Oculus Dash / Home 2.0 - Experiences & Tips Thread

Well its confirmed - Elite Dangerous does not currently have an "official" full Oculus Dash implementation by FDEV. However that is not to say it is totally useless, far from it. Post your tips, experiences and anything inbetween here.

Things I noticed:

- Downloading and launching Elite Dangerous from Oculus Home enables 'Seemless mode' Dash support. If you do not download Elite from Home you will see the 'Void' environment and will not be able to see your cockpit while pinning apps or using the virtual keyboard..

- You can use the Windows On-Screen keyboard by pressing the keyboard icon on any window in Dash, this allows you to enter system names into the Galmap search bar from the void environment (YAY - At last!).

- Netflix open in Firefox seems to cause headtracking stutter and general performance issues (Using a 1080Ti even with SS settings dropped to 1.0).

- You can pull windows out of the main virtual desktop from within Dashs 'Void' environment by pressing and holding the palm (grip?) button when the window is highlighted and pulling the app toward you.

- In Oculus Home you can set up virtual cartridges for each of your VR games, to play them you have to put them in a virtual games console and then place the VR HMD on your head (Very cool!)

- VLC Player seems to play video files without much of a performance hit, if any at all. I've been watching some classic Battlestar Galactica while cruising around the galaxy and all is fine and dandy. I also test some 1080 .MKV videos and noticed no performance hit.

- You can *Customize* your cockpit WWII style by opening JPEG files in a boarderless viewer and pin them to parts of your cockpit.

- Pinned windows screw up if you launch an app which requires admin rights confirmation.

- Pinned window layouts are lost when you restart the Oculus Home app.

- For anyone finding that re-focusing on the Elite window after interacting with Windows apps via Dash to be painful or keep forgetting to do so, may find the below app very helpful:

http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=237

- You can use the Oculus Remote to interact with Dash - Functionality maybe some what limited.

Last edited:
Couple of questions ...

- so you're saying we can access a virtual keyboard (by pointing and clicking with Touch controllers?) within Elite and use it to enter system names (or indeed to type in the chat window)?

- can we pin static windows (e.g. a forum page or handy infographic image) and then see it floating within Elite?

The new Dash is absolutely brilliant - you can switch between ED and the desktop on a button click. Finally, EDEngineer, EDDiscovery and all the other overlays are back! Didn't check the other goodies yet, but would never want to go back already. Didn't try the touch controllers yet, the remote control is all I need. On the desktop, it works like the left mouse button.

It's available from the beta channel, just a button switch inside the Oculus Home settings. For me it came disguised as Oculus 1.21 update, consisting of 13 individual updates. And I had to upgrade to the latest NVidia drivers. Restart, bingo, 2.0.

O7,
[noob]

Last edited:
Damn had to update my Nvidia drivers, after the trouble i had with 388.13 and 388.31, i went for the latest 388.43. That can't be as bad as the other 2 surely..............

Download and install open the New Oculus....BSOD 3 times with an Nvidia drive causing the BSOD Grrrrrrrrr

What is it with me and Nvidia Drivers!!

Gonna have to try 388.31 again.

Well, now I know what I'm doing tonight after work!

** Menacing, maniacal laughter ** Muahaha!

How is the clarity of text? I got a rift at the weekend, and the clarity of text is noticeably less than that of my pimax BE - 1280x1440 vs 1080x1200 on the rift

At the moment, I’m still using the Pi for elite and virtual desktop, but for other stuff having the motion controls and positioning is pretty neat.

Couple of questions ...

- so you're saying we can access a virtual keyboard (by pointing and clicking with Touch controllers?) within Elite and use it to enter system names (or indeed to type in the chat window)?

You have to:
Open Galmap and have a cursor in the system search box > press the home button on your Touch controller > Click on the On-Screen Keyboard app keys to enter the system name > Press Home on the Touch controller to return to Elite.

Once 'Seemless Mode' has been implemented by FDEV you will not be taken out of Elite to type. Works a treat as it is but will be much better soon.

- can we pin static windows (e.g. a forum page or handy infographic image) and then see it floating within Elite?

Yes, you can do exactly that - any app on your PC can be opened and then pinned so it is visible from within Elite. Until 'Seemless Mode' has been implemented you can only view the pinned app from within Elite, not interact with it.

How is the clarity of text? I got a rift at the weekend, and the clarity of text is noticeably less than that of my pimax BE - 1280x1440 vs 1080x1200 on the rift

At the moment, I’m still using the Pi for elite and virtual desktop, but for other stuff having the motion controls and positioning is pretty neat.

Sounds like you answered your own question?

Hi all. For those of us very new to all this... could you please explain why you're all getting so excited? :)

Elite in particular requires quite a bit of consultation of outside apps to really play the game. For instance, I use eddb.io from my web browser to check the nearest station that has a 5A fuel scoop. Until now there hasn't been a robust solution for having a web browser window inside of your VR space, so you had to take off your headset and reference your monitor. This new feature allows you to pin any window from your desktop into your VR space. I mentioned a web browser, but the possibilities are endless: discord, audio players, 3rd party Elite tools, etc.

Having said that, I'm seeing reports on Reddit that Chrome doesn't initialize properly in Dash. Hopefully that'll get fixed soon, but in the meantime it sounds like Firefox works just fine.

Oh gawd. I'm stuck away from my computer and im missing all this. apart from the twitch stream. any YouTube stuff?

Some nice touches here and there.

BUT..

THE INCESSANT background music, whenever dash is open or in home you have the elevator music constantly in the background, only volume sliders I have found so far is for the full system itself need to be removed ASAP.

Pinning looks like it works excellently.

Then I try to move my ship or control in any way, turns out it Elite doesn't have focus and if you focus elite you loose the pinned frames.

I managed to pin Firefox in my cockpit and was able to control my ship but I couldn't find any way of bringing the window forward. No idea how I managed it but it looked really good.
Also, I found if I started Elite from Oculus Home Library, it would fail with an authentication error. If I run it from within Dash (desktop view) it starts and runs fine but won't let me pin any windows into the cockpit or bring up a keyboard.

All this will be moot once FD extracts the digit and updates Elite to be 100% compatible I'm sure. Personally I cannot wait because this is going to be yet another game changer

Are you guys saying that it forces you to upgrade to the latest drivers?

I had fairly old drivers running my game as i suffered badly with stuttering, but when updated the new home complained i needed latest drivers. 388.31 will do, but the latest drivers are 388.43. I experienced loads of BSOD after upgrading to 388.43, but it seems to have settled down now (Touching wood).

Due to these BSOD i have not had a chance to play, so can someone put up how to's on the virt keyboard, and pinning screens with in ED?

Kind thanks

Top Bottom