Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

We've to transfer to PC to play Odyssey and get new content, but the console versions will still be playable, with only "critical updates" - likely only bug fixes :_ .
That is correct however in terms of this update, when I go back and read the console portion of the prior announcement, this saga is not going to be part of it.

So I'm saying in order to experience the update, we have to transfer to PC. Notice the article specifically references PC and not all platforms

That is correct however in terms of this update, when I go back and read the console portion of the prior announcement, this saga is not going to be part of it.

So I'm saying in order to experience the update, we have to transfer to PC. Notice the article specifically references PC and not all platforms
Well going by Obsidian Ant's latest video, it said that we'll get the last part of the Asamith Saga, so we're getting SOMETHING :) ..

Well going by Obsidian Ant's latest video, it said that we'll get the last part of the Asamith Saga, so we're getting SOMETHING :) ..
Shrug...again I could be wrong but below is what I have been going by.

We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

how "realistic" ED is one easily can see with FD´s design of FC´s!
Supposedly your platform shall lower and slide backwards into parking position (thats what U experience eg. when going to the concourse).
By design of FD thats not possible as the platforms are directly adjacent, hence mechanically would overlap..... or like M-Pad 9 that parking position would be in space.....

View attachment 316446

edit: with M-Stations the same btw.....
Carrier pads just lower and raise, They do not slide back or rotate like station pads.

If a Steam Deck can run Odyssey, then so can the latest XBox and PS5 (strictly from a hardware perspective). I totally agree that PS4 and older XBox are the wrong targets for future games, however. Why Frontier decided to focus on depreciated tech rather than the new generation of consoles is baffling to me. Heck, they won't even tune the current console version of Horizons to take advantage of this new technology (quite the opposite, as Horizons regularly CTDs on PS5 IIRC). Odyssey not running on modern consoles is totally on Frontier.
Which is why I said earlier in the thread that the main reasons I think they dumped consoles likely boils down to costs ( having to code a console compliant client on top of the PC one and having to pay both Sony and MS every time you push an update ) and quality control ( Sony for example WILL remove your game from sale if it's broken/full of bugs like Odyssey was for months, as CDPR found out with CP2077 ). I just couldn't resist agitating the guy who somehow thinks consoles are the gold standard of gaming no matter what info you put in front of him. The AVX argument was indeed aimed at the PS4/Xbone. The PS5/XSeries part was just pointing out to him that the "next gen" consoles only compare to mid tier PC's whereas he seems to think they're some kind of god tier. I have nothing against consoles themselves, I understand why many like/prefer them. But some just get a little too fanatical and it makes me wanna have some fun.

From what I can make out the plan is to move everyone onto a single code base (4.0). Those who have Odyssey will have access to everything, while those still on Horizons will have certain things 'disabled' at certain 'choke points', such as not having a 'disembark' option from either their ship or SRV and not being able to land or plot a taxi to an atmospheric planet settlement (Edit: as they can never disembark, they'll never be able to book a taxi, so that's a moot point). Otherwise both 'versions' will essentially be the same, down to previously Odyssey only content such as the Scorpion, which will be offered to Horizon players either as a sign of good faith or because they can't easily disable access to those new features.

Three issues delayed this move; the host of bugs, particularly performance related ones, that were present at launch, which have been 'sufficiently' resolved. Console compatibility, which has been resolved by abandoning console development. And finally the remaining problems with planetary tech which were resolved by abandoning any further attempts to resolve them. Yes, I'm aware of the irony of the latter two issue resolutions.

This will leave one single PC code base and a console version(s?) that will be put on life support. Commercially all of his this makes perfect sense and probably was planned for Q3 of 2021, were it not for the botched launch.

As for the Azimuth resolution, and the game narrative moving forward, that's anyone's guess, but I suspect they're going to try something radical, on the same level as the World of Warcraft Cataclysm update, to reinvigorate the franchise.

Last edited:
So my understanding of consoles future is slightly clearer now, we will be able to fully participate in Azimuth The Movie !!! 😂😂 but what do people think will happen to Consoles after Horizons 4.0 drops?, will we still be able to play the game as it is currently but without narrative updates? Incidentally, does narrative updates mean not being able to participate in any CGs?
A response from FDev would be welcome.

With the merge of game codebase atleast for PC version now, can we expect some more improvement and better bugfixing in the game? Given the dev now only have to maintain 1 branch of codebase.

I would think that decision was based on economics, early release was a snatch grab for income, which misfired. A proteus wave lol.
The return on investment whilst trying to push the story, which they will have made, meant delaying that with the potential small return on console was no longer commercial sense.
Their original plan was to continue as can be seen in the horrible console based UI changes.
This is kinda confirmed with their early write off of the 7 million development costs of Odyssey.

With the merge of game codebase atleast for PC version now, can we expect some more improvement and better bugfixing in the game? Given the dev now only have to maintain 1 branch of codebase.
You mean like before the launch of Odyssey? I suspect it would make more commercial sense to assign any additional resources to other projects.

Read it again?
A confirmation that everyone on Horizons / Odyssey will be able to participate in the conclusion to the Azimuth Saga was given - in this case Frontier did not specify that it would be PC only...

Therefore, Horizons players will be able to witness the final event in the Azimuth Saga and access related gameplay scenarios

No exclusion of console players mentioned. But further narrative planned will be only on v4.0

Moving forwards, all PC players will have access to content in the next narrative phase given they are using version 4.0, except in cases where on-foot gameplay (and by extension, Odyssey) is required.

Where it is specific that only PC players will be able to access this content, provided they are using the V4.0 client.

Granted, they may have made an error and forgotten to mention that they are only referring to the PC using players, but I'd have hoped, at this juncture, that clarification would have been given, to prevent further resentment.

how "realistic" ED is one easily can see with FD´s design of FC´s!
Supposedly your platform shall lower and slide backwards into parking position (thats what U experience eg. when going to the concourse).
By design of FD thats not possible as the platforms are directly adjacent, hence mechanically would overlap..... or like M-Pad 9 that parking position would be in space.....

View attachment 316446

edit: with M-Stations the same btw.....
That's not how landing pads on FCs work.. they don't do the turning and moving. If you criticize inconsistencies, at least do it properly.

so the whole update is just a merge? without new content or what?
Two things are happening.

Next Tuesday, Update 13 release. Bugfixes, optimisation, support for upcoming narrative. Expect a lot in that (for Odyssey players). Probably very little for current Horizons players.

Some weeks later, An update for Horizons to use the 4.0 engint that Ody runs on will be released. Expect fearures gameplay to be largely the same as current Horizons, however it will take place in the same universe as Odyssey. So new planet tech, changes to how planet surfaces and planetary POI are presented. You will not get access to the things that Ody DLC entitles you to (on foot gameplay, tenuous atmosphere planets etc.). You will have the option to continue flying Hrz as it is now, but that universe will be separate from the Ody universe and you will not be able to instance with Ody players, or with Horizons players on the new codebase.

Top Bottom