$360M in base profit for Exobiology Elite seems excessive considering time/cost/ROI

This is abit of a long post but please hear me out. If nothing else please consider the suggestions I make at the end of this post.

While I understand that rank progression is a challenging grind that is supposed to mean something when one hits elite rank in any profession, but I felt that exobiology was excessive, to the point where I questioned if the person who put in the xp thresholds did it arbitrarily without play testing it for reasonability.

Before I continue I want to emphatically state that no one is forced to grind ANYTHING, it is a personal choice you make and you can choose to just 'play the game' and ranks will come naturally, some cmdrs get their first elite after 5 years and that is perfectly fine. The point of this post is to highlight that I feel the rank thresholds set for exobiology is excessive comparatively and should be reconsidered, or allow for 1st discovery bonus to count more significantly towards rank... but more of that in the conclusion. With that said, let us move along.

I figured that explorer was considered an acceptable challenging grind that exobiology should be the on-foot equivalent of, it being one of the higher time investment professions. Both explorer and exobiologist uses BASE PROFIT (that is, no 1st discovery bonuses count toward rank) while exobiology appears to have a 50% of 1st to log bonus applied to rank. So I set out to see how they stacked up comparatively... needless to say, I was rather dismayed by the results as you shall soon see.

Thus I made it a point to carefully track my exobiology progress using both the in-game codex stats and INARA (you can see your rank progression % on INARA, but only to a whole number) and now I have enough samples and data that my confidence interval is sufficiently high enough for me to assert that the profit threshold for exobiology elite rank is very likely $360,000,000 base profit +50% 1st to log. Then I went and did time ROI testing.

I have been tracking rank/profit progression since Taxonomist so the thresholds that I've personally confirmed are:
Taxonomist: $36,000,000
Ecologist: $70,000,000
Geneticist: $150,000,000
Elite: $360,000,000

I understand that there is quite a fair bit of artificiality in trying to produce a credit-to-time-investment ratio because most times there will be many additional factors that will add to the time spent, but please bear with me since I needed to make an apples to apples comparison the best I could.

Method: Start clock from moment of hyperspace drop into target system. For Explorer, the clock stops the moment the planet scan is complete (meaning you generally can move onto the next planet). For Exobiology the clock stops when I reach the orbital cruise line after take off. We assume the most efficient point to point search for 3 samples on the planet surface (meaning you find the first sample the moment you land and travel the minimum distance between samples for genetic diversity). I chose to use a 6 probe planet at a distance of 444Ls from main star (drop in point) as the reference for this, and this comparison assumes that you ignore all other planets/plants that have lower payouts for time efficiency.

Caveats: I use a fully engineered DBX with 72LY range, ~420m/s speed, a 40% increased coverage tech broker DSS, and sufficient shields/0E boosters/GSRPs to lithobrake (smack the planet to stop when landing). If you need to tip toe your way around in a larger ship or don't have the capacity to survive nearly full speed lithobraking it will increase your time SIGNIFICANTLY. I consider this build to be the most efficient exobiology ship possible (with the exception of a Viper III with 820m/s, but it has bad jump range for practical purposes). Practically, each exobio sample run should take 1.5x or 2x as long, but if we consider too many variables it will make this more complicated than it already is. I also understand that if you use EDSM or Spansh to filter for only high value worlds, you might need to take 2-3 jumps per scan, increasing time per scan. So in all I consider that both will cancel each other out in the long run.

Explorer (using $1M DSS scan payout per planet Terraformable ELW/Waterworld)
Time to complete150s (2min 30s)
Payout$ 1,000,000
Credits earned/sec spent$ 6,666.67

Exobiologist (using Stratum Tectonicas $806,300 per specimen/planet)
Time to complete450s (7min 30s)
Payout$ 806,300
Credits earned/sec spent$ 1,791.78

Then we take the credits earned/sec spent and plug them into the following tables

Explorer
RankTitleRank Profit ThresholdTimes of prev rankProfit req. for tierIn-Game time cost per rank (Hours)Time req. compared to Exobiology
6Pathfinder
10,000,000​
----
7Ranger
35,000,000​
3.50$ 25,000,0001.020%
8Pioneer
116,000,000​
3.31$ 81,000,0003.427%
9Elite
320,000,000​
2.76$ 204,000,0008.526%

Exobiology
RankTitleProfit ThresholdTimes of prev rankProfit req. for tierIn-Game time cost per rank (Hours)Time req. compared to Explorer
6Taxonomist
36,000,000​
----
7Ecologist
70,000,000​
1.94$ 34,000,0005.3506%
8Geneticist
150,000,000​
2.14$ 80,000,00012.4367%
9Elite
360,000,000​
2.40$ 210,000,00032.6383%

As you can clearly see, on the surface, the thresholds may SEEM comparable and reasonable when looked at compared to explorer if you only look at the raw profit numbers, but when one factors in the time investment and ROI, that comparison goes COMPLETELY out the window. It takes 383% MORE time to get from rank 8 to rank 9 (elite) in exobiology than it is compared to explorer. Plus with explorer, you can choose to run exploration xp granting passenger missions if you so choose for variety, for exobiology there is no such alternative.

Furthermore to this, as an explorer, alot of time is spent in SC where you could go do other things or tab out. With exobiology you have the same SC time, but then you have the planetary approach/landing/point-to-point/sampling that are focused activities that require full attention of the player that is 70-80% of the time per sample compared to maybe 10-20% for explorer. It is a much much more involved activity.

I have not even accounted for the time need to reorbit and reenter if you happen to choose a spot where the heatmap says the plant should be but come up empty, and/or you get a planet where the colors make it hard to spot the plants from the air. I also assume that you are using a small ship for point to point, I know may players who choose to use an SRV or hoof it, the permutations that result in much longer sample times is endless for exobiology.

Conclusion and Suggestions

This simple exercise uses the level MOST efficient assumption which is not likely to occur in actual practice, and already the time cost/investment/ROI is so mind bogglingly dismal.

I understand that for the 'elite' rank to mean something, it should not be 'easy' to earn. Normally one would come up with challenging gameplay to gate access to the coveted rank, but that will require changes to the foundation of the game and I understand is not likely achievable, so we are left with managing the degree of time sink gating. And my take is that the thresholds are ill-considered and were made without taking into account how the game is played in actuality.

It would be remiss of me to just make criticism without offering suggestions of how to make the situation better. Here are 2 easy ways to remedy the situation I have revised my suggestions in light of new information regarding xp calc and also taking into consideration that some people believe that the explorer rank system is too easy:

1. Reduce the rank thresholds to bring the time cost investment in line with explorer. An example of which would be :

2. Make 1st to log bonus count towards rank (which will give incentive to actually go out and explore rather than just use EDSM to go filter for high value plants already found and just reduce the rank thresholds by half) - NOTE: This may need revision as new information is coming to light on 1st log bonuses

While I still feel that the current thresholds are set excessively compared to the rest of the game's other professions, I will refrain from suggesting a particular level to adjust it to (personally it matters not to me, I've already more or less completed my exobiology ranking by playing the game how I like, and I like landing on planets, getting first footfalls, flying recklessly near the ground in an overshielded tin can, seeing new vistas and terrain on alien worlds and I couldn't care less about salty opinions, making it stay excessively hard is nice for me in truth). That being said I believe this adjustment will go a long way to making the profession more rewarding and attractive to players all around without getting into 'but the old elite was really elite' argument.
  • Increase the 1st to log bonus to count 100%, or even 200% to both credits and rank progression. It will incentivize actually getting out there into the black, to untrodden worlds, and find unmolested plants, rather than the eventual (and we KNOW its gonna come) Spansh 'garden to riches' plotter trek ala road to riches, which has so trivialized explorer ranks. That elite rank should come with some elite actions, and heading out into the black is what this game should be all about.
If FDEV feels that these this suggestions has merit, please make sure that the changes are retroactively applied to count all bio data profit already turned in so that people (like myself) who have already put in the hard yards to get to the high ranks in exobiology do not feel cheated/gibbed/disregarded/insert-any-other-depressive-adjective-here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Do post comments/suggestions on what you think and please ping the CMs/Fdev if you feel this has merit.

edit : spelling and grammar

[edit2: amended to account for new information on 1st to log bonus]

Last edited:
I figured that explorer was considered an acceptable challenging grind that exobiology should be the on-foot equivalent of, it being one of the higher time investment professions. Both explorer and exobiologist use BASE PROFIT (that is, no 1st discovery bonuses count toward rank). So I set out to see how they stacked up comparatively... needless to say, I was rather dismayed by the results as you shall soon see.

My impression was always that after the FSS/DSS changes explorer Elite was considered a bit "too easy" and the reverse should be done - upping the requirements for explorer rank so they match the effort of the current exobiology ranks.

Also the first discovery bonuses do count or your numbers are off? I had ~445m exobiolgy profit when reaching Elite in exobiology, ~214m of which was from first discoveries. It's of course hard to say if it does count or if the requirements are half of what we think they are with most things being first discoveries.

I think the core problem with exobiology is that there's no efficiency bonuses to it where game play can increase payouts, nothing extra rare/special that you can find that would give you the thrill and payout similar to first-discovering an ELW.

Bonuses could be tied to finding certain combinations of genetic traits so scanning 3 random plants pays less than finding a combination of 3 plants that pays slightly more.

Another idea for bonus would be forcing players to use The Feet or SRV more by reducing payouts for landing on the same planet multiple times - this can be explained by contamination (an actual minor, but interesting concern in current space exploration when trying to find life on other planets).

My impression was always that after the FSS/DSS changes explorer Elite was considered a bit "too easy" and the reverse should be done - upping the requirements for explorer rank so they match the effort of the current exobiology ranks.

Also the first discovery bonuses do count or your numbers are off? I had ~445m exobiolgy profit when reaching Elite in exobiology, ~214m of which was from first discoveries. It's of course hard to say if it does count or if the requirements are half of what we think they are with most things being first discoveries.

I think the core problem with exobiology is that there's no efficiency bonuses to it where game play can increase payouts, nothing extra rare/special that you can find that would give you the thrill and payout similar to first-discovering an ELW.

Bonuses could be tied to finding certain combinations of genetic traits so scanning 3 random plants pays less than finding a combination of 3 plants that pays slightly more.

Another idea for bonus would be forcing players to use The Feet or SRV more by reducing payouts for landing on the same planet multiple times - this can be explained by contamination (an actual minor, but interesting concern in current space exploration when trying to find life on other planets).
I had made suggestions similar to what you mentioned regarding adding more variety of gameplay for features that would encourage more exploration of a planet rather than this current dine and dash system that rewards simply hitting up the highest value plant and moving on to the next planet. But admittedly after thinking about it, it would require far too many fundamental changes to the game system to be viable as a short term solution. And sadly your suggestion, while interesting, would likely introduce more fires to fight (as if the odyssey launch debacle weren't bad enough)

As for difficulty of explorer, I believe they already did one round of 'increasing difficulty' by simply increasing the rank thresholds for explorer. iirc that went down really badly with the community on the whole (in part because it was poorly executed), so I wonder if anyone has the appetite for that again. Nonetheless if the community writ large feel that the 'difficulty' of explorer needs to be tripled, then I won't say anything further. But you have to admit, increasing profit threshold is hardly 'increasing difficulty' rather than just a lazy way of artificially extending 'gameplay time' so I highly doubt anyone believes that's a good idea in and of itself.

And to answer your question on first discovery bonus; no they do not count, I have picked through the thresholds with a fine toothcomb (as in turn in data bits at a time) to ensure that I had nailed down the rank thresholds precisely, and verified it with another person who was similarly ranking. The game only counts BASE PROFIT, which is 'Profits from bio data' subtracting 'profits from 1st bonus' (iirc the exact stat wording), did you perhaps misremember your stat numbers when you hit elite?

And sadly your suggestion, while interesting, would likely introduce more fires to fight (as if the odyssey launch debacle weren't bad enough)
Yeah, I expect this is something that will get an overhaul years down the line like how the FSS/DSS was added.

And to answer your question on first discovery bonus; no they do not count, I have picked through the thresholds with a fine toothcomb (as in turn in data bits at a time) to ensure that I had nailed down the rank thresholds precisely, and verified it with another person who was similarly ranking. The game only counts BASE PROFIT, which is 'Profits from bio data' subtracting 'profits from 1st bonus' (iirc the exact stat wording), did you perhaps misremember your stat numbers when you hit elite?
I took a screenshot of the codex when I reached elite (and confirmed that those numbers were accurate by parsing my journal files). From those it's either ~445m with first discovery or ~230m without to go from zero to Elite or something else we're not accounting for counts for significant amounts of rank progress.

Yeah, I expect this is something that will get an overhaul years down the line like how the FSS/DSS was added.

I took a screenshot of the codex when I reached elite (and confirmed that those numbers were accurate by parsing my journal files). From those it's either ~445m with first discovery or ~230m without to go from zero to Elite or something else we're not accounting for counts for significant amounts of rank progress.
This is very interesting! Can you provide more data? The perhaps a table of log entries that relate to your exobio turn ins? I'm not sure if EDDiscovery has the ability to parse that data.

Perhaps in conjuction with other stats such as genus, unique plants, etc.?

The main issue I'm finding is that the thresholds that I've recorded is based on base turn ins and its consistent with another person, so unless we BOTH have identical stats it's hard to believe that what we've compiled is wrong.

The only other explanation is that the additional factors are small enough that they get lost in the sheer size of the number (e.g. it is impossible to distinguish a bonus of 100,000 counting when your measured pool is 100,000,000 and the only guide you have to actual %s is a whole number on INARA. But in your case it seems like almost HALF of your bonus is counted!

Edit: I just had an eureka moment! When I tried adjusting the tables and spreadsheet to "Account for 50% of 1st log bonus counting towards rank", I found that my existing figures intersect with your figures at around $335M, then I applied it to the other person's data and it did the same. Thanks to your input, we may have discovered a possible actual calc for exobio xp. I have put a note in the OP to reflect this.

I will need to go refine the formula later, its probably not a good idea to do that while making planetary approaches, while on multiple chats, and doing work at the same time in different windows :p

Edit2: Something doesn't add up, after I made some fine tuning it all goes sideways. The issue is when you adjust the previous tier's threshold, the % progress in the current tier doesn't sync up with the INARA % and that is an ironclad figure

Last edited:
Given that you have to Eyeball Mk1 invisible plants to payouts indeed don't seem to reflect the effort. 😁

This is very interesting! Can you provide more data? The perhaps a table of log entries that relate to your exobio turn ins? I'm not sure if EDDiscovery has the ability to parse that data.

This is what I was able to pull from my journals. Hopefully there were no bugs in the code I used to add things up. I heavily assumed the rank numbers would turn out to be copy-pasted from the old exploration values so I didn't bother doing anything that would help figuring out the actual rank breakpoints, I just wanted the cool red space hat.

Directionless, 26, 195600, 195600, 391200
Directionless, 74, 559500, 559500, 1119000
Mostly Directionless, 10, 955100, 955100, 1910200
Mostly Directionless, 45, 1611800, 1611800, 3223600
Compiler, 43, 4263000, 4263000, 8526000
Collector, 8, 7207400, 7207400, 14414800
Collector, 14, 7732300, 7732300, 15464600
Collector, 22, 8870600, 8069800, 16940400
Collector, 46, 11166800, 10366000, 21532800
Collector, 83, 14563700, 13762900, 28326600
Cataloguer, 5, 17291900, 15906600, 33198500
Cataloguer, 19, 19878000, 18153600, 38031600
Cataloguer, 49, 25601300, 22670100, 48271400
Cataloguer, 69, 29495600, 25572700, 55068300
Cataloguer, 78, 31132400, 26964200, 58096600
Taxonomist, 20, 40981200, 36813000, 77794200
Taxonomist, 21, 41094800, 36926600, 78021400
Taxonomist, 60, 52884300, 48637600, 101521900
Taxonomist, 87, 60944200, 56697500, 117641700
Ecologist, 19, 73743000, 69496300, 143239300
Ecologist, 36, 81832900, 75982100, 157815000
Ecologist, 97, 109561600, 103710800, 213272400
Geneticist, 1, 112580300, 106729500, 219309800
Geneticist, 5, 117189000, 110999100, 228188100
Geneticist, 7, 119317300, 113018500, 232335800
Geneticist, 9, 121135900, 114837100, 235973000
Geneticist, 10, 123367800, 115839400, 239207200
Geneticist, 22, 137833200, 128904900, 266738100
Geneticist, 54, 173587600, 164659300, 338246900
Geneticist, 68, 191904200, 176848300, 368752500
Geneticist, 98, 226901600, 210882300, 437783900
Elite, 2, 231595900, 213964000, 445559900

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to create this analysis. That was a very interesting read and I wholeheartedly agree with your conclusions and suggestions!

This is what I was able to pull from my journals. Hopefully there were no bugs in the code I used to add things up. I heavily assumed the rank numbers would turn out to be copy-pasted from the old exploration values so I didn't bother doing anything that would help figuring out the actual rank breakpoints, I just wanted the cool red space hat.

Directionless, 26, 195600
Directionless, 74, 559500
Mostly Directionless, 10, 955100
Mostly Directionless, 45, 1611800
Compiler, 43, 4263000
Collector, 8, 7207400
Collector, 14, 7732300
Collector, 22, 8870600
Collector, 46, 11166800
Collector, 83, 14563700
Cataloguer, 5, 17291900
Cataloguer, 19, 19878000
Cataloguer, 49, 25601300
Cataloguer, 69, 29495600
Cataloguer, 78, 31132400
Taxonomist, 20, 40981200
Taxonomist, 21, 41094800
Taxonomist, 60, 52884300
Taxonomist, 87, 60944200
Ecologist, 19, 73743000
Ecologist, 36, 81832900
Ecologist, 97, 109561600
Geneticist, 1, 112580300
Geneticist, 5, 117189000
Geneticist, 7, 119317300
Geneticist, 9, 121135900
Geneticist, 10, 123367800
Geneticist, 22, 137833200
Geneticist, 54, 173587600
Geneticist, 68, 191904200
Geneticist, 98, 226901600
Elite, 2, 231595900
There is no reason your journals would be inaccurate, thanks for these, it will go a long way to figuring out the exact calc for rank xp. As I thought, it is certain now that there is another factor at play for rank xp, and the simplest would be that 1st log bonus counts for 50%.

One more thing that will be extremely helpful, if you could extract the total value of the sale corresponding sale (that is the sold value plus the bonus). Unless you are telling me that EVERY bio data you sold was a first log, then that makes things easy :)

In any case, if it is indeed the case that 50% of 1st log counts, then I can very easily prove the last bit. I have been meticulously limiting myself to sampling ONLY stratum tectonicas, and with NO 1st log bonus. IF the 50% theory holds up, I only need 100 samples to reach elite, IF NOT, then I need 187. I can reach a conclusion in 3-4 days.

(unfortunately the early days of my exobio career I did not think to do this and ended up gathering 68M worth of 1st logs, contaminating my xp pool sample otherwise I wouldn't be in this uncertain situation right now :(

And yes, I too want the cool red space hat

Last edited:
Exploration rank is now far to easy , trip to beagle and back in 2017 , a 44 lyr dolphin 3.5 months 400 million in Data finished off my elite . Asp X 65 lyr out since march , 2 billion + in Data . Even when I got my Exploration elite I thought that's it ?? Too easy . It needs to be made harder either up the requirements or cut the payout . Or even better still make it first discovered so you don't do the roads to riches or use pax .

One more thing that will be extremely helpful, if you could extract the total value of the sale corresponding sale (that is the sold value plus the bonus). Unless you are telling me that EVERY bio data you sold was a first log, then that makes things easy :)
Edited the previous post with the bonus data, I somehow thought that wasn't logged in the journals, but it actually is.

Deleted member 38366

D
If anything, it means that we won't be seeing an ELITE V Ranked Exobiologist in a very long time ;)

That's not a bad thing, IMHO it merely highlights that the classic ELITE Exploration Rank progresses too fast in comparison.

(I moved from 0% ELITE to ELITE III Exploration in a mere 1.5 months.... that used to be very different in the past, going from 0% to ELITE was quite a feat)

If anything, it means that we won't be seeing an ELITE V Ranked Exobiologist in a very long time ;)

That's not a bad thing, IMHO it merely highlights that the classic ELITE Exploration Rank progresses too fast in comparison.

(I moved from 0% ELITE to ELITE III Exploration in a mere 1.5 months.... that used to be very different in the past, going from 0% to ELITE was quite a feat)
It took me a year to get exploration and then another to get trade ( no mining) and then Combat later on .

Last edited:

I wonder if that's a matter of comparing hardcore players to more casual players, but I've considered it and the point is taken. Once I've finished confirming the xp mechanics I might temper the recommendations a bit.

Case in point is disembowled ego here, I thought I was being hardcore, him, he got elite in exobio last week, about 1 month after odyssey's launch-not-launch. There is no degree of time sink grind that can deter the determined elite grinder ;)

thus the game should be designed around the average of your playerbase, and if that average is to time gate them a year, then it should be so

Top Bottom