General / Off-Topic Star Trek: Picard

Yeah, it feels keeping Sci-fi shows in the 90s were easier than today, and the seasons lasted for 25 episodes each. Today it's half that length, and a lot get's canceled after 2-4 seasons.
Why is that i wonder...

I think the US preference for twenty-odd episodes per year is why a lot of stuff fails. Such production requires team writing and can result in very "parson's egg" runs. I much prefer the UK / EU idea of quality and a single creative vision over quantity. Money of course is the root of this evil, thank the lord for the BBC. ;)

Aye PH! We must protect the beeb from those who wish to instil profit motive into every aspect of life. It’s not perfect but still excellent! The drama feature of the iPlayer is a necessity on deep space exploration. New Dr.Who series was utter tripe mind!

Really hope the Picard thing is at least well written.

I think the US preference for twenty-odd episodes per year is why a lot of stuff fails. Such production requires team writing and can result in very "parson's egg" runs. I much prefer the UK / EU idea of quality and a single creative vision over quantity. Money of course is the root of this evil, thank the lord for the BBC. ;)
oth, the six episodes and gone forever thing isn't very satisfying. :p

I agree with this. America does make a few good shows that are essentially 8 episode runs, Bosch and Stranger Things leap to mind, but by and large the 20+ run series mentality is your advance warning that the writing is going to be insipid, nonsensical and boring.

Yeah, it feels keeping Sci-fi shows in the 90s were easier than today, and the seasons lasted for 25 episodes each. Today it's half that length, and a lot get's canceled after 2-4 seasons.
Why is that i wonder...

I think with so many ways to distribute a show these days you have a lot more folks taking chances. The 90s were dominated by a handful of networks. There's some really out there stuff these days. For example, my wife and I gave Dirk Gently the Holistic Detective a shot and while it wasn't for us we are very glad it exists.

Source: https://youtu.be/eA-GJNebJj0

Anyone else looking forward to this?

We've got one of the finest actors ever reprising his all time favorite role. Plus with the setting of the trailer we see clear nods to the Best of Both Worlds/Family trilogy of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. I consider those some of the finest sci-fi anywhere.

What a time to be alive.
Whilst I respect your opinion wrt ST:TNG, to me it was little more than regurgitated fan fiction. Few if any new stories, just modernised rehashed of the original series and expanded universe stuff.

So no, not really hyped at all, but I'll watch in case it gets close to ST: Babylon 5 er DS9

Frontier Forums Login _ Frontier Forums - Google Chrome 25.05.2019 22_26_15.png

Now if somebody releases a show called "Reynolds" (or Malcolm or Mal) with the retired captain of my favorite Firefly-class ship, along with his companion Inara and 100 fat children running around on his ranch, well... You can bet on my pretty blue bonnet that I'll be watching that :D

Though my luck Deadpool will show up and shoot him out of jealousy before the season is half-way through....

Source: https://youtu.be/eA-GJNebJj0

Anyone else looking forward to this?

We've got one of the finest actors ever reprising his all time favorite role. Plus with the setting of the trailer we see clear nods to the Best of Both Worlds/Family trilogy of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. I consider those some of the finest sci-fi anywhere.

What a time to be alive.

I'm looking forward to it but I'm worried too. It looks like he owns a vineyard and is asked to come out of retirement. That is basically it. If that is the extent of the writers imagination for a trailer.... :S

I'm looking forward to it but I'm worried too. It looks like he owns a vineyard and is asked to come out of retirement. That is basically it. If that is the extent of the writers imagination for a trailer.... :S
Plus apparently it takes place in the Abramsverse, not the real canon ST.

Top Bottom