980 or wait for the 980TI?

I'm going to be holding my cards until the CV1 comes out. Maybe get a Titan X or two for that, depends what kinds of cards are on the market. I wouldn't upgrade my 980 yet for sure, not when Nvidia is promising driver improvements and stuff. I think it's a little early to be upgrading in preparation for CV1 and it's a little late to be upgrading to max out DK2 performance.

Hey there... I think next couple of months will be most interesting, and will mostly offer some great deals on used/second hand GPUs (980,970,290X)... :) A great time to build up that SLI array... Even now with single (oc'd) nvidia 970 and DK2 I get completely playable game... I think it has to do with your CPU as well... since I upgraded to 6core intel and OC it to 4,4GHz I feel that my gtx970 is giving out noticable more juice... So play a bit with CPUs while we wait for next gen gfxs to be unveiled...

Well here are the unconfirmed specs/clock speeds for the 980 Ti

980ti.jpg

I don't recommend picking one up in the UK. They are roughly 20% dearer.
I'm off to the US in 2 weeks time, and have ordered an Asus 980GTX through Amazon.com, being delivered to our corporate HQ.
The Asus card here in the UK is £460, and from Amazon US is £360.

Sorry, I don't have any info on the Ti models.
If you pick one in the states and have hassles with the card, it will be a nightmare to get it replaced

Yep it boosts higher than the Titan X while having one less SMX, so my original thought was correct. That allows it to almost match performance but at the cost of higher power draw (higher clocks cost more power than extra shaders).

If you've waited this long to buy a graphics card you can wait another week however, and you probably should.

First reviews are up for the 980Ti

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_ti_review,1.html

Looking very good and certainly on par with the Titan X

I'll add this:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/20...-review-all-the-power-of-the-titan-x-for-650/

..and this

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/83377-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti/

Quite a tidy little card. Probably a nice upgrade for my still bombproof 780ti (which is still a great bit of kit). I'll leave it for a while, maybe pick up a non-reference EVGA card.

Last edited:
Just a heads up.. Have ordered the 980TI from overclockers.co.uk - £499 excluding VAT. Wont be another 2 weeks till I can actually plug it in :( Am getting serious VR withdrawal symptoms!

Last edited:
Just a heads up.. Have ordered the 980TI from overclockers.co.uk - £499 excluding VAT. Wont be another 2 weeks till I can actually plug it in :( Am getting serious VR withdrawal symptoms!

Nice one. Which one did you go for? So many to choose from. Also, did they say how long it'd take to get to you as it's all pre order

Ok cool. I phoned about the EVGA Overclocked, which is ETA Overdue (was supposed to be in Wednesday). However, they have all been taken anyway (the first batch of 100 or so units which is overdue) and the next batch won't be for a week/week and a half estimated.

Top Bottom