Would you buy an ED single player spin-off like Squadron 42?

I actually meant that it should be fully integrated in the main game... :)

Then it wouldn't be a standalone game and maybe not entirely singleplayer unless you play it in solo.
I would prefer your version though, a personal campaign that would establish your position in the galaxy, with multiple outcomes preferably, whether you'd become a trader, fighter, explorer etc.

It's not that hard to imagine the perfect version of ED, to bad that's all it will be though, imagination.

Yes i know. But i met you half way on that for the sake of thread compatibility.
Im also fresh off night shift and not long awake, im only on my first cup of precious life-giving coffee and the language centres of my brain are still booting up.
I can feel a wall in there, that i have to physically push through before any sentence i write makes a lick of sense.

With existing Tip-Offs, Chain Missions, Mission NPCs, there already have some of the key features of some sort of mini-story functionality. That feature of Tip Offs, where you only get info from a Permanent POI if you have the "correct key", is massively powerful to obfuscate missions within an open environment, and is not at all utilized.
I suspect that the 3 re-writes of the Mission Board generator to avoid mode hopping has kicked the possibility of developing these ideas in the wobblies a few times. I would bet the force behind Tip-Offs has long since moved on, or given up.

Proc-Gen mini stories would be valuable and doable
Proc-Gen career stories are a small step beyond
Hand crafted missions dont really fit with FDs MO, and would probably cause everyones personal narrative to be the same events, but not necessarily in the same order
I am Dragonborn ? No I am not, and neither are you.

Yes, definitely. I'd have preferred ED to be a single player offline game anyway, just like the previous Elite games.

To my mind the majority of ED's problems (by which I mean things the player base regularly complain about) - ganking/griefing, unfairness of non-open modes in PP & BGS, disconnects, poor network performance and the broken state of things like multi-crew, the introduction of the much maligned 'Telepresence' in lore - are all caused or exacerbated by the decision to make it an online multiplayer game (with an option to play solo, yes, but only as a 'mode' that still uses the same persistent galaxy).

I'm not saying ED shouldn't be a multiplayer game, it is a great setting for one, I just think they should have made the offline single player "Elite 4" first and then used that as a basis for releasing a separate dedicated multiplayer version as " Elite Dangerous" later, as a stretch goal perhaps. It's the fact that ED ended up a weird mist-mash of the two, very often having to please two very different types of play-style and players that causes most of its troubles IMHO.

Last edited:
One of the problems I have with MMOs is that when everyone is doing the same things in the same shared world, then that world feels more like an amusement park or 'The Amazing Race' show than an actual, immersive world. In a truly single-player game, you get to experience the world change around you based on your actions in a logical, progressive way as you go through the various quests and narratives.

Ironically ED's 'generic' mission system is probably better for a shared MMO galaxy than scripted quests would be, since we are all doing our own thing, even when it is the "same" thing. Now how would that look if all players were given the same storyline and interact with the same NPCs? Unless Frontier was clever enough to do a hybrid hand-crafted story with procgen NPCs, goals, and rewards where I'm helping Sally retrieve her kidnapped brother and you're helping Bill retrieve his kidnapped wife in a different system...

There's big difference between single player only games you've mentioned and game like Elite, where everyone plays in shared galaxy.
So, all of a sudden half of people lived through the same personal narrative, saved the same people from death and rescued the same virgins because they bought it for £15? Let's not forget rewards adventure like that should provide. Sounds like pay-to-win scenario.

It just sounds like you guys are bored with Elite premise of being open world sandbox.
Okay....

Sounds like pay-to-win scenario.
Pay to win means that you put money in microtransactions to have more powerful guns that kill all enemies faster than a standard weapon or you access to better and more powerful game mechanics that makes a in-game difference to other players that don't buy it.
Which is of course not this case because a single player campaing adds a scope to the game and some more interaction with the player but doesn't give you anything for free because everything you gain you obtain it playing the game with the current assets and not through some magic transaction that makes you stronger and faster.

Yes i know. But i met you half way on that for the sake of thread compatibility.
Im also fresh off night shift and not long awake, im only on my first cup of precious life-giving coffee and the language centres of my brain are still booting up.
I can feel a wall in there, that i have to physically push through before any sentence i write makes a lick of sense.

Take it easy on yourself man, nightshift can be a real drag.
Slowly breatn in and out and enjoy your precious coffee. ;)

Pay to win means that you put money in microtransactions to have more powerful guns that kill all enemies faster than a standard weapon or you access to better and more powerful game mechanics that makes a in-game difference to other players that don't buy it.
Which is of course not this case because a single player campaing adds a scope to the game and some more interaction with the player but doesn't give you anything for free because everything you gain you obtain it playing the game with the current assets and not through some magic transaction that makes you stronger and faster.
Tbf, that isn't what Pay2Win is.

Pay2Win is paying real-money to gain any in-game advantage over non-payers, be it XP boost, extra credits or items, skipping grind, etc.

To that end, Elite's Kickstarter rewards (e.g. Cobra starting ship) and Horizons itself (access to Engineers) are Pay2Win, albeit with minimal impact (Cobra is a relatively weak ship; Horizons is very cheap on-sale, while gathering materials and unlocking Engineers/tiers takes considerable gametime anyway).

As per the thread topic, if Campaign/Missions gave tangible rewards that provide an advantage in Elite Dangerous' main multiplayer environment, then it could be considered Pay2Win. Giving only cosmetics, or minor rewards (such as a Cobra/Viper, materials for crafting, etc), would minimise any impact and therefore negative opinion to Pay2Win (if applicable).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play#Pay-to-win
Pay-to-win
In some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or downloadable content may be able to gain an advantage over those playing for free who might otherwise need to spend time progressing in order to unlock said items. In general a game is considered pay-to-win when a player can gain any gameplay advantage over his non-paying peers. Such games are called "pay-to-win" by critics.

Last edited:
Hey, that's how I always feel! :D

One of the problems I have with MMOs is that when everyone is doing the same things in the same shared world, then that world feels more like an amusement park or 'The Amazing Race' show than an actual, immersive world. In a truly single-player game, you get to experience the world change around you based on your actions in a logical, progressive way as you go through the various quests and narratives.

Ironically ED's 'generic' mission system is probably better for a shared MMO galaxy than scripted quests would be, since we are all doing our own thing, even when it is the "same" thing. Now how would that look if all players were given the same storyline and interact with the same NPCs? Unless Frontier was clever enough to do a hybrid hand-crafted story with procgen NPCs, goals, and rewards where I'm helping Sally retrieve her kidnapped brother and you're helping Bill retrieve his kidnapped wife in a different system...
Absolutely.

I cant answer this untill they are done working on elite to many things would need to be added to make the spinoff game that elite is not ready for yet

Top Bottom