Ship Builds & Load Outs 1.2 million cobra configuration for bounty hunting, feedback please

The problem with the Cobra, despite it's hardpoints is it has very little shield capacity, and not alot of armor despite it having I [think] the fastest or second fastest speed in the game. You're better off upgrading to a larger ship than squeezing out more parts on it, to be honest.

With that said, the Cobra still has its uses, its high speed, good jump range and ample storage capacity make it perfect for smuggling.

The problem with the Cobra, despite it's hardpoints is it has very little shield capacity, and not alot of armor despite it having I [think] the fastest or second fastest speed in the game. You're better off upgrading to a larger ship than squeezing out more parts on it, to be honest.

With that said, the Cobra still has its uses, its high speed, good jump range and ample storage capacity make it perfect for smuggling.

as parry has said: the cobra has weak shields. and it has quite a big hitbox.

it is the fastest ship in the game.

you can use that speed in combat (to some extend): going into a fight fast, then moving away, till your shields are recharged (bi-weaves are great for that), using boost and FAOFF-flip boost to get behing your target etc. i would always get the best thrusters and the best powerdistributor for a cobra. i play high-res with a cobra, but i wouldn't take one into a CZ or HAZ RES (at least not for a longer time).

concerning your build: the small hardpoints are hard to hit with, i have turrets there - that helps. because a cobra won't be very long on target in combat, i'd suggest a medium beam for one of the multicannons. (or a burst as a compromise) - so that you can strip shields faster. under the belly i run turreted burst + canonn.

i think, you should have a look at either a viper mk III (if you haven't flown one) - or a diamondback scout. the scout is an amazing bountyhunter, and cheaper to outfit than a cobra. the viper mk III is even cheaper, has really good shields, but it doesn't have the jumprange or manouverability of a DBS.

A little bit over budget and better shields and boosters when funds become available are recommended, the medium pulses could be changed to medium m-cannons but I'd keep the small pulse turrets for shield work.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/03C3A3A2D3A3D2C1b1b1919000643020124.AwRj4yyA.IwBj4yWI?bn=Viper LR

I disagree with this build.

SDC is generally a waste of a slot. Unless you [really] need to use the bathroom or just generally bad at docking, it's unneeded.

Replace the E2 cargo rack with an E2 fuel tank, all fuel issues solved on the Viper then and there.

C1 pulses switch to Gimballed multis and switch from a SB to a second chaff launcher and use hit and run tactics. You can now comfortably fight players in vultures if you're careful enough.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_...-4753v62h.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==?bn=maddany's ride

It currently feels like the ship is fairly fragile when targeted. Should I get an A4 power plant, A4 shields and A4 thrusters (going into 4+ million) or would this money be better spent on a bigger ship?

Thanks!

To the OP, if you plan on doing any kind of battle in the Cobra you need to upgrade the bulkheads and A rate everything but sensors and life support in the standard slots (& I suggest a rating those too). Also the Cobra is more of a Smuggler/explorer than a dedicated combat ship. Here is my explorer/rare trader/smuggler Cobra Mk III. http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_...0k0333B32i2f24.Iw1-kA==.IwBj4jXI?bn=Carol Joy

She does darn good against pirates that interdict her and if they are too tough she can run away fast. Now you are looking at around 10M credits for this build but 1.8M credits are for the advanced discovery scanner and the detailed surface scanner. If you are building a dedicated bounty hunter, I would swap out an A rated shield booster for the chaff and swap out the cargo rack and both scanners for HRPs (Hull Reinforcement Packages). I hunt Pirates with this build but do not do CZs or HRES with her. I have another baby for that (see below).

A much better option for a dedicated Bounty Hunter is the Viper Mk III. Here is my dedicated combat build. http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/33A...B42f24.AwRj4yyA.CwBhEZzaa8CYg===?bn=Nancy Ann

I run an Advanced Discovery scanner so if I come into a system with a compromised nav beacon and I don't have data on the system, I can scan and locate everything. Also has a 3B fuel scoop for long range kill missions. Bi-weave shield and mirrored composite bulkheads for very good surviveability in a CZ or HRES. Also any good bounty hunter needs a kill warrant scanner. If you are doing strictly combat bonds in a CZ swap out the KWS for an A rated shield booster then swap back for Bounty Hunter/Pirate Kill missions of just freelance bounty hunting at nav beacons. Keep the Cobra Mk III for Rare Trading/Smuggling/Exploration

SDC is generally a waste of a slot. Unless you [really] need to use the bathroom or just generally bad at docking, it's unneeded.

I've had a badly damaged ship blow up on the landing pad because I hit it just a little too hard. A SDC is just cheap insurance for those situations. I also happen to like the Blue Danube Waltz. And a SDC saves a lot of time when docking. Just a personal choice here.

P.S. and to top it off and I am rather old (ever played Doom 2 vs 2 on a token ring network and do you remember dial up bulletin boards?) and DO need to really, really go to the bathroom sometimes :D :eek: :rolleyes:

The cobra is a wonderfully classy old broad and I wont hear a bad word against her but I'm a sentimentalist.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=203740&p=3159027#post3159027

I've parked mine in mothballs for the moment; but I'll never trade her in.

When I finally get my ASP (or another ship if FD has a new multipurpose ship in game by that time), the Carol Joy will be parked in my home system just waiting for a suitable mission (whenever I finally choose one).

Replace the E2 cargo rack with an E2 fuel tank, all fuel issues solved on the Viper then and there.

C1 pulses switch to Gimballed multis and switch from a SB to a second chaff launcher and use hit and run tactics. You can now comfortably fight players in vultures if you're careful enough.

That Viper build is a low cost version of what I use for CZ's the "full fat" version is below ;), I've even used one with a 2D FSD to keep the mass down (jump range 4 LY) the SDC is zero mass and powers down when the weapons deploy I like it cause I'm lazy ;) not because I can't dock, There are empty bays if you want an additional fuel tank but I'd probably fit a smaller one or run the stock half full for CZ's.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/03A3A3A2D3A3D2C1b1b19190604-40-24.AwRj4yyA.IwBj4yWI?bn=Viper LR

I've parked up my more powerful Clipper a while back and am fly my Cobra again. A fully kitted Cobra with military grade armor is worth just shy of 8 million. I keep at least one shield booster and chaff on board mine at all times and I do just fine. You don't need to upgrade if you rather keep the ship. Upgrading is always and option though.

This is my current build. Not the greatest build ever but it works for me.

HARDPOINTS

2F/G BURST LASER
MEDIUM HARDPOINT

2F/G BURST LASER
MEDIUM HARDPOINT

1G/G MULTI-CANNON
SMALL HARDPOINT

1G/G MULTI-CANNON
SMALL HARDPOINT

0I CHAFF LAUNCHER
UTILITY MOUNT

0E CARGO SCANNER
UTILITY MOUNT

INTERNAL

1I MILITARY GRADE COMPOSITE
BULKHEADS

4A POWER PLANT
REACTOR BAY

4A THRUSTERS
THRUSTER MOUNTING

4A FRAME SHIFT DRIVE
FSD HOUSING

3A LIFE SUPPORT
ENVIRONMENT CONTROL

3A POWER DISTRIBUTOR
POWER COUPLING

3D SENSORS
SENSOR SUITE

4C FUEL TANK (CAPACITY: 16)
FUEL STORE

4E CARGO RACK (CAPACITY: 16)
INTERNAL COMPARTMENT C4

4E CARGO RACK (CAPACITY: 16)
INTERNAL COMPARTMENT C4

4A SHIELD GENERATOR
INTERNAL COMPARTMENT C4

2A SHIELD CELL BANK
INTERNAL COMPARTMENT C2

2A FUEL SCOOP
INTERNAL COMPARTMENT C2

1A COLLECTOR LIMPET CONTROLLER
INTERNAL COMPARTMENT C2

The Cobra is (probably) the best value multirole ship in the game, it's good at everything and only loses out a little to dedicated combat or trade ships. :)

I personally say the Diamondback Scout's the best for what it gets. That and it can get more armor than a stock Conda for a fraction of the price

The Cobra MkIII is still one of my favourite ships to fly. Although I have a Fer de Lance, Imperial Clipper etc. for CZ and heavy transport jobs, it's the Cobra MkIII I prefer for light cargo runs, planetary landings etc. If it finds itself in trouble it can boost out - it's the fastest thing in the game with a light load.
This is my all-round explorer / trader set up. If I'm mainly exploring then I'd probably lose the Prismatic Shield for a 4D. Like others have said above, the SDC can be very useful - once initiated the Speeding sign disappears and you can get docked quickly - (This was very useful when doing the Hutton Orbital Mug Quest runs, and Code were blockading the platform. Boost in / request docking / SDC on / straight on to the pad and in).

With regard to weapons, I tend to go for smaller lasers re heat and energy, and heavier kinetic weapons - lasers do not incur a penalty against shields, whereas kinetic weapons do incur one when causing damage to hulls of larger ships. Hence I have the 2 beam lasers in the small slots, and the multicannons on top. With the small Class 3 power distributor, this set-up seems to work very well.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_...24.Iw1-kA==.CwBj4iGZyo==?bn=Cobra A grade PSG

Well over budget I accept but it shows what the Cobra can become in time....
Downgrading the fuel scoop, shield, and powerplant down to C-grade will shave off a lot of the costs here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom