Got that CV1 finally.

Oh my god, just got the an engineering sample home. There's this weirdness of having the thing I'll be ordering for myself in <sorry, can't say> time already in my living room but hey, I'll at least get some play time with it before I need to give it back.

Only, I'm not so sure if I wanna spend time now with ED or just do demos of other stuff ;)

There are a LOT of ppl here that wanna know EXACTLY how CV1 looks on ED, even with uber supersampling.
Things like black smear, SDE on the orbital lines, chroma abberation in belts, planet haze etc ... All the little specific things ppl that have spent many hours with a DK2 in ED are asking themselves ... ppl like me :)

I believe I'll have the device long enough with me to test all that and tell you guys. And I'm fairly certain answering those type of questions won't be breaking any NDA

That is assuming I get it working.
I admittedly haven't played VR ED in some months. I haven't tried the workaraound for 0.8 SDK with DK2.
Here's hoping the setup is similar for CV1 and things just work.
Still running windows 7 and drivers I can update.

Is LiquidVR in the new Crimson suite running in ED. If so, maybe I get get xfire working ?

just wrote this post very fast so i can get back to setting this baby up, ask me if anything.

Last edited:
Firstly. Wow. Best of luck getting it up and running.

I would love to know the answer to the Liquid VR question, being an R9 user myself. So it gives proper VR support for xfire? Interesting to hear the answers to this.

Now they have min specs on the board for VR, you'd hope some integration work had been done in the game engine. Come on Devs ... Would love a comment.

Afaik liquidVR is in the new drivers from AMD. FD would have to do a fair amount of work to start using it properly.

It makes sense they haven't done it as no commercial HMDs are out there yet. It's a matter of priority and I respect FD for that methodical approach to everything they do.

Lastly, just to say it out there - I've not used VIVE ever, so I cannot make any comparisons with it.

Can't wait to hear back how you get on. I will probably be ordering on weds but only if ED will work

Elite Dangerous 1.5: Ships is a major free automatic update for all Elite Dangerous players on PC, Mac and Xbox One. The number of playable ships in the game increases to 30, headlining an update featuring over 300 changes including new missions and scenarios, Spanish-language localization, an in-game store, full compatibility with Elite Dangerous: Horizons and SteamVR support.

The HTC Vive virtual reality headset will be available to consumers in 2016, and Elite Dangerous will support Vive on PC from launch via today’s free update. SteamVR support in Elite Dangerous marks the latest step in Frontier Developments’ ongoing commitment to immersive, high resolution virtual reality experiences.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Can't wait to hear back how you get on. I will probably be ordering on weds but only if ED will work

Elite Dangerous 1.5: Ships is a major free automatic update for all Elite Dangerous players on PC, Mac and Xbox One. The number of playable ships in the game increases to 30, headlining an update featuring over 300 changes including new missions and scenarios, Spanish-language localization, an in-game store, full compatibility with Elite Dangerous: Horizons and SteamVR support.

The HTC Vive virtual reality headset will be available to consumers in 2016, and Elite Dangerous will support Vive on PC from launch via today’s free update. SteamVR support in Elite Dangerous marks the latest step in Frontier Developments’ ongoing commitment to immersive, high resolution virtual reality experiences.

Oh my god, just got the an engineering sample home. There's this weirdness of having the thing I'll be ordering for myself in <sorry, can't say> time already in my living room but hey, I'll at least get some play time with it before I need to give it back.

Only, I'm not so sure if I wanna spend time now with ED or just do demos of other stuff ;)

There are a LOT of ppl here that wanna know EXACTLY how CV1 looks on ED, even with uber supersampling.
Things like black smear, SDE on the orbital lines, chroma abberation in belts, planet haze etc ... All the little specific things ppl that have spent many hours with a DK2 in ED are asking themselves ... ppl like me :)

I believe I'll have the device long enough with me to test all that and tell you guys. And I'm fairly certain answering those type of questions won't be breaking any NDA

I admittedly haven't played VR ED in some months. I haven't tried the workaraound for 0.8 SDK with DK2.

Is LiquidVR in the new Crimson suite running in ED. If so, maybe I get get xfire working ?

just wrote this post very fast so i can get back to setting this baby up, ask me if anything.

Dude!! Hero!! :D Please get back on here at the first possible opportunity Cmdr! :D

@ orfeboy

Not sure what your point is. I am asking about CV1 not vive. I know dk2 works using steam vr but it seems to not work for everyone and not sure I meant to put £400+ on without confirmation it will work with cv1 right away

Last official thing I heard was direct mode and proper rift support was proving difficult.

Palmer lucky I think it was has stated that whilst steam vr my work on the rift it will not support all the features of it and will be a sub standard experience

Last edited:
ATM updating to crimson, isntalling runtimes and syncing to public Horizons build.

I expect to hit a wall of problems soon so I'm going after this with some progression in mind .. will update you asap.

General impression of the device in the Desk Demo Scene - much better than DK2. SDE is largely obliterated which, knowing the display specs, is indistinguishable from wizardry for me ... :)

ATM updating to crimson, isntalling runtimes and syncing to public Horizons build.

I expect to hit a wall of problems soon so I'm going after this with some progression in mind .. will update you asap.

General impression of the device in the Desk Demo Scene - much better than DK2. SDE is largely obliterated which, knowing the display specs, is indistinguishable from wizardry for me ... :)

Less talky talky, more instally instally!

If you also have DCS 2.0, and if you have time, can you tell me whether the cockpit instruments are readable with CV1?

Please pretty please.

Anxiously awaiting your feedback on this!

I'm sorry, I don't have DCS. I see there's a lot of DCS stuff in steam when i search for it. Which one should I have ?

I'm sorry, I don't have DCS. I see there's a lot of DCS stuff in steam when i search for it. Which one should I have ?

No worries. DCS 2.0 is needed for proper Rift support, but it only works with a paid-for map at this point (it's in Alpha ATM). It also a big download if you don't already have it.

I would also try Euro truck sim if you have it. The devs on that have been doing a stirling job with the latest dk2 runtimes, really well optimized.

I'll try a lot of things but firstly before anything else is ED :) There's just no other ...

I'm at the point where I have everything setup. After several attempts I got poitional and rotational tracking to work in ED. Now if I could only get something to display on the rift it would be great ...

I think I'm close.. I hope so anyway ..

Top Bottom