exploration minigame 6 months later

But, poor FD spent so much time, effort and money on the FSS that they are trapped. Trapped into telling us that in fact, it's good! Here to stay.

They want to believe the FSS is good. Of course they do. No one likes to admit they totally misjudged the clients of their own industry.

But, when lying in bed at night they know, they know, that it's really, actually, really lame.

(one of the lamest things added to an established game. Like, ever).

I actually feel sorry for them,

Edit: And I mean that nicely :)

Where's Braben - anyone seen him in a while?

Last edited:
Exploring the cosmos first order of business: Park Spaceship 😒

Keep in mind we haven't gotten to steps two and three yet... Play with accelerometer(?) telescope sensor aiming, then play with radio dial until you align the only and already given signal.

I don't get it. This is just busy work for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Exploring the cosmos first order of business: Park Spaceship 😒

Keep in mind we haven't gotten to steps two and three yet... Play with accelerometer(?) telescope sensor aiming, then play with radio dial until you align the only and already given signal.

I don't get it. This is just busy work for the sake of it.

Watch original Star Trek - it's exactly what happens. The Enterprise drops into a system and then stops while Spock looks into his viewfinder and twiddles a (really? 'kn0b' gets censored?) or possibly two. Then he gives Kirk the coordinates for any hot alien chicks and they fly off to the planet for some 'tricordering'.

If you treat every system as an episode of Star Trek it all makes sense, right down to the barren planets with polystyrene rocks.

Last edited:
Watch original Star Trek - it's exactly what happens. The Enterprise drops into a system and then stops while Spock looks into his viewfinder and twiddles a (really? 'kn0b' gets censored?) or possibly two. Then he gives Kirk the coordinated for any hot alien chicks and they fly off to the planet for some 'tricordering'.

If you treat every system as an episode of Star Trek it all makes sense, right down to the barren planets with polystyrene rocks.
So you're saying the 2020 update will have hand to hand lizard rock man combat? :unsure:

Was going to say something else, but I've forgotten what now.

Oh, we need that Doppler radar ping sound effect too.

Last edited:
When the 3 most prolific explorers (according to EDSM) are all saying that the FSS has spoiled exploration then I think it's reasonable to say there's an issue - the issue being that exploration gameplay has been changed at a fundamental level, without any consultation with the playerbase.

It's great that you and @IndigoWyrd are enjoying exploration now - and I'm sure that you're not the only ones. The problem is that your enjoyment has come at the expense of other people's. FDev should have designed a system that allowed both old and new explorers to enjoy the updated gameplay - and that should have been more than just keeping the ADS as an option.
It's an issue for them. If the game is doing well, if the FSS is popular and many people are exploring, that's all that Fdev will care about. Having three of the most previously prolific explorers not exploring anymore doesn't mean anything apart from the fact that they don't like the mechanic. That's life, things change, adapt. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the mechanics, its just a matter of personal preference.

So, I know that when the new explo minigame was added, opinion was somewhat mixed. Some liked it, others, didn't. I for one thought it was pretty repetitive, time consuming, and "took me out of the game". In fact I got so bored of it halfway to the core, I basically stopped playing and left my ship floating there for 6 months (I just logged in and flew it back to the bubble a couple days ago). Anyway, now that we've had some time to get used to (or tired of it), what's the current consensus? I for one would prefer to lose the second mode, go back honking from the main mode, having everything discovered, then using the data to determine if anything is worth looking at, THEN firing a probe at the planet of interest that automatically maps the whole planet, all without the mode switch or minigame. I think this would be a better compromise between the formed simplistic method and the current overdone method. Discuss.
Never used the fss, the guide was so boring my eyes glazed over after page 3.....

When the 3 most prolific explorers (according to EDSM) are all saying that the FSS has spoiled exploration then I think it's reasonable to say there's an issue - the issue being that exploration gameplay has been changed at a fundamental level, without any consultation with the playerbase.

It's great that you and @IndigoWyrd are enjoying exploration now - and I'm sure that you're not the only ones. The problem is that your enjoyment has come at the expense of other people's. FDev should have designed a system that allowed both old and new explorers to enjoy the updated gameplay - and that should have been more than just keeping the ADS as an option.

I guess the argument against both is similar to having fast SC travel. If someone chooses the fast version they have an ‘advantage’ over someone choosing the slow version.
I’m all for both versions of exploration and SC but I doubt either will happen because there are a lot of people attracted to this game that are against the fast version of things

Well, is it?
From the extremely limited stats from steam, it seems to be. Concurrent players seems okay but that's not a perfect representation, but it's all I have. Last time there were concurrent players at the level we have now, there were around 70-100,000 active players on steam.

Whether that's still the case now, I don't know. And that doesn't include players not using steam and the consoles.

I guess the argument against both is similar to having fast SC travel. If someone chooses the fast version they have an ‘advantage’ over someone choosing the slow version.
I’m all for both versions of exploration and SC but I doubt either will happen because there are a lot of people attracted to this game that are against the fast version of things

There is no fast nor slow version of supercruise. They just added auto pilots.

Scanner, they did the exact opposite. Past ADS could autotune automatically.

You seem to be right tho, lots of people from the forum seem to enjoy passively running Elite's timesinks while doing the laundry.

There is no fast nor slow version of supercruise. They just added auto pilots.

Scanner, they did the exact opposite. Past ADS could autotune automatically.

You seem to be right tho, lots of people from the forum seem to enjoy passively running Elite's timesinks while doing the laundry.

You misunderstood.
The comparison is that there are one or two threads that surface once in a while, you may have noticed them, that suggest game mechanics for a faster or more engaging SC. These posts get shouted down by the people who like staring at a counter and to boot they want to ensure no one gets the option to do any other. Same applies to the current exploration mechanic.

As far as mini games go, the FSS isn't that bad. The thing that ruins it for me is the frequency with which I have to use it.

It would have fitted perfectly in my mode of exploration, had it not replaced the reveal of the system map. That took away the decision: do I want ro investigate this system? And replaces it with: investigate every system to determine whether you want to investigate a system. It doesn't work. It makes the FSS busy work instead of a tool to be used when I want to use it.

To the point I stopped playing the game. And after months I miss playing the game, but the chore of having to FSS about every system stops me from coming back to it.

time for another classic. steamcharts! \o/

on-topic: a bit surprised about how many here consider the fss crap, but you should know i said the fss is crap before saying the fss is crap was cool!
So am I. The way some people go on about it, you would think it's 100s or 1000s of people. But it's only about 10-20 people.

I'd not class the FSS as the most profound game mechanic ever designed for sure.

I do remember a fair amount of forum suggestions about---

"Some kind of SRV wave scanner like thing, but for space would be nice, so we could seek out the planets instead of them just instantly being revealed" (Paraphrased from many threads of the past)

and also, I don't think the probe thing is the best possible way it could have been done (Personally, I would like it if firing a single probe, mapped that area, and showed you what was in that place - instead of showing nothing until you hit 90%, then everything, binary systems aren't generally that engaging) But I did see an awful lot of---

"Wouldn't it be cool if we could fire probes at the planets to map them? kind of like that mass effect thing? it sucks having to scan entire surfaces by eye, it makes no sense, where is our space tech?" (again paraphrased from many posts I remember)

Previously.

As I say, I'm not convinced these game mechanics are the most well designed things in gaming history, and my personal thoughts on them are many.

I don't think anyone can deny Frontier tried to respond to the general idea of what the player base seemed to be wanting though.
See this is interesting. The Mass Effect thing particularly. I've never played any of those games, but just to clarify, you're saying there was a comparable probe mechanic in Mass Effect? Because if this was raised on these forums then it would as you say be pretty sound evidence that FDev did at least try to respond to the angry demands for an improvement to exploration.
That's not logically sound. That the 3 most prolific explorers have said that FSS has spoiled exploration, it's reasonable to say that exploration has changed, sure. And we can see that it's changed in a way that the 3 most prolific explorers don't like. That's as far as that can take us, though. Everything beyond that depends on other assumptions. Is it an issue for the game as an objective experience across the playerbase that these three people aren't enjoying exploration any more? I mean it's sad - for what it's worth I'm not trying to be callous here and I think it's always a shame when someone falls out with something they'd previously enjoyed. But from a logical standpoint the fact that three players don't like a change just isn't evidence in itself that the change is bad. Might be that three other players who do like the FSS will (or maybe have, for all I know) become renowned as the 'three most prolific explorers' in future.

As for 'without consultation with the playerbase', I mean I'm old so I remember the days when games weren't always-online constantly evolving 'live services': they made a game, you bought it, and that was that. You liked it or you didn't. And if you didn't you abandoned it or you took to mods to change it to make it closer to what you liked.

Still, things have changed and now we expect the developer of a game to tailor it to all our individual preferences and satisfy everyone, otherwise they're not doing it right. But even allowing for this weird expectation, the reasoning above doesn't work:

The 3 most prolific explorers have said FSS has spoiled exploration
THEREFORE
There is an issue
AND
That issue is that exploration has changed without consultation.

Doesn't follow.

Well, is it [the game doing well]?
What is the measure of 'doing well'?

I can't help but think, not for the first time, that it would've been nice if ED had been single player. Then we could mod it (or in my case use other people's mods) and not have to worry about everyone's copy, everyone's game experience, having to be exactly the same.

As far as mini games go, the FSS isn't that bad. The thing that ruins it for me is the frequency with which I have to use it.

It would have fitted perfectly in my mode of exploration, had it not replaced the reveal of the system map. That took away the decision: do I want ro investigate this system? And replaces it with: investigate every system to determine whether you want to investigate a system. It doesn't work. It makes the FSS busy work instead of a tool to be used when I want to use it.

To the point I stopped playing the game. And after months I miss playing the game, but the chore of having to FSS about every system stops me from coming back to it.

Your view is similar to my own (which hasn't changed since my initial one when the beta went live), although presumably I have a broader playstyle & have continued to play & just not explored so much as I might otherwise have before 3.3.

As a tool to do a job I think the idea of using a telescope to view distant objects as an alternative to moving closer to reveal information about a body makes some sense and am happy to chop & change how I scan bodies within explored space.

What was previously the ultimate challenge in the game for me (finding fumeroles) has become so routine I visit them for their mats now.

Overall it feels like the rush-job it was and 8 months later there are still major artistic, design and implementation flaws & bugs that should have been addressed by now even if we ignore the elephant in the room.

4/10.

Top Bottom