Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | Update 12 Update Notes

🙄 VR support was not dropped. There's as much VR support in Odyssey as there is in Horizons. Technically, there's more because you can't drive around in a Scorpion in VR in Horizons.

Remember when they said there was going to be no VR Support in Odyssey and then everyone threw their toys out of the pram? They put it back in because it was relatively easy to do and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. It isn't as easy to put on-foot VR into a game, sure NMS did it but every interface in that game had to be redesigned and inplemented just for VR. It's a huge amount of work and do you see the non VR players happy for fdev to add that for the lucky few that have VR? The only fair way for VR-Odyssey to be implemented is if its a paid for DLC.
Why is it that Hello Games can do it, without a song and dance, for free (sorry, no additional cost) and Frontier can't?

Why is it that with regard to ED Frontier have become a 'can't do' company?

Answers on a postcard.

I thought so too and tried it in the company with an Nvidia GPU (admittedly not a fat card, but so far it was enough), same symptoms. in mountainous areas exobiology is unplayable for me at the moment 2-3 fps
Same happened to me exactly. I used to play with a FPS of 144, now when I get hovering my ship on the planetary terrain, it's sluggish and FPS drops to 1-2. Got an nVidia RTX 3090 with the latest drivers. Tried installing older drivers and deleted the graphics folder, restarted, game rendered planetary tech's cache once again, however still same problem. This happens while flying the ship above the planet's surface. Once you land and roam about on-foot the gameplay is stable. You get back on your ship, and there you have it once again, sluggish at 2 FPS. Let's just hope we do have a fix soon. Until then, the game is unplayable unfortunately.

Last edited:
o7 CMDRs, Is anyone experiencing FPS drop to 1 FPS while trying to land on planets with Bios and roaming about?

Used to get 144 FPS before U 12. Tried to re-install the nVidia driver to force the game to generate the planetary graphics files, but still got the same issue.

Even when I try to load up the Galaxy Map, there's a drop in FPS, and the screen fade a bit with slow performance. I've got an nVidia RTX 3090 with latest drivers.
Yep ! It happened to me yesterday night (3070 here).

Mostly on ship very close to the ground on a planet without anything around (500Ly from Colonia), non-responsive keyboard and all...
The game was running slower and slower and got way below 1FPS (next frame occurring sometime about 5-6 seconds later !)
It happened to me on two different planets in the same system.
I don't recall if there was biosignals on these planets as I was too busy to try (and fail) to NOT crash my ship at 0.2FPS! :eek:

I'll put a video of this here as soon as I can.

Edit: Before U12 everything was OK on the system (was landed on a planet in the system before U12, no problem, take off with U12 and the problems started to occur).
Edit: Updated timings of the actual framerate after checking my video :)

Last edited:
I played last night for like 3+ hours or so.
Had one hard crash to desktop right after the first login in the game in the system map

After deleting the content of the graphics folder ("%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics") it was really smooth and crash free

But, i had to abandon 3 restore missions that failed to register progress
And i did noticed a very very minor fps drop while approaching planets (i play 1080p, every setting maxed out, frame limited to 60fps) - as in fps dropping from 60 to 57-58 for a couple seconds - i wouldnt call that stuttering since i didnt register any.

In the areas where i dont usually get 60 fps locked i didnt noticed much improvements (maybe 3-4 more fps), but as i said everything felt smoother than in U11

I'm using latest nvidia drivers 512.95 on a gaming laptop with ryzen 9 5900 and rtx3080/16gb

You're an Apple boy, you must be used to a "can't do" company. Can't do your own repairs, can't do universal cords and appendages, et cetera.
You forgot can't use the macOS client any more.

I can play NMS in the future as Hello Games are expanding the reach of their game rather than contracting into a mvp. They'll be the novelty of not having to wait a year after release for an expansion to be ready as well.

If you are in the mood for troubleshooting, might be worth tying Nvidia driver 512.15 (frrom March) Ive had those stutterinng issues on planet surfaces with all versions after then
I tried that yesterday but it didn't change anything about the stuttering.
Note that, in my case, the stuttering is now a lot worse with U12 than it was with U11 (U11 was near perfect on my 3070).

You forgot can't use the macOS client any more.

I can play NMS in the future as Hello Games are expanding the reach of their game rather than contracting into a mvp. They'll be the novelty of not having to wait a year after release for an expansion to be ready as well.
They're just reflecting the 'can't do' attitude of some of their ex-players

Can't leave the forums alone
Can't say anything positive about the game
Can't stop griping

You know the type, they're quite tedious

Well, as I'm out in the black and don't have an auto-land feature, I'm in a position where my Anaconda cannot land on a planet surface.
If an when the blue circle does appear, it always changes to unsuitable terrain once below 25m off the ground.
As I'm essentially doing exobiology, I'm stuck and unable to play or stream this again until it's fixed which will hopefully be before the weekend as it's kind of a game stopper.
Have you tried to move slightly around the spot at very low altitude (~30m) ?
It can take time to find the exact spot you can land on.
Annoying but it works for me most of the time.

I'm verry confuse about this update... I don't know if I like it or if I hate it.

the good thing is that all the optimizations are welcome, and the game seems smother and more beautiful with medium graphics settings.

thinks that make me just... meh

using the on-foot interface while sitting is satisfying, but it sad to make it the major point of the update as it should have been a default feature when "sitting" have been implemented.

Think that’s just really disappoint me...

the first think that make me sad is fix that are not fix...

• On-foot commander panel should now display notoriety correctly
Yes, but not, just make the test, get on foot, kill some dude in an installation, check your on foot notoriety it still to 0

Get on your ship check notoriety it's now 3...

get back on foot, check ok now it's 3 too.

It will be nicer it just synchronizes while on foot without having to board/off board ship... but it's something...

Go the think that really me of...

What the hell did you do with that thing -->

• When a player's bounty is claimed whilst they're on foot, their active ship will be impounded at the detention centre they're sent to.
letting players having the abilities to choose to surrender from his ship or on foot if the result is the same.

Now you always be town away on your ship and have to transfer it from the detention center to your favorite system each time. Because smart people Always have fast travel ship park nearby their favorite detention center.

The game mechanic was so simple and well design:
you die on your ship or surrender on your ship --> you'll be impound at detention center on your ship

you die on foot or surrender on foot --> you'll be impound at detention center on your feet BUT your ship remains in place.
that All the point of adding shipyard terminal if you forgot your ship. Now what the point of it if your ship is now smart enough to follow you like a space dog...

please revert this change or add on option in the redemption screen to choose to be move with your ship or not.

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Yep ! It happened to me yesterday night (3070 here).

Mostly on ship very close to the ground on a planet without anything around (500Ly from Colonia), non-responsive keyboard and all...
The game was running slower and slower and got way below 1FPS (next frame occurring sometime about 20 to 30 seconds later !)
It happened to me on two different planets in the same system.
I don't recall if there was biosignals on these planets as I was too busy to try NOT to crash my ship at 0.05FPS! :eek:

I'll put a video of this here as soon as I can.

Edit: Before U12 everything was OK on the system (was landed on a planet in the system before U12, no problem, take off with U12 and the problems started to occur).
Hey there, can you tag me when you post the video please? :)

View attachment 309349

Still having this issue...
Yeah was hoping it was part of the same thing as the NV rendering over avatars, guess not.

Pretty sure there's multiple reports on this but i added to this one:

@Zac Cocken , since you seem to be watching this thread.
Its a nuisance bug and not gamebreaking, but it really reduces my enjoyment of the game. The fact that it was fixed before (update 6?) and then came back in update 11 is just..discouraging.

They're just reflecting the 'can't do' attitude of some of their ex-players

Can't leave the forums alone
Can't say anything positive about the game
Can't stop griping

You know the type, they're quite tedious
Which part of this update is positive for you?
When there is nothing positive to say at the moment sadly. The problems and issues are overweight the positive aspects of the game. Only positive for me is that elite looks on pc a good portion better compared to consoles, but this was the case before EDO hits

Last edited:
Postcard: Why is it that you seem to never have anything nice or constructive to say??? Because you're a big ....
If you look back half a decade or more I had many nice and constructive things to say. But whatever I say makes no difference, the state of ED lies in Frontier's hands.

The thing is, can you refute that Frontier have become a can't do company when it comes to ED? Look at the build up to Odyssey and see what has been put to one side. And that's not painful because I say it, it's painful because Frontier have done it.

🙄 VR support was not dropped. There's as much VR support in Odyssey as there is in Horizons. Technically, there's more because you can't drive around in a Scorpion in VR in Horizons.

Remember when they said there was going to be no VR Support in Odyssey and then everyone threw their toys out of the pram? They put it back in because it was relatively easy to do and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. It isn't as easy to put on-foot VR into a game, sure NMS did it but every interface in that game had to be redesigned and inplemented just for VR. It's a huge amount of work and do you see the non VR players happy for fdev to add that for the lucky few that have VR? The only fair way for VR-Odyssey to be implemented is if its a paid for DLC.
Hummm.. not sure about that...
The on-foot VR could be mostly manageable using a secondary controller for on-foot gameplay (and I suppose current VR user do that currently in EDO)
No, the problem with odyssey and VR is the current game performance (computing 2 displays per frame instead of one in pancake mode).
In it's current state EDO can barely compute one display at an acceptable resolution/framerate so...
True VR in Odyssey would require a MASSIVE performance boost to be doable (and sadly, the game is really far from that right now).

Top Bottom