Discovery Scanner - 01/08/2022

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Greetings Commanders!

Another new week and another new month begins in the Galaxy!
This month is shaping up to be one of those months on the excitement and anticipation scale - it's sitting pretty high on it, we can say that much because Update 13 is coming next week!

Actually, allow a little more to be said as I deliver to you today the latest instalment of our Discovery Scanner: https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/discovery-scanner-01082022

Have a wonderful week ahead in the Galaxy, Commanders.

Fly safe o7

Last edited:
Me! I am the organizer of Wings of Life IV: Stream For The Stars

It is a 73+ hour stream relay to benefit Starlight Children's Foundation and all the delivering of happiness to seriously ill children and their families at more than 800 children’s hospitals and health care facilities.

Starting at 2300 GMT in my stream @ www.twitch.tv/super_chicken
There will be giveaways, shenanigans and I heard some Elite Dangerous revenge will be happening.

CMDR's involved are:
Karhaa
Xcaliber009
SeleneStardragon
OrangePheonix
SoldierSailor
DrKayRoss
NanyaBizniz
Akanixon
Brother Sabathius
Tiilzy
ACowForAllSeasons
Zeke_Gaming
Eralam_237
Father_Bill
and, of course, myself

Attachments

• Starlight_Image_Promo_.png
    Starlight_Image_Promo_.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

sallymorganmoore

Me! I am the organizer of Wings of Life IV: Stream For The Stars

It is a 73+ hour stream relay to benefit Starlight Children's Foundation and all the delivering of happiness to seriously ill children and their families at more than 800 children’s hospitals and health care facilities.

Starting at 2300 GMT in my stream @ www.twitch.tv/super_chicken
There will be giveaways, shenanigans and I heard some Elite Dangerous revenge will be happening.

CMDR's involved are:
Karhaa
Xcaliber009
SeleneStardragon
OrangePheonix
SoldierSailor
DrKayRoss
NanyaBizniz
Akanixon
Brother Sabathius
Tiilzy
ACowForAllSeasons
Zeke_Gaming
Eralam_237
Father_Bill
and, of course, myself
Ahhhh FANTASTIC!! Thanks so much for posting!
So I wonder if something strange has gone on with the details on the event calendar for you because also the start time was way off.
Can I confirm the end time too please (roughly) so I can make sure the Discovery Scanner is now happily up to date :)?

Thanks!!!

This month is shaping up to be one of those months on the excitement and anticipation scale - it's sitting pretty high on it, we can say that much.
You are pretty straight up, Sally - so a difficult question:

Why is there such silence shrouding the "Exciting - but we can't tell you about it", rather than treating us like grown-ups (I'm sure there are one or two on the forum) and telling us, in general, what is planned? Why the need for utmost secrecy?

sallymorganmoore

Why is there such silence shrouding the "Exciting - but we can't tell you about it", rather than treating us like grown-ups (I'm sure there are one or two on the forum) and telling us, in general, what is planned? Why the need for utmost secrecy?

Honestly, I never set out to treat any of you as anything other than adults at all, so that's really sad to hear that the opposite might be felt.
I'm not sure where I said I can't tell you why we're excited really - Update 13 is announced as coming next week and...well I'm absolutely in that very state of excitement and anticipation that I mention in the opening paragraph about it, if no one else is (which everyone is, of course. Figure of speech) - haha.

Last edited:
Honestly, I never set out to treat any of you as anything other than adults at all, so that's really sad to hear that the opposite might be felt.
I'm not sure where I said I can't tell you why we're excited really - Update 13 is announced as coming next week and...well I'm absolutely in that very state of excitement and anticipation that I mention in the opening paragraph about it, if no one else is (which everyone is, of course. Figure of speech) - haha.
I wasn't referring to you in that regard, rather the general "Exciting, but we can't talk about it" approach used when referring to the future developments of this game in particular.

Had I considered you did not treat us as adults, I would not have had the brazenness to ask you ;)

sallymorganmoore

I wasn't referring to you in that regard, rather the general "Exciting, but we can't talk about it" approach used when referring to the future developments of this game in particular.

Had I considered you did not treat us as adults, I would not have had the brazenness to ask you ;)

Haha, gotcha. It's nice to know you feel you can ask these things so openly and not in an argumentative way - thanks!
Trust me though, that the last thing we want to do is belittle you all.

Truly, in this particular instance of the excitement I'm flapping at in the opening post - It's no secret, it's in the game updates bit about Update 13 being announced as being next week and I assumed people might catch on to that being the reason :)
I'll be more specific in the 'exciting headlines' part to stop any ingrained feelings toward us hiding things that you feel we might already be certain of, but are being weirdos and not telling you for jokes or something (perish the ACTUAL thought. Never, ever, ever).

The inferred reason is that whatever new content is coming in Update 13 is tied directly to the narrative beat of Salvation activating the Proteus Wave, and saying what is going to happen before it happens would effectively be Frontier spoiling their own story. You are asking them to tell you the end of the movie as they're building up to it.

The inferred reason is that whatever new content is coming in Update 13 is tied directly to the narrative beat of Salvation activating the Proteus Wave, and saying what is going to happen before it happens would effectively be Frontier spoiling its own story. You are asking them to tell you the end of the movie as it's building up to it.
No, I asked about future content, always hailed as "Exciting, but we can't talk about it" rather than U13, The Proteus Wave is going to be a disaster, if it isn't the AX players are going to be very salty.

No, I asked about future content, always hailed as "Exciting, but we can't talk about it" rather than U13, The Proteus Wave is going to be a disaster, if it isn't the AX players are going to be very salty.
Right. But if, for example, the "we can't talk about it" is Thargoid on-foot combat, it kind of kills their own narrative to be like "Oh man, what's gonna happen when the Proteus Wave goes off! So anyway in Update 13 there will be Thargoid on-foot combat." See the problem?

I'm not sure there's been any "Exciting, but we can't talk about it" with reference to future content tbh.

afaik the status currently with regard to content is:
  • conclusion of current narrative which will probably include new content
  • next narrative arc starts
  • rework of an existing mechanic

I'm not sure there's been any "Exciting, but we can't talk about it" with reference to future content tbh.

afaik the status currently with regard to content is:
  • conclusion of current narrative which will probably include new content
  • next narrative arc starts
  • rework of an existing mechanic
I listen to the streams - Arf is still "excited" about stuff coming next year, the "something never before done", but they still can't talk about it.
But if, for example, the "we can't talk about it" is Thargoid on-foot combat
Which can only be played by Odyssey owners - well, it might sell a few more copies, but there would be outrage here by the folk who cannot / will not play for their own reasons, perhaps their PC is too weak, or they don't want to buy the "FPS game", whatever... So, although I'd love it to happen, I sincerely doubt it is going to occur this year.

Haha, gotcha. It's nice to know you feel you can ask these things so openly and not in an argumentative way - thanks!
Trust me though, that the last thing we want to do is belittle you all.

Truly, in this particular instance of the excitement I'm flapping at in the opening post - It's no secret, it's in the game updates bit about Update 13 being announced as being next week and I assumed people might catch on to that being the reason :)
I'll be more specific in the 'exciting headlines' part to stop any ingrained feelings toward us hiding things that you feel we might already be certain of, but are being weirdos and not telling you for jokes or something (perish the ACTUAL thought. Never, ever, ever).
Master of evasion

Top Bottom