Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

I’m aware of the Salome incident but was that a spur the moment thing or was a date and time announced ahead of time?

Usually when developers have a live event for their game they say live event happening on this date at this time..

We knew a few days in advance of when that would happen in terms of the actual community event.

Other aspects relating to the puzzle uncovering that led to that event were spur of the moment type events that only happen once as well.

Another example would be jaques

Yeah, last time that happened was before EDO dropped.. 😄
Ouch. You had to remind everyone, didn't you. :D

With that uncomfortable reminder in mind, I am allowing myself to be optimistic on this. Between the hype campaign - and I have to tip my hat to the FDev social media team who have been doing a great job here - and the codebase merger, it seems like FDev wants U13 to be a fresh start for EDO. I wish them Godspeed. EDO has a ton of potential for gameplay. Heck, even in its rough-around-the-edges current form, it has a lot to offer. It deserves a second look by those who dismissed it because of the launch debacle.

Here's hoping that U13 finally kicks off that longed for "New Era." Maybe we can even get the SagEye presses rolling again! 🤞

So Fdev gives PC players the ability to choose to play with 3.8 or 4.0 for free and this is the response? 🤨
Tough crowd...

the stragglers who are holding on to 3.8 dont see this as a choice so much as a first step toward being dragged into 4.0. Their opposition of such a step needs to come before it's already done ...so you're getting negative feedback about it for that reason.

and I think if the inevitable conclusion is getting all clients on 4.0 to realize development savings and reduced overhead in maintenance, i dont see why this is being positioned as a choice and not just for what it is, a temporary option so non-odyssey players can get used to the new UI and differences in performance and behavior. I dont really see how you can accomplish the goals stated while retaining it as something players can login and play...whether it's 1 player or hundreds, having it at all prohibits you from removing all of the added workarounds built into the bgs and servers for odyssey and related bugs. But i guess we'll have to pretend like that's not what's going to happen just like we had to pretend that consoles weren't going to be cancelled despite that being extremely obvious months in advance due to literally everything fdev was not doing.

Maybe it might be best just to wait and see what update 13 brings, rather than make stuff up about it.
It certainly wouldn't do for the doom people to burn themselves out before the main event.
Forum traditions and all of that.

Nobody is making stuff up and there’s no mystery about what 4.0 does, it’s been around since EDO released.

the stragglers who are holding on to 3.8 dont see this as a choice so much as a first step toward being dragged into 4.0. Their opposition of such a step needs to come before it's already done ...so you're getting negative feedback about it for that reason.

and I think if the inevitable conclusion is getting all clients on 4.0 to realize development savings and reduced overhead in maintenance, i dont see why this is being positioned as a choice and not just for what it is, a temporary option so non-odyssey players can get used to the new UI and differences in performance and behavior. I <snip>
The game is still being developed, of course all the current versions will be superseded by a newer one. How can that be a shock or surprise? I can't wait for Odyssey to be the new 3.8 when V5.0 comes out...

Nobody is making stuff up and there’s no mystery about what 4.0 does, it’s been around since EDO released.
I'll admit to being curious to see if 4.0 client has the 30% FPS drop in Horizons that it does in Odyssey - which, of course, assumes that U13 hasn't brought any 'substantial' improvements to performance, like sorting out the allegededly dreadful mess the shaders are in.

Roll on the roll-out, it won't be next week, more likely closer to console transfer time, I'd guess.

Best just to wait for it, it's only a few days away unless Ratty's overly doomy prophesy comes true.
U13 is only a few days away, V4.0 Horizons follows later - I assume to be just in time for the console transfers, which are only a few weeks away, after all.

At least I don't claim some of the massive performance drops I have read others post - my last check was around 30%, when U13 arrives, and prior to EDH 4.0, I'll run the same comparisons.

I expect it to, but would still prefer to see it myself, rather than assume the worst ;)
When I ran 4.0 in SeasonOne (ED) and SeasonTwo (EDH) modes a while ago, it ran no different to Odyssey - maybe ED mode was a bit faster, as it doesn't render landables as actual planets, and just used the billboarded sprite method used for non-landables. So I have fairly great reason to suspect it'll run the same...

Top Bottom