News 3rd Dev Guide

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Does this ship look familiar to anyone?
In the video David says it's a Viper MkII :

ViperMkII.jpg

And we've seen this ship before .. "Ship-88" :

Ship88.png

Therefore I propse, and maybe someone at Frontier would confirm this,
Ship-88 is a Viper Mk II

Yep, I said it was a viper.

Definitely the best update yet: a real sense of how much Frontier have done on the game already. Excellent work DB: this game has to get made!:D

And love the way space looks black and empty: not the eye candy certain space sims seem to feel the need to use

Definitely the best update yet: a real sense of how much Frontier have done on the game already. Excellent work DB: this game has to get made!:D

And love the way space looks black and empty: not the eye candy certain space sims seem to feel the need to use

Cough...X....cough...

I am very happy to see the video. Combat looks nice and HARD too.... oooo baby... lots of hours to be lost (again)... <rubs hands together with glee>

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Cough...X....cough...

:D

*chuckle*

I have to agree DrBaggy, space is looking pretty good. I enjoyed the video although I was feeling a little queezy by then end of it :D

I was exactly the same. it was a bit Woah!!! head spinning time and no alcohol in sight.

But, it looks stunning to say the least. I hope that you can change between control methods i.e Elite/Frontier as you could in FE& FFE, as I always struggled a bit with Elite contol system.

Sir.Tj

Volunteer Moderator
Just grabbed a couple of Pics showing the Viper MK2s and Anacodas

74869544.jpg

69667370.jpg

12645055.jpg

30262114.jpg

10598294.jpg

Looking good

This update is the best yet, all we need now is some planetary landing footage to really stoke the flames :D

I am concerned about the Kickstarter campaign though, this game just has to be made and I am a little bit worried. :rolleyes:

I doubt that the effect of yesterdays video on the pledges/backers has gone completely unnoticed, one suspects they're working on more right now....

Hope so anyway :)

Sir.Tj

Volunteer Moderator
I doubt that the effect of yesterdays video on the pledges/backers has gone completely unnoticed, one suspects they're working on more right now....

Hope so anyway :)

They'd be MAD not too :D

Planetary landing next please......and maybe a couple more ships??????

They'd be MAD not too :D

Planetary landing next please......and maybe a couple more ships??????

They've clearly got enough going to do a complete remake of Frontier's opening sequence, complete with seamless planetary landing. Do it! And include the music (that track has got to be in Elite D, you know that don't you? ;) )

As it stands, we're at £718,651 - we've sped through the teens of £700,000 probably thanks to the video, but the hard facts are even if we were to get a smidgen over £100,000 a week from now on we'd only just make the total. We need one heck of a surge, similar to the opening few days.

Last edited:
Great video, a perfect mid week update (short and sweet).

We’ve still got 3 weeks to go so there’s plenty of time for at least 5/6 more updates.

I wonder what else we’re going to see? 2 dead certs are the 3rd part of the interview, and planetary landings, but what else?

This is getting very interesting!

They've clearly got enough going to do a complete remake of Frontier's opening sequence, complete with seamless planetary landing. Do it! And include the music (that track has got to be in Elite D, you know that don't you? )

I’m pretty sure a trailer using the game engine has to come, that is quite a cool idea!

I’d like to see an epic trailer in the final week, maybe a space station under attack and having to launch wave after wave of vipers, but the pirates are gaining the upper hand. But then…. out of witch space the Thargoids arrive and decimate everything!

But, it looks stunning to say the least. I hope that you can change between control methods i.e Elite/Frontier as you could in FE& FFE, as I always struggled a bit with Elite contol system.

All the ships shown in the video were using the original Elite roll/pitch control methods. I also struggled with this in the original Elite although I can understand why it was done back then as otherwise combat would have been too simple. Lining up your roll to match another ship's trajectory was a big part of the game.

If there is the option to use a yaw/pitch control method in Elite Dangerous then I cannot really see why any player would use roll/pitch because having the ability to yaw makes lining your sights up with the target so much easier. In a multiplayer environment any player using yaw/pitch is going to be far more effective than players struggling with roll/pitch.

In Oolite I can yaw, yet I still roll.

Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because that's how it was in Elite and I just got used to it.
If that's how it will be in E: D then I am sure I'll get used to it again.

Keeping a ship in your crosshairs with roll is really not that hard once you get used to it.

Plus from an external view, rolling looks cooler and indicates the direction things are about to be heading because that's what we're used to seeing with aeroplanes.

I know that you don't technically need to bank a spaceship operating outside of an atmosphere, but if everything was just changing direction without any indication it could be a tad annoying trying to chase/follow.

I know that you don't technically need to bank a spaceship operating outside of an atmosphere, but if everything was just changing direction without any indication it could be a tad annoying trying to chase/follow.
There would definitely be indication in the form of maneuvering thrusters firing.

Plus from an external view, rolling looks cooler and indicates the direction things are about to be heading because that's what we're used to seeing with aeroplanes.

That's because we're used to the way things change direction within Earth's atmosphere; everything from birds to planes bank to change direction. Besides which, TiE Fighters and X-Wings also bank, so given that's what Elite D's combat is clearly modelled on, it makes sense. :)

I’m pretty sure a trailer using the game engine has to come, that is quite a cool idea!

I’d like to see an epic trailer in the final week, maybe a space station under attack and having to launch wave after wave of vipers, but the pirates are gaining the upper hand. But then…. out of witch space the Thargoids arrive and decimate everything!

Complete with ominous music like the Imperial March from Star Wars but not that exact same track of course. :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom