2.3 Beta Release News (27th Feb)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
ED Lewis - Can we have a daily update by way of a sticky post (preferably with negative replies switched off) please?

- - - Updated - - -

When did Ed get senior - was it when he grew the beard lol

Ok this is not just salty any more, it's getting vicious and the mods should close the thread.

Seriously it's a beta, and it's delayed. Sure, it's a pain, but have we all nothing better to do collectively than moan?
Someone said it's a paid for and we'd not be happy if it were a TV. Well, let's face it, those of us who paid for beta releases, including me, paid knowingly for a buggy, incomplete and untested product, not for early access to the game. If beta is late cos they can't get it ready, c'est la vie. If they'd said release was today and they missed it, we would have reason, but they didn't. They didn't even promise beta today, only that they'd try.

So joke for sure, have some fun. Even moan amongst yourselves, but remember with the vitriol I see here, you're all pressuring the devs to push it out early. Myself, I'd rather not have my pc trashed by a showstopper that an extra few hours could have prevented.

Can I just ask this as I am not (and never have been) a developer (and not been to developer school so don't know) - Is there a developers code that you all sign up to, that says when it goes wrong (and for some that will be a lot) we all counter gank the venting public with standard phraseology that can start with "You have no idea how hard developing is.." or "I've been a developer for [insert impressive number] years..." sort of a "All for one and one for all sort of mentality?"

No, not that I know of, it's just that people who have been developers know what FD is going through. And they put themselves in FD's shoes. People complain that it's not out by a certain date while if they had shoved it out the door, there would have been many, many, MANY more complaints that it wasn't stable. The ones who have been developers and programmers know this and sympathize with FD.

Can I just ask this as I am not (and never have been) a developer (and not been to developer school so don't know) - Is there a developers code that you all sign up to, that says when it goes wrong (and for some that will be a lot) we all counter gank the venting public with standard phraseology that can start with "You have no idea how hard developing is.." or "I've been a developer for [insert impressive number] years..." sort of a "All for one and one for all sort of mentality?"

No, there isn't.

Failure can happen at a few stages and if it's a serious problem, they're called 'showstopper' defects. These would not usually be identified at the dev level, but in the stages after.

Normally, when a dev builds software, they're working on a module of components/units. The devs will unit test before moving to the next phase QA (or alpha testing in Elite Dangerous), when the QA's are happy with the results, it will proceed to UAT - User Acceptance Testing (or Beta testing in Elite Dangerous).

I've been a QA Engineer for over 5 years, have post nominal letters after my name and I'm ISTQB qualified

No, not that I know of, it's just that people who have been developers know what FD is going through. And they put themselves in FD's shoes. People complain that it's not out by a certain date while if they had shoved it out the door, there would have been many, many, MANY more complaints that it wasn't stable. The ones who have been developers and programmers know this and sympathize with FD.

Agreed, including people that work in software development and tech focused companies, like myself

Last edited:

I think as the devs said in the stream, this particular update pulls on many more different areas of the game compared to the previous one and as such when something isn't working as intended there's probably more places to look to try and solve the issue. The code base at this point must be pretty damned big and as Howard said, what might look like being a network issue isn't necessarily so. I dont think Devs would want excuses made for any mistakes, but just some understanding that a small coding error here and there can have much larger consequences.

Disclaimer: not a dev :)

Last edited:
The level of lack of understanding that this is a paid for product is just as astonishing.

It is rather annoying this continuous throwing around of the word 'entitlement' when we're dealing with a business transaction.

I'm not sure if you people realise this, but these game developers and companies don't develop and give us these games out of the kindness of their hearts.

Proportion is something that not only do the people you criticise lack, but you yourself. As per usual sense lies in the middle. It IS a extreme the way people negatively react, as if somehow FD are doing this out of incompetence, or casual disinterest in the community-- but it's also extreme to suggest people should be thankful and just be quiet when things like delays happen; or just dismissing it as 'it's just a game'. Well, when your friend has a problem with his TV do you just dismiss him 'it's just a TV', as if this is some kind of great revelation to silence discussion.

Attack what people are criticising, rather than attacking criticism itself.

I guess you've never paid to have software developed for you before, huh? ;)

You bought the game. The game is perfectly playable on the live servers. If you paid extra for beta then it's worth remembering that it is just that - beta. There will be problems. This delay is just one of them. You accepted that as part of the "business transaction", and all rights and waivers etc thereof.

Go do something else with your life while you wait for the grown-ups to fix things.

Last edited:

Can't you mete out some of your formidable 'smack talk' to FD? That should teach them a lesson!!...in the same way it taught those players who kept blowing you up...again & again & again! [haha]

Does that also mean that we're not required to attend the Vogon poetry reading with (or without) our peril sensitive sunglasses?

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to the 2.3 update with much anticipation. All the best to you! :)

Are you suggesting there'll be vogons in 2.3?

Last edited:
I guess you've never paid to have software developed for you before, huh? ;)

You bought the game. The game is perfectly playable on the live servers. If you paid extra for beta then it's worth remembering that it is just that - beta. There will be problems. This delay is just one of them. You accepted that as part of the "business transaction", and all rights and waivers etc thereof.

Go do something else with your life while you wait for the grown-ups to fix things.

Those who can barely accept a mission would probably dispute your definition of "perfectly playable on the live servers"

You have a point about the delay, but just like people going mad over the delay, people pretending everything is awesome when things clearly aren't are also probably best leaving off while the grown up fix things....

Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes! Patch Notes!

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom