Permit locked systems - What is FDev’s plan with them?

I’d like to call myself a patient man, but it’s been about 7-8 years and all of these systems are still permit locked? Col 70, Polaris, Regor, several out in the black, thousands of light years from the bubble…when is the whole mystery going to be up? Seems kind of pointless to have undeveloped game content for going on a decade and not have some sort of plan for these regions. I mean, everyone’s gripe with this game is largely to do with content and it seems like a wired thing to sit on for nearly a decade.

The rumor is that they were to be used for further development to experiment with things that the rest of the players would not see. That way they could mess with things and we don't see what they're doing a whole bunch of rumors that will never become reality causing tons of disappointment.

The suggestion that certain areas were locked off because future development (such as the COL 70 sector) was supposed to be set aside for the thargoid narrative. If we are lucky we may actually get to see what's in that area hopefully within the next 10 years at the rate things are going.

The rumor is that they were to be used for further development to experiment with things that the rest of the players would not see. That way they could mess with things and we don't see what they're doing a whole bunch of rumors that will never become reality causing tons of disappointment.

The suggestion that certain areas were locked off because future development (such as the COL 70 sector) was supposed to be set aside for the thargoid narrative. If we are lucky we may actually get to see what's in that area hopefully within the next 10 years at the rate things are going.
Yeah, so pretty much my feelings in this as well. I know Polaris was a pivotal location in the first or second Thargoid war, so figured that was probably also Thargoid related, just as Col70 is and Regor is to Guardians. Back when carriers had the “system data bug” I purchased a bunch of data in Regor and was surprised to find that some systems were discovered and even mapped. Which tells me that some had been in there l, post FSS update. Since it had the “discovered by” and “mapped by…” designations. I was under the impression they’ve been locked down since release.

Yeah, so pretty much my feelings in this as well. I know Polaris was a pivotal location in the first or second Thargoid war, so figured that was probably also Thargoid related, just as Col70 is and Regor is to Guardians. Back when carriers had the “system data bug” I purchased a bunch of data in Regor and was surprised to find that some systems were discovered and even mapped. Which tells me that some had been in there l, post FSS update. Since it had the “discovered by” and “mapped by…” designations. I was under the impression they’ve been locked down since release.
One of my early trips into the black as an explorer was going out in a Cobra to the horsehead nebula and I do remember I did not have any trouble with locked systems when I was trying to get there. Of course trying it now is an exercise in futility. Of course that trip that I had mentioned was done before horizons was released.

Hi all :)

One of my early trips into the black as an explorer was going out in a Cobra to the horsehead nebula and I do remember I did not have any trouble with locked systems when I was trying to get there. Of course trying it now is an exercise in futility. Of course that trip that I had mentioned was done before horizons was released.
Hi Leadfoot :)
Just wondering, can you still see or access (on the Galactic and system maps) those systems you personally went to or through?
Or can't you access them now on the map?
edit...I've noticed that some systems I've travelled through in the past, (way back), don't show up correctly as 'visited' stars or 'not visited'. That is to say I can access systems that are showing up as 'not visited' when in fact I know I've visited them, (they're showing up as red system dots). When I highlight the red system it brings up all the icons, Select, Plot route, Bookmark and the System map (white) icon.

Jack :)

Last edited:
The plan was to reserve some stuff in case the plans panned out.

I can understand Frontier reserving systems (permit locks) for this kind of stuff, but it seems to me the planning phase for those areas has been a bit of a muddle...a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted sort of thing in some instances. 🤷‍♂️...:rolleyes:

I'm in agreement with Staarlord.
Information forthcoming about the permit locked systems is very vague, which in my personal opinion will create a negative response from a players viewpoint....I'm not sure, maybe other players aren't too bothered?
Perhaps in one of the 'live streams' Frontier could at the very least give some form of indication if these areas are indeed being integrated into the game (for whatever reasons) sometime in the near future? 🤨

edit...I've noticed that some systems I've travelled through in the past, (way back), don't show up correctly as 'visited' stars or 'not visited'. That is to say I can access systems that are showing up as 'not visited' when in fact I know I've visited them, (they're showing up as red system dots). When I highlight the red system it brings up all the icons, Select, Plot route, Bookmark and the System map (white) icon.
There is a local file that contains the visited systems and is used to mark them as blue or red on the map. In case of losing this file (reinstallation on a new computer), all previous systems are shown in red even if you have visited them.

I can understand Frontier reserving systems (permit locks) for this kind of stuff, but it seems to me the planning phase for those areas has been a bit of a muddle...a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted sort of thing in some instances. 🤷‍♂️...:rolleyes:

I'm in agreement with Staarlord.
Information forthcoming about the permit locked systems is very vague, which in my personal opinion will create a negative response from a players viewpoint....I'm not sure, maybe other players aren't too bothered?
Perhaps in one of the 'live streams' Frontier could at the very least give some form of indication if these areas are indeed being integrated into the game (for whatever reasons) sometime in the near future? 🤨

It's been years those have been permit locked. A few of them even had "clue" pointing to them. Years ago.

Most of them are what they always have been. Places locked for possible future content. As it happens, it doesn't mean they'll get opened soon, or even at all. Sometimes plan changes, sometimes stuff got delayed. Sometimes it's even forgotten or cancelled.

There is a local file that contains the visited systems and is used to mark them as blue or red on the map. In case of losing this file (reinstallation on a new computer), all previous systems are shown in red even if you have visited them.
Hi :)
Okay, thanks for the information! (y), it's probably due to a computer part re-build I did a few years back.

The test systems you're talking about do exist, but they're completely invisible. FD aren't testing things in Polaris.

This whole permit lock rubbish is one of the reasons i stopped playing. Part of the reason i was playing was to see these systems, and whatever special things are in them. They're never coming.

The test systems you're talking about do exist, but they're completely invisible. FD aren't testing things in Polaris.

This whole permit lock rubbish is one of the reasons i stopped playing. Part of the reason i was playing was to see these systems, and whatever special things are in them. They're never coming.
All good things come to those who wait.
It's always been a slow burn since 2015, when the question was asked.
Soon though i hope, at least for some of them...

Top Bottom