News 2.4 - The Return Beta Information

Is anything known about the non-thargoid changes yet?

Exactly what I came in to ask. I'm very pleasantly surprised the beta's so soon and I fully intend to jump in head first, but surely there's non-thargoid related changes you can tease?

Ok I for one, have a question: I understand they don't want to spoil the Thargoid content and therefore it will be kept out of the beta. In that case why not talk about the other features that will come out in the beta in 12 days anyways ? I mean, I am the only one who thinks this is a little weird ?

This being said good job Frontier!

Need a fix for the skimmer rain.
Excited about aliens, though

Dodging the new dive skimmers... it's one of the best bits of gameplay in ED.

In case you haven't seen in Newsletter #186 which was sent out today, or if you don't subscribe to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter (you should!) we've announced details for the Beta for 2.4 The Return!

Here's what was posted in the Newsletter:

Why are you giving the beta away, is the pay to participate model not working?

In case you haven't seen in Newsletter #186 which was sent out today, or if you don't subscribe to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter (you should!) we've announced details for the Beta for 2.4 The Return!

Here's what was posted in the Newsletter:

I understand that Thargoid content etc. won't be part of the beta, but what does the term "content" mean in this specific context?

Story events, new discoveries, of course. GalNet news, related CGs, of course. But what about the "new weapons to fight the Thargoids", for example? Will they be in the beta? Will we be able to test them for bugs, balance etc? Will we be able to check out the means to acquire them, and how they interact with the current gear system (buy gear with credits -> go to engineer and play the enchantment lottery)?

And to be absolutely frank, I mean this not just in a "we should test this so it does not get released with major bugs, showstoppers, or crass balance issues", but I totally also mean that I want to know what kind of grind and how much thereof will have to be done to just get back to the status quo after 2.4 goes live, how much of our current gear (if any) gets obsolete and thus whether it is worth even doing anything any more until 2.4 (which is why I am already sitting on some materials for some planned upgrades but have not used them and stopped playing a few weeks ago, no point wasting all those materials on modding some lasers if in 2.4 I may need to get and then mod a new set of lasers anyway...). And, ultimately also, how much preparation we can do beforehand to deal with the grind-back-to-status-quo as efficiently as possible (i.e. fulfill preconditions for unlocking new engineers, collect materials needed for new blueprints). Like, for example, if there is a new engineer required to unlock for Thargoid-related gear (new items and/or upgrades) and that engineer requires a certain reputation with a specific faction to unlock, I and many others sure as heck would want to grind that faction reputation before 2.4 goes live, just as we did before 2.1.

If most content is the Thargoids arriving... then we can only test like 20% of the whole update?

You will be able to test all the bugfixes, plus any new mechanics, plus 20% of the new content. What else do you want? Getting a Corellian YT-1300f light freighter on the game will never happen :p

I understand that Thargoid content etc. won't be part of the beta, but what does the term "content" mean in this specific context?

First thing I'd guess would be Hull Repair Limpets, followed by new anti-thargoid weapons - to see how much Nerf they need before going live.
I'd imagine some new Engineers to mod them, new materials to search high and low for, and of course, how to best use them against our fellow commanders in trade ships as they approach CG's.

You will be able to test all the bugfixes, plus any new mechanics, plus 20% of the new content. What else do you want? Getting a Corellian YT-1300f light freighter on the game will never happen :p

Who wants that piece of junk? Give me a Kuat Firespray-31 any day of the week.

Story events, new discoveries, of course. GalNet news, related CGs, of course. But what about the "new weapons to fight the Thargoids", for example? Will they be in the beta? Will we be able to test them for bugs, balance etc? Will we be able to check out the means to acquire them, and how they interact with the current gear system (buy gear with credits -> go to engineer and play the enchantment lottery)?

And to be absolutely frank, I mean this not just in a "we should test this so it does not get released with major bugs, showstoppers, or crass balance issues", but I totally also mean that I want to know what kind of grind and how much thereof will have to be done to just get back to the status quo after 2.4 goes live, how much of our current gear (if any) gets obsolete and thus whether it is worth even doing anything any more until 2.4 (which is why I am already sitting on some materials for some planned upgrades but have not used them and stopped playing a few weeks ago, no point wasting all those materials on modding some lasers if in 2.4 I may need to get and then mod a new set of lasers anyway...). And, ultimately also, how much preparation we can do beforehand to deal with the grind-back-to-status-quo as efficiently as possible (i.e. fulfill preconditions for unlocking new engineers, collect materials needed for new blueprints). Like, for example, if there is a new engineer required to unlock for Thargoid-related gear (new items and/or upgrades) and that engineer requires a certain reputation with a specific faction to unlock, I and many others sure as heck would want to grind that faction reputation before 2.4 goes live, just as we did before 2.1.

I would.say at a guess, Hull repair limits, multi part mission updates, salvage updates and anything else they haven't told us about.

First thing I'd guess would be Hull Repair Limpets, followed by new anti-thargoid weapons - to see how much Nerf they need before going live.
I'd imagine some new Engineers to mod them, new materials to search high and low for, and of course, how to best use them against our fellow commanders in trade ships as they approach CG's.
woo..woo...NAVY CAREERS

Adding Thargoid-repellant weapons in the Beta without any Thargoids to test them on seems...a waste?

I hope for more lightweight mods, and meteor splashdowns right next to your ship, but that's just wishful thinking. My only sincere wish is that the screw-up fairies tone down their visits to ED.

Oh please yes. It takes way longer than it should to land at a specific spot on a planet, and it's too easy to either overshoot when doing the final glide, or drop from glide too close to enter orbital flight again but far enough that you have to spend a solid minute boosting to the final location. If you want to make a game out of it so it's not too automated, give us a glide path in the HUD that we have to follow, like the dropship in Aliens ("in the pipe, five by five").

Last edited:
Top Bottom