General / Off-Topic 1 small step for man..............

Very cool.

Everybody is going crazy. When you type "A" into youtube search bar the very first suggestion is "Apollo 11 launch" :LOL:

Whilst I am not suggesting a new cold war...... it certainly did massively increase the rate of progress of space exploration.

The challenger disaster didnt help much either in terms of public support........ however what with much more reusable hardware and memories of past accidents fading hopefully over the next 50 years there will be more progress made again.

Whilst I am not suggesting a new cold war...... it certainly did massively increase the rate of progress of space exploration.

The challenger disaster didnt help much either in terms of public support........ however what with much more reusable hardware and memories of past accidents fading hopefully over the next 50 years there will be more progress made again.

It looks like the commitment to return to the moon and beyond is actually starting to revamp, there are players now other than NASA and SSSR and a new race seems to be starting.
Add to that the private concerns popping up, we might soon see a new golden age of manned space exploration.

There was a dose of unconsciousness in these people at the time

When we know that the lunar module had only one engine to leave the moon and that if the engine did not start, these men were condemned to death

And all of this was envisioned and accepted as a potential risk

There was a dose of unconsciousness in these people at the time

When we know that the lunar module had only one engine to leave the moon and that if the engine did not start, these men were condemned to death

And all of this was envisioned and accepted as a potential risk
Very true. And it wasn't exactly a small risk.
No backup plan and NASA predicted roughly 60% chance of complete success, president had two versions of the speech prepared on his table - one for success and one for a failure.

It's a little known fact that instead of three stages, it could have been accomplished with two, but they had to add the third stage to lift those 6 balls of steel.

It looks like the commitment to return to the moon and beyond is actually starting to revamp, there are players now other than NASA and SSSR and a new race seems to be starting.
Add to that the private concerns popping up, we might soon see a new golden age of manned space exploration.
I hope so.....

Just let me get this straight, Neil...to paraphrase:

"One small step for man, one giant leap for man"

...well, which is it?

One line & you ****ed it up! :ROFLMAO:

Just let me get this straight, Neil...to paraphrase:

"One small step for man, one giant leap for man"

...well, which is it?

One line & you ****ed it up! :ROFLMAO:

It was supposed to be "One small step for A man, one giant leap for mankind". Neil messed it up and said "One small step for man". But he wrote it, so it was his line to mess up I guess. ;)

On the "not returning" thing - Nixon had a speech prepared for the event they had to leave Buzz and Neil on the Moon and return without them. It's very good.

I don't remember being particularly excited...but then, I was about 1 at the time so was probably far more interested in more important things... like sleep, my teeth and whatever... My parents did get me up to watch it live though so I definitely have an "I was there" badge...
I remember very well this time.

I was amazed by the starry sky in the French TV series: "Bonne nuit les petits", that I watched before going to bed. :D

Top Bottom