2 Days without an accident

Ok so think the phone in gtao in first person. I pull my phone out and am focusing on it but can still move around in whatever direction using the sticks while navigating the phone with d-pad.

Doing it with headlook seems like a bad idea tbh. I use it in ship to look around actually have my menus disabled through it as it would get in the way of what I might be looking at as doing it without headlock just works significantly better for me, using a controller or hotas. I still think I just might not understand entirely, really

I'm not having that issue but while I'm sure that helps my outlook I've got NPC's running for cover, trying to outflank me, all that.
I'm just walking around stations trying not to melt my GPU, the same GPU that happily plays Horizons.

I could also go on at how conceptually basic FPS 'Sphere of Combat' is too.

Deleted member 182079

D
Not everyone uses TrackIR though and - isn't it less to do with the wheels - because your headlook matches your direction of travel on foot, I'm not sure how that could possibly work without - at mimimum - a seperated headlook are you asking for?
Of course, but it's already implemented in the game, and 100% optional - as a matter of fact I disable TrackIR usually when on foot because the implementation, while it works, isn't that great especially when trying to hip aim (including the arc cutter), but I can look anywhere while moving the "primary" head direction via my game pad as per normal.

For non-headtracker users (or indeed if I have it disabled) I'd just use the usual button combo (hold X and dpad directions) to bring up the relevant panels. I think it would work well on foot also, certainly better than what we have now - even though the 'orange' wheel menu is OK (not the biggest fan of them but they have their place for pad users like me).
Straying a bit off topic possibly. Finer and finer details - CQC booths, dodgy drug dealers in the corners, superpower propaganda scrawls - are of course HIGHLY desirable. More the merrier and Mega City One!
Yes. Just not sure if FDev see it this way also - one might argue they may have dropped it due to time pressure and will add it later, I would argue we have the finished product and they see little reason to spend time improving things further because it's "good enough".

Deleted member 182079

D
From my perspective its broken. Fps is really, really bad, glitches and problems all over and I'm not alone (just look at the forum, feedback etc).

Hell, looking though a window halves my fps- is that bad.
Only halves it? I can go from 60fps (locked) right down to 19 (current record so far, planetary base looking from Inter Astra office towards bar area). That's a 2/3 drop. It is indeed the glass (and/or reflections no idea) as there's several panels in view.

Deleted member 182079

D
Ok so think the phone in gtao in first person. I pull my phone out and am focusing on it but can still move around in whatever direction using the sticks while navigating the phone with d-pad.

Doing it with headlook seems like a bad idea tbh. I use it in ship to look around actually have my menus disabled through it as it would get in the way of what I might be looking at as doing it without headlock just works significantly better for me, using a controller or hotas. I still think I just might not understand entirely, really
I think you misunderstand. I'm not using the in-game headlook function (I even got rid of the button assignment to make space for lateral thruster control for FAOFF flying).

I'm using my actual head to look around the cockpit via TrackIR, you can enable/disable menus in each side to appear if your head angle is within a certain range, and use the pad to navigate their menus while holding your head in position. It sounds uncomfortable but it's really handy - I developed muscle memory so if I don't use TrackIR my brain gets confused as I still move my head but nothing happens :)

Only halves it? I can go from 60fps (locked) right down to 19 (current record so far, planetary base looking from Inter Astra office towards bar area). That's a 2/3 drop. It is indeed the glass (and/or reflections no idea) as there's several panels in view.
I am on the lowest settings for my GT 1030 (yes, I know) but from what others say the story is the same.

Deleted member 182079

D
I don't know about that .. getting nuked from orbit - continually - wouldn't be all that much fun as far as gameplay goes imo. ESPECIALLY while wanted! ;p
It can be a ton of fun if it's balanced properly.

I still have very, very fond memories of Battlefield Bad Company 2 on the PS3 - infantery, boats, bikes, tanks, choppers, it was absolute chaos and the best multiplayer fun I ever had.

I don't know about that .. getting nuked from orbit - continually - wouldn't be all that much fun as far as gameplay goes imo. ESPECIALLY while wanted! ;p
Well a quick example:

We have an infinite amount of topography, why not leverage it?

Take Farseers spinning light, put a radar on it and get it to sweep the landscape at specific heights so you have to fly under it to remain undetected? Or, if the base is on flat land you have to knock out that radar / guns etc? This is the sort of thing FD needed to do- specific organic objectives that forced players to get creative.

But no- we have glowy 'hold this area'.

I mashed the Y key repeatedly before finally resorting to a grunting noise.

Maybe I dreamed it, but didn't they say the concourses would look different depending on faction and BGS state? I remember reading something about banners and stuff like that...
You did not dream it. They said it, and not just as some off the cuff remark. I believe it was even written down and posted in these forums at one point. I think perhaps if we could find that original description of how surface sites ("""""Social Hubs""""") were going to work, that most of the statements they made would fall into the "not technically a lie" category; I'm sure there is some kind of BGS connected variance, but man oh man they did not deliver on the premise of how this was supposed to work.

It just boggles my mind. In the past Sandro would often refer to other parts of the game and be able to hold a conversation on it- he'd know stuff.

Today? No chance.
Yeah I often wasn't a huge fan of Sandro's overall vision for the game but at least he was a real person making choices with reasons behind them. Weird and frustrating that he vanished without so much as a goodbye right when the Forums were flipping their keyboards over some of his proposed design changes which I actually liked.

Speaking of - I highly recommend trying out the Remote Release Flechette Launcher when airstriking CZs. Not nearly as effective as missiles, but they do work, the mechanics of trying to use them on ground targets is pretty fun, and the explosions are spectacular.

You did not dream it. They said it, and not just as some off the cuff remark. I believe it was even written down and posted in these forums at one point. I think perhaps if we could find that original description of how surface sites ("""""Social Hubs""""") were going to work, that most of the statements they made would fall into the "not technically a lie" category; I'm sure there is some kind of BGS connected variance, but man oh man they did not deliver on the premise of how this was supposed to work.

Yes. Unfortunately some trash on the ground doesn't really quite cut it. And it definitely doesn't help much when that the trash is on the ground, in zero G environments, either. Best reason of all for a rethink possibly.

I just hope EDO will still be successful enough for things like this - and the OP - to be improved on. Much may depend on whether they can sort out the problems with performance fast enough for it to stay a success and I sure hope they can.

I'm still a believer though.

It was in one of the online magazine interviews. I reread it recently, as I I was wondering about it too and it mentions states affecting settlements, so I'm not sure if they just meant that settlements can be found in different states depending on the BGS, i.e. Powered, abandoned, etc.

Then in the sweeping paragraph a mention was made about a few varieties of station interiors can be found, I think the whole thing got caught up in the hype and misrepresented.

I don't know though. I will try to find it again later. I might be entirely wrong.

Disappointing none the less.

Top Bottom