Fiction Elite: Legacy

I am really enjoying the book, up to chapter 11.
I also took a trip over to Freeholm to see what it looked like last night.
It would be good to have a training playable demo to play out the Sidewinders v Cobra and Eagle chapter.
Also playing original Elite at the moment and thought it would be good to have a worm hole that took us back to the 1984 Elite game?

Last edited:
It's probably been asked before, but here goes anyway....

Michael, is an audiobook version planned for those of us with dodgy eyesight?

Thanks - I believe they're already fixed on e-book versions.

Michael

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case with Amazon. I bought the kindle version a month or so ago and ended up getting a refund as it was still the old version with the typos. The kindle samples still haven't been updated so I'm assuming the full version hasn't been either. :(

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case with Amazon. I bought the kindle version a month or so ago and ended up getting a refund as it was still the old version with the typos. The kindle samples still haven't been updated so I'm assuming the full version hasn't been either. :(

Thanks - I'll investigate.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Having read both The Dark Wheel and Legacy, I cannot see the connection between the two books.

*SPOILER*

I know that both stories have a similar structure in that both Alex and Julia lose their fathers, end up following in the footsteps of said parents, and then finally avenging the deaths of their respective loved ones. But is that it?

*SPOILER*

Don't get me wrong Legacy was an excellent book - the 2nd half especially, had me gripped to the end. Since Legacy was billed in the Kickstarter campaign as a sequel to The Dark Wheel, however, I was expecting more of a direct follow up - perhaps the adventures of a descendant of Alex and Elyssia, or Freeholm being the remains of the mysterious planet Raxxla and Laphria/The Empire wanting it for the alien technology still hidden there. I definitely wanted to see the Dark Wheel themselves involved somewhere along the line. There was a throwaway reference to Raxxla near the beginning the story but...

Have I missed something obvious? PLEASE answer this because it's bugging me something rotten - to point where I'm trying to contact the author directly, lol.

Thank you Michael. Your answer is much appreciated. I was really starting to think that I had missed something somewhere along the line. I hope you write more Elite: Dangerous novels in the future - if you do, I'll definitely be buying :)

Thank you Michael. Your answer is much appreciated. I was really starting to think that I had missed something somewhere along the line. I hope you write more Elite: Dangerous novels in the future - if you do, I'll definitely be buying :)

Honestly I think the thought of 'This isn't an /actual/ sequel' crossed my mind briefly long after I finished it. It was just an excellent book.

PS. That said, having read some of Michael's non-Elite works I did keep expecting things to keep getting worse which kept me on the edge of my seat.

Last edited:

SlackR

Banned
I started this book an age ago and its only on this last vacation that I have found the time to sit and finish it. I dont like to graze books, but prefer to devour them in as few sittings as possible and a lot of recent train journeys afforded me such an opportunity.

It has been an extremely enjoyable read! I am a fan of Elite fiction in general and have been impressed by many of the authors efforts but Mr Brookes is a dark horse indeed and posseses quite a literary flair! The characters were engaging and I could empathasise with all of them, irrespective of their profession, gender and overall likability. The plot was well thoughtout and the fight sequences beautifully scripted. I was a little disappointed...
when Hammer died
... but such is life is this dangerous galaxy of ours!

5/5 :)

Last edited:

Michael Brookes

Game Director
I started this book an age ago and its only on this last vacation that I have found the time to sit and finish it. I dont like to graze books, but prefer to devour them in as few sittings as possible and a lot of recent train journeys afforded me such an opportunity.

It has been an extremely enjoyable read! I am a fan of Elite fiction in general and have been impressed by many of the authors efforts but Mr Brookes is a dark horse indeed and posseses quite a literary flair! The characters were engaging and I could empathasise with all of them, irrespective of their profession, gender and overall likability. The plot was well thoughtout and the fight sequences beautifully scripted. I was a little disappointed...
when Hammer died
... but such is life is this dangerous galaxy of ours!

5/5 :)

Thanks - I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

Michael

Matthew Florianz

Senior Audio Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
Only finished it two weeks ago, but I read through it in just three sittings.

I was completely engrossed in your attention to detail and descriptions of procedures, tactics and engagements. It even added depth to playing the actual game when leaving a station and thinking of flight control, flying into an asteroid belt or seeing a lone security vessel on patrol. I miss the characters.

I also enjoyed how you
... how you escalated the story in a a way that is consistent to both the build-up and the outcome. A very clever twist as it allowed the 7 samurai (so to speak) to actually defeat Goliath without fear of the clan of Goliath retaliating... if that description makes sense.... I wonder what happened to Belin, maybe I can pop over and ask ; )

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the book too. I'm not going to put in spoilers - other than to say I really hope the Imperial Cutters make it into the game :)

Also, I went into the Galaxy Map and searched for Artemis. In it I saw that Freeholm is now under the control of Artemis Empire Assembly! If I want to 'help' Julia's side in the game, should I help the minor faction 'Artemis Resistance'?

Michael Brookes

Game Director
I really enjoyed the book too. I'm not going to put in spoilers - other than to say I really hope the Imperial Cutters make it into the game :)

Also, I went into the Galaxy Map and searched for Artemis. In it I saw that Freeholm is now under the control of Artemis Empire Assembly! If I want to 'help' Julia's side in the game, should I help the minor faction 'Artemis Resistance'?

That depends on whether Julia is still there :)

Michael

Top Bottom