3rd Penguin

Got to be the little blue. Its inclusion would mark the first native New Zealand species in the game.

However, IMO one more isn't enough. For a perfect penguin roster we'd have the two already in-game, the little blue, and also the southern rockhopper and gentoo. I will always prioritise the little blue, though.
Absolutely agree regarding the Gentoo Penguin because in my Opinion we need at least a second antarctic Penguin. Little blue Penguins would be really awesome for Zoos in New Zealand and Australia (perfect for when I continue my australian Zoo and Zoos from there seem to normally keep as many native Species as possible anyways). Also Rockhopper Penguins look just too unique compared to other Penguins, so they would also be nice to have, even though they are not my highest Priority (it also partially lives in Areas where King Penguins do also live. Falkland Islands for Example. So it would also be a proper Species for a mixed Colony)

I don't want another penguin, I want a lesser auk / razorbill. Preferably I'd have wanted a great auk (pinguinus impennis) but alas they are gone from the world.
So razorbills will do. Penguin-like, but representing the north. For fun, the great auk on the right. If that doesn't look like a penguin I don't know what does.
Razorbill+Alca+torda.jpg
Great_Auk_%28Pinguinis_impennis%29_specimen%2C_Kelvingrove%2C_Glasgow_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1108249.jpg

Last edited:
I’d like little blue since I don’t much care for large cold habitats; wouldn’t be mad if we got an Antarctic species, just wouldn’t use it much (I’ve never yet used the king penguin). Honestly though the African penguin is my favorite and I was pleasantly surprised by its inclusion.

I don't want another penguin, I want a lesser auk / razorbill. Preferably I'd have wanted a great auk (pinguinus impennis) but alas they are gone from the world.
So razorbills will do. Penguin-like, but representing the north. For fun, the great auk on the right. If that doesn't look like a penguin I don't know what does.
Razorbill+Alca+torda.jpg
Great_Auk_%28Pinguinis_impennis%29_specimen%2C_Kelvingrove%2C_Glasgow_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1108249.jpg
Great Auks are awesome. Incredible how similar the Lesser Auk looks. In a perfect World we would get the Lesser Auk+a great Auk Statue including a Egg Replica. Or a Pack similar to the Wild Creatures Expansion for the first Wildlife Park which didn't only add multiple still living Animals but also extinct Species that could be cloned in a relatively realistic Way (for some Reason they could just be bought after the first successful cloning)

The hoiho is one of those NZ species that is excluded from captivity entirely by law.
What's the Reason for that and which other Species are there from New Zealand that aren't allowed to be kept in Zoos besides the Yellow eyed Penguin and the Kakapo?

What's the Reason for that and which other Species are there from New Zealand that aren't allowed to be kept in Zoos besides the Yellow eyed Penguin and the Kakapo?
Their conservation management is better done via the preservation of wild populations. It's also to do with the fact that their numbers have always been too low to successfully experiment with captive breeding (unlike the kiwi, whio (NZ blue duck), or pateke (brown teal) which have been bred successfully in captivity for decades).

I believe the black-billed gull is another species that can't be kept in captivity. It's critically endangered, largely due to urbanisation and habitat destruction which has created a situation where black-billed and red-billed gull populations have been forced together, resulting in hybridisation and a muddying of the gene pool (a similar thing happened with the grey duck, another native species, which was mostly absorbed by the introduced mallard).

Their conservation management is better done via the preservation of wild populations. It's also to do with the fact that their numbers have always been too low to successfully experiment with captive breeding (unlike the kiwi, whio (NZ blue duck), or pateke (brown teal) which have been bred successfully in captivity for decades).

I believe the black-billed gull is another species that can't be kept in captivity. It's critically endangered, largely due to urbanisation and habitat destruction which has created a situation where black-billed and red-billed gull populations have been forced together, resulting in hybridisation and a muddying of the gene pool (a similar thing happened with the grey duck, another native species, which was mostly absorbed by the introduced mallard).
😕 All of those Birds look so nice. Especially the Ducks 🦆
Would be nice if the Situation would get good enough for them that Zoos can also help with their Conservation. Especially for the ones that are threatened by Hybridisation

Got to be the little blue. Its inclusion would mark the first native New Zealand species in the game.

However, IMO one more isn't enough. For a perfect penguin roster we'd have the two already in-game, the little blue, and also the southern rockhopper and gentoo. I will always prioritise the little blue, though.
NZFanatic manages to sum up my feelings as well as theirs. Although I want little blue because of the Aussie aspect of the bird.

Top Bottom