1 FPS

I get several SPF every time i begin a combat zone after patch 7.
After a while it gets back to FPSs.

(However horizons content in odyssey got a bit better)

I wonder what fraction of a fps I get then for my GT 1030?

I have a pc that I use for plex and things like that connected to my telly. It has 8gb ram, 1st gen Ryzen 5 and a gt1030.

I'm curious to see what Elite is like on it.

Horizons = lovely on low / medium, Odyssey is horrible generally with good / bad / yoyo fps rates. Bases are the worst.

More than enough to runs Horizons, still relatively close on paper to the recommended specs for Odyssey.

In all the fairness, while a GT 1030 is ok-is for horizons, being around (sort-of) minimum gpu requirements - that is a GTX470, this is not the same for the listed minimum gpu requirements for EDO - that is GTX780.
The GTX780 is about 3 times faster than gt1030 which also fails to meet the minimum vram requirements (3gb vram required vs the usual 2gb the vast majority of gt1030 have)

To keep the fairness all the way out, my previous GTX1660ti laptop, which was above all EDO recommended specs, still struggled to properly run EDO content (that is settlements)

In all the fairness, while a GT 1030 is ok-is for horizons, being around (sort-of) minimum gpu requirements - that is a GTX470, this is not the same for the listed minimum gpu requirements for EDO - that is GTX780.
The GTX780 is about 3 times faster than gt1030 which also fails to meet the minimum vram requirements (3gb vram required vs the usual 2gb the vast majority of gt1030 have)

To keep the fairness all the way out, my previous GTX1660ti laptop, which was above all EDO recommended specs, still struggled to properly run EDO content (that is settlements)
Oh yes, I know its below the minimum. I'm just curious if / how FD will square 'it will run on your current hardware' with the janky builds we have.

The more comments I see made about the 3090 just makes me happier that I didn't buy one 🤷‍♂️
No game is worth a 3090 alone. Games like the original Half Life got popular because they ran on everything (software, Open GL, Glide, DX). If FD keeps the realistic min specs high for EDO they'l limit the people who buy the game- unlike with Horizons (and also inside a massive chip shortage).

I have to say that where I am now, around Ter Tanri, while doing Restore Missions, on a couple of occasion's when leaving the Ship in my SRV the FPS's tanked down to 1-10 FPS for around 10 seconds or so, then shot back up to 40-50 & continued as normal.
It was like the program was waiting for something to occur. The first time a Dropship emerged & deposited Commando's. Second time nothing, it just recovered back to normal.

Daft thing is, the other times I'v landed at the same Settlement, there was no FPS drop 🤷‍♂️

Playing on my i7 RTX 2060 laptop.

The more comments I see made about the 3090 just makes me happier that I didn't buy one 🤷‍♂️

I'm really happy with my new laptop - ryzen 9 5900hx, rtx3080/16, 32gb ram.
EDO run quite nice (for my needs at least) - except when i get those deep fps drops in certain settlements.

What i'm saying is that setup is powerful enough to brute force the lack of optimization in EDO, but still cannot overcome the rendering bugs (?) that are the source of those deep fps drops in settlements.

Oh yes, I know its below the minimum. I'm just curious if / how FD will square 'it will run on your current hardware' with the janky builds we have.

i assume the answer will be a: :rolleyes:🤷‍♂️

😂

No game is worth a 3090 alone. Games like the original Half Life got popular because they ran on everything (software, Open GL, Glide, DX). If FD keeps the realistic min specs high for EDO they'l limit the people who but the game- unlike with Horizons (and also inside a massive chip shortage).
I considered the 3080ti when the series came out, but as my 2080S was less than a year old at the time, decided that later was better. then the price scalping happened so the idea is shelved for a whlle. I'd like a little more 'wellie' for VR later this year (the Rift S is being retired) but am happy to wait a little longer.

i assume the answer will be a: :rolleyes:🤷‍♂️

😂
Its an interesting situation, because if low spec dies, so does the console versions- its why my money is on a very frank internal FD discussion around Xmas regards EDO performance. If they can't make it by then, they never really will and FD have priced in a console withdrawal in the stock reports.

Last edited:
I considered the 3080ti when the series came out, but as my 2080S was less than a year old at the time, decided that later was better. then the price scalping happened so the idea is shelved for a whlle. I'd like a little more 'wellie' for VR later this year (the Rift S is being retired) but am happy to wait a little longer.
Back in the day (for Crysis) I got a Q6850 Quad Core / 4GB RAM 2X GTX 8800 Ultra machine which was beyond bleeding edge, and it taught me games that rely on that level of hardware will never be mainstream, or worth it- at least for me. For ED to be profitable moving forwards IMO they made a giant mistake filtering out (i.e. changing the base engine) a lot of current players.

Now I just buy ex workstations and play indie games :D

What i'm saying is that setup is powerful enough to brute force the lack of optimization in EDO, but still cannot overcome the rendering bugs (?) that are the source of those deep fps drops in settlement
My 2080S romps through Odyssey too, although I have to drop from 4k to 2k for ground CZs with fire. Update 7 / Hotfix 7.01 brought stuttering and FPS drops on landing (and to a lesser extent taking back off) on some bodies - but not always...

There are a couple of extraction settlements that would cycle through 60 FPS to 5 or 6 FPS on a 20 seconds (approx) cycle, but as I'm not close enough to the system I know to test - I can't say if that remains the same.

I wouldn't bet on anything with Odyssey... The issues seem to be far too random.
Indeed, that is 100% correct. Even on the same body performance is unpredictable between landings 🤷‍♂️

But it is fun to 'compare notes' between the alleged best and lesser GPUs with this expansion, and 'the best' gets mentioned negatively much more often than lesser GPUs.

Top Bottom