will get the information as will using your FSS or visiting each body when you reach planetary bodies and get close enough you can use your DSS to map the body. You can sell all this data to Cartographics more than 20Ly from the scanned system, if the system was previously undiscovered you will get a bonus payment and your name will appear in the system data.

Finding undiscovered systems will depend on how busy that bit of space is, routes to Colonia and other famous or scenic locations will be much travelled so discoveries will be rarer, heading off towards a bit of sky with no attractions is likely to get you discoveries much sooner also consider using economic jump mode when free of the bubble that will take you to more systems increasing your chances.

Even heading towards Colonia you’ll still find plenty of undiscovered systems (the route to Colonia from the Bubble is the most travelled route in the game, Sol(ish) to Sag A* isn’t too far behind) though if you want an easier win avoid those routes.

1000-2000 light years should easily see you in amongst some undiscovered systems, you may well get a few before that. Once out at that kind of distance you really should follow aRJay’s advice above and use ‘Economic Jump’ route plotting. You’ll be jumping at fractions of the distance that most Explorer’s jump (45-70ly or so) and will find lots of undiscovered systems in those gaps.

Now may be the time to suck it up and push to travel at least 5000ly from the system you started in - do that and you’ll get an invitation (eventually, you’ll need to unlock other Engineers before you receive it) from Prof Palin who’ll give you access to G5 Thrusters which are extremely useful. Even though he‘s locked behind other Engineers that you’ll need to gain access to before his invitation is given you’ll have got the requirement done and be ready when you have unlocked those Engineers.
You‘ll be fed up if you do a 3500ly trip now, discover you loathe exploration and return to the bubble just to have to go back out because eventually you’ll decide you really do want G5 thrusters.

A while back I got tired of running missions so I took my low-20s-LY jump range Python on an exploration trip and had a lot of fun! You don't NEED super jump range unless you head out to distant parts of the outer galaxy where the spiral arms spread out and stars get FAR apart. I found a good number of wholly undiscovered systems and got to claim them when I returned to The Bubble. I found some cooI NSPs - notable stellar phenomena - (by sheer luck not by planning!), some pretty nebulae, a Guardian ruins site, and some other fun stuff such as super-closely co-orbiting bodies. Neat to see those. I did some SRVing, I checked out some powerful geysers, mined some geologically-active sites for Mats, enjoyed some great planet-bound views, all out in the lonesome...

At times I can't help but think that CMDRs discover less stuff because they're taking 50+LY jumps and skipping past system after system. Exploration is about stopping and smelling the roses, if you will, as much as it is about other things like going long distances. (Yes, of course you can optimize your journey by filtering your route according to star types. That's all fine.) Besides, when you've made a thousand jumps, does it really pay to count them? If you're on your way somewhere, perhaps it is - perhaps. But if you're just exploring, just go until you're tired of it or until you're homesick ("bubble-sick")...

How you choose to equip your ship will be determined by what your exploration goals are and what you want to reach. There's nothing wrong with trying it out in a non-serious-exploration (or non-long-jump-range) ship. I did - more than once. There's really precious FEW things that are "mandatory" in this game.

These are my opinions.

Some details from exploration forays...
On that trip, my "blockbuster" system discovery was one which has 2 ELWs, 2WWs, and a number of HMCWs. [1] Yes, it was undiscovered at the time and I got credit for discovering it and for mapping a number of the bodies there. It was easily the most "valuable" system on that trip (not that I was worried about the credits, but still). It is located approx 4800LY from Sol- not an outrageous distance by any means.

On my very first foray out of The Bubble, I went towards the Pleiades, Orion, Witch Head, Running Man, and Flame Nebulae, Barnard's Loop, and more. These are very reachable, common destinations and very pretty to go see for yourself. I got first-to-map credit on bodies in some of those systems. One in particular, first-discovered by someone else, just 1417LY from Sol, I mapped 5 HMCWs and they were just 500 to 650Ls out from the star - not far at all! [2] It pays to look over the map when you arrive in a system.

There are a large number of closely-packed stars in the area right around the Orion Nebula and Running Man Nebula. It's mighty likely that the systems are not all thoroughly mapped. You can just amble around in that field of stars and see what you come up with.

Still not close enough? I got first-to-discover credit for a system that's just 594LY from Sol. [3] Admittedly, this is a stroke of luck but it's not impossible, especially if you go off-plane, not along traveled routes. I mapped many of the bodies there and got credit for them too (of course).

As other CMDRs have stated, ANY system that you have not yet visited will show you a "discovery" message if for nothing other than the drop-in body (the star). This doesn't mean that you're the first to discover the system. <- EDIT: This brings up an important, obvious question. See [EDIT] below.

Have fun out there and don't hesitate to try things or to ask questions. 🚀 :)

Refs
[1] Blaa Eoq IT-O d7-1
[2] Orion Sector ZE-A d16
[3] Synuefe IK-F B31-5

----------------------------------------
EDIT:
What's a quick way to determine that? 3-to-4 easy steps...
1) When you drop into a system, you'll be close enough to the star that your Discovery Scanner (DS) will scan it automatically. It's a good habit to "honk" the system using your DS upon arrival. (note a)
2) Open the System map (not the Galaxy map). Hover your pointer on the drop-in star.
3) If nothing's reported for "First Discovered by," congratulations: it's you! (note b)
4) #3 is true ...maybe (note c)

Notes
a) This "calibrates" the Full System Scanner (FSS), revealing the number of bodies (as a count reported to you) and their type- enabling the system map to show them correctly. (see sub-note a.1) This is an operation you'd have to do first anyway before you could perform a FSS.
b) I'll not say it's impossible but this is true because it's impractically difficult to "discover" any bodies in a star system without having first "discovered" the star at drop-in. This because you exit a hyperspace jump very close to the star and the DS scans it within a few seconds.
c) You'll get credit for this discovery and the galaxy map will permanently reflect this accomplishment (you're famous!) only if you're the first to sell the cartographic data when you return to The Bubble. That said, I believe that getting "scooped" is rare.

sub-note a.1) Bodies (beyond the range of the DS) displayed on the system map at this point will show as "unexplored" because you have not yet scanned them - not necessarily because no one else has. I hope that I've written this so that this distinction is clear. You'll see this traveling around The Bubble to systems that you have not previously visited but other CMDRs already have. (In fact, a drop-in star will show as "unexplored" if you open the system map and look at it before the DS has managed to scan it.)

I believe that I have all these details correct. If not, I'm sure others will chime in! :)

Last edited:
The problem here is that a few zeros have gone missing. Try 1000 or 1500 light years from Sol and you'll start to find the occasional undiscovered system. Go three or four times that far (and not directly towards the Galactic Center or a major nebula) and you'll have rich pickings.
OK.

Next stupid noob question: how do I tell where Sol is on the map in relation to where I am?

You guys keep rattling off the names of star systems as if I know anything at all about any of them. I remember learning about Jita in Eve online after two months of playing it. I have no idea where the systems are you're all talking about or what significance they have.

I'll check out some of the updated videos and see if it's even worth it. For the record, my Cobra can jump 10.2 light years as it sits; for whatever that's worth.

OK.

Next stupid noob question: how do I tell where Sol is on the map in relation to where I am?

You guys keep rattling off the names of star systems as if I know anything at all about any of them. I remember learning about Jita in Eve online after two months of playing it. I have no idea where the systems are you're all talking about or what significance they have.

I'll check out some of the updated videos and see if it's even worth it. For the record, my Cobra can jump 10.2 light years as it sits; for whatever that's worth.
Search in your nav panel in your ship

Here's a shot of where I am now - LHS 3615

I've gone about 10 jumps southwest as the crow flies on that map view.

20220412105522_1.jpg

At times I can't help but think that CMDRs discover less stuff because they're taking 50+LY jumps and skipping past system after system. Exploration is about stopping and smelling the roses, if you will, as much as it is about other things like going long distances. (Yes, of course you can optimize your journey by filtering your route according to star types. That's all fine.) Besides, when you've made a thousand jumps, does it really pay to count them? If you're on your way somewhere, perhaps it is - perhaps. But if you're just exploring, just go until you're tired of it or until you're homesick ("bubble-sick")...
This is what I've been wondering about as well. To me, and I could be totally missing something, but extended engineered jump distances would be more desirable for traders, and miners where you need to get from point A to point B as quick as possible to avoid pirates. But pure exploring, all you really need is a ship that is big enough to haul the things you need - fuel scoop, AFMU's (I take 2 so one can repair the other if needed), Shield Generator, SRV, DSS scanner, and a FSD drive to get you from one scoopable star to the next. To me, exploring isn't about getting from point A to point Z in one jump, but getting from A to Z by stopping at B, C, D, etc. . . along the way and gathering data as you go.

Getting back to the bubble as fast as possible to sell your data could be nice, but really isn't necessary - as you'll continue to "explore" as you head back home.

To be completely truthful though, the main reason I don't have an engineered drive (or engineered anything for that matter), is because I loath all the bullsh.t you have to do to get one. It would be nice, if a player had a few hundred million credits to spend, that he or she could simply just buy one, but alas I'm not a developer. ;)

Firstly, if you have a jump range of only 10ly you should probably forget everything I wrote earlier about the 5000ly trip into the Black for the Prof Palin invitation - it would take you forever and a day. It looks like you still need to just do some missions or trade until you can afford to upgrade some modules i.e. a 4A FSD (which would double your jump range before you've even purchased D rated (lighter weight modules) for Life Support and Scanners etc.

It looks like you're a Horizons user, rather than Odyssey, judging from the Galaxy map screenshot. If so, and I remember correctly, select the icon to the right of the higlighted one in the picture (the three connected spheres) and this will open your route planner. In that screen you can enter any system name into the entry box, hit enter and it will zoom into the location - you can also, obviously, plot a route to that system. Within that page you can decide what Star types to include in your trip if you want to ensure every system on your route has a fuel scoopable star.

You won't be able to enter Sol until you have gained the Permit. It is permit locked until you reach the Federal Navy rank of Petty Officer - to get this you need to take missions for the Federation and hit the Reputation reward when you complete them, you'll be offered 'Federal Navy' missions when you reach 100% at each rank. Complete that mission and you'll rank up. Reputation keeps increasing so even if it takes a while to be offered a 'Federal Navy' mission you will still be gaining Rep and may find you can jump up several ranks quite quickly once those missions are offered.

You can find star systems by name using the search box in the galaxy map. From your screenshot you're in Horizons, so it'll be in one of the tabs in that left hand sidebar. I can also highly recommend just taking some time to zoom in and out in the galaxy map and try the different modes to look at things from different perspectives. Zoom all the way out to see how small inhabited space is compared to the full galaxy (and roughly where in the galaxy we are). Use the Powerplay map mode (it'll turn the map into big colored bubbles) to see the extent of the Human Bubble and the general political lay of the land. Since ED is set in the real universe, search for names of real stars to see where they are (I recommend doing this with the map set to Realistic mode) - Sol, Alpha Centauri, Vega, Deneb, that kind of thing.

Yeah, while ED is set in the real galaxy and thus has most of the real stars you might have heard of, there's also an extensive Elite sci-fi lore. Maybe someone can link you to a good resource for that. Sol of course is our own Solar System - if you gain a few ranks with the Federation you can get the permit to go there and visit the stations orbiting the Earth or such like. Because it's the original home of humanity, it's the system most distances are measured from. There isn't really an equivalent of Jita though; with something like 20,000 inhabited systems (and a few hundred billion uninhabited ones) the playable space is just too spread out for there to be a singular trade hub like that.

Sounds like a 4D frame shift drive then? I'd strongly suggest doing a little bit of trade or bounty hunting to raise a couple million credits and get a 4A FSD in there. That'll get you to more like 25 LY range and make jumping around much more comfortable. You can simulate ship configurations and see their resulting stats using https://coriolis.io/ - and folks here will be happy to give you tips if you post a link to your build.

Top Bottom