3.3 Exploration Tools - still need a little spit & polish

It has been noted before that how long the POI scan takes is tied to the frame rate. So if your machine is capable of running the FSS on 300 FPS, it'll be done faster than if you're on 60 FPS, or even lower.

That said, yes, the FSS and all could use plenty more polish and QoL features as well. OP made a good list, but it could be done even better - and this isn't touching on VR yet.

This is a great piece of advice. Just tried it, and yes it works!

However, there are a few downsides to this workaround. It also affects the mouse speed on the FSS screen, and 150fps in normal gameplay makes my graphics card fans sound like someone's hoovering a shagpile rug.

Last edited:
Interesting. The main PC (where I play most) is connected to a tv, so stuck with 60fps but has a decent GPU and is i7 3.5Ghz. The laptop is hanging on by its fingernails, a Lenovo T460s with i5 and processor graphics - it will crash if you try landing at an engineer's, but is OK for honking around the galaxy. It gets used when the tv is occupied. I was amazed it worked at all -well done fdev !

Looking forward to completing the man cave and setting up a permanent elite station with decent monitors etc. :)

Is the frame count realy the only timer they have :(

From what I gather, it's not a timer, its that positioning of geological sites is dictated by the planet surface generation system, which is a graphics process, and when the framerate is throttled, it also throttles that process. Or something 🤷‍♂️

At least that's what I'm hearing from people who know more about this stuff than me.

Last edited:
It has been noted before that how long the POI scan takes is tied to the frame rate. So if your machine is capable of running the FSS on 300 FPS, it'll be done faster than if you're on 60 FPS, or even lower.
That only appears to be true for the Geological POIs though; BIO and (non)Human POIs appear instantly.
So either they should refactor the Geo POI code to match the others, or hide the delay by moving it to the DSS.

Lestat

Banned
Interesting. The main PC (where I play most) is connected to a tv, so stuck with 60fps but has a decent GPU and is i7 3.5Ghz. The laptop is hanging on by its fingernails, a Lenovo T460s with i5 and processor graphics - it will crash if you try landing at an engineer's, but is OK for honking around the galaxy. It gets used when the tv is occupied. I was amazed it worked at all -well done fdev !

Looking forward to completing the man cave and setting up a permanent elite station with decent monitors etc. :)

Your laptop has an intergraded GPU. So it shares the Motherboard ram with your CPU. So if it has 8 GB of ram it splits it between your CPU and GPU. The other lag is the ram speed. On a system with a Dedicated GPU, the ram is faster than your Motherboard ram. Because it built onto your GPU Card and it uses a different type of ram.

You can take my system which has i7 8750 6 core 16 GB of ram, and Geforce 1070 8 GB. The Graphics card going to use its own ram.

Your laptop has an intergraded GPU. So it shares the Motherboard ram with your CPU. So if it has 8 GB of ram it splits it between your CPU and GPU. The other lag is the ram speed. On a system with a Dedicated GPU, the ram is faster than your Motherboard ram. Because it built onto your GPU Card and it uses a different type of ram.

You can take my system which has i7 8750 6 core 16 GB of ram, and Geforce 1070 8 GB. The Graphics card going to use its own ram.

Not all share ram with the system Lestat, my new laptop has a 2070 GPU with 8gb dedicated ram, it's a beast, I would need to see the specs of the laptop to see what is causing slowdown.

Lestat

Banned
Not all share ram with the system Lestat, my new laptop has a 2070 GPU with 8gb dedicated ram, it's a beast, I would need to see the specs of the laptop to see what is causing slowdown.
In this case I do know what I am talking about Veronica. His laptop right here Lenovo's ThinkPad T460 or a variant of this type. He running an Intel HD Graphics 520 with Max Memory 32 GB. So he might be able to boost his GPU Performance. If upgrades his Ram.

See Both our laptop has a Dedicated GPU because they are Gaming Laptops. He has a Business laptop.

In this case I do know what I am talking about Veronica. His laptop right here Lenovo's ThinkPad T460 or a variant of this type. He running an Intel HD Graphics 520 with Max Memory 32 GB. So he might be able to boost his GPU Performance. If upgrades his Ram.

See Both our laptop has a Dedicated GPU because they are Gaming Laptops. He has a Business laptop.

Fair enough, I didn't check his specs. Some of the AMD integrated chipsets have reasonable graphics performance and can play less demanding games with some success but I've never seen an intel integrated chipset that's been much better than terribly bad at just about anything apart from 2D work.

Also, Adaptive Zoom Failed doesn't need to appear with every slight mis-click, and it doesn't have to be a huge popup covering the signal source info panel on the discovery screen. The little error beep is plenty feedback IMO.

And no "Rumoured" entries have appeared in the codex since the exploration update launched. Be nice to see that feature get some use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom