Dinosaurs A Better Baryonyx

Your Feature Request / Idea
Of all of the new dinosaurs seen from Fallen Kingdom, Baryonyx has been the most divisive amongst fans. While it was great to finally see the British spinosaurid on the big screen after many years of it being relegated as a background prop and even losing out on a starring role in JP/// to Spinosaurus, there was disappointment with its design with the harshest of critics going so far as to say it looked more like a “SyFy Dinocroc” than a Baryonyx. This is understandable when considering during the promotion of the previous film on the park’s website there was a superior design created by the great paleoartist, Julius Csotonyi.

BaryonyxTall.jpg
Up until that point, Baryonyx hadn’t physically appeared in any of the movies; it only appeared here and there in a couple of games and toys. But suddenly, not only had Baryonyx finally appeared in the movies (at least just for the website) but it also had an incredibly accurate portrayal. This wasn’t just comparatively accurate for the Jurassic franchise, this was a 100% accurate portrayal of the spinosaurid with no shrink-wrapping, no pronated hands and even having bright colours; the exact opposite of how the Jurassic franchise has portrayed their dinosaurs. Fallen Kingdom's Baryonyx wasn’t bad, personally I found it okay and it is more in line with how the rest of the Jurassic Franchise's dinosaurs are portrayed. But I, along with many others, wished that the filmmakers could have used more design elements from Cstonyi's website painting on Fallen Kingdom's Baryonyx, to make it more visually impressive and slightly more accurate.

Frontier appeared to have thought the same thing, by making a couple of subtle changes to the film design. JWE's Baryonyx model takes more after its real-life counterpart by having a larger thumb claw and conical teeth. However I feel more drastic changes need to be done in order to make Baryonyx a more desirable dinosaur for players to have in their parks. This can be resolved through two changes:

1. Making the animal less shrink-wrapped.

While this appearance made sense in the context of Fallen Kingdom, with the collapse of Isla Nublar's ecosystem as a result of Mt. Sibo's volcanic activity, it doesn’t make sense in the context of the game. The Baryonyx in JWE are essentially looked after and fed in a zoo-like environment, so it doesn’t make sense that despite being well fed by regularly supplied carnivore or live bait feeders, the poor dinosaur appears to be starving, with its ribs visible!

2. Change the head from its Fallen Kingdom design, to one that is based on Csotonyi's website design.

This change in particular would be the most noticeable and the most dramatic. The proposed new and more accurate skull will be much longer, feature a more pronounced notch in the upper jaw and add the triangular crest on the top of its nasal bones. The width of the new Baryonyx skull will also be much thinner, especially when compared to Spinosaurus; however, at the same time, it will also be comparatively wider than Suchomimus' skull.

Speaking of the African spinosaurids, the new Baryonyx head would also feature smaller and smoother scales, similar to the Suchomimus and Spinosaurus. This change would replace the rather large lumpy and bumpy scales that are currently on Baryonyx.

I, for one, loved the look of the Bary in the game. I understand the want for more realistic dinosaurs, but I don't think JWE is the platform for it. Jurassic Park\World dinosaurs, for better or for worse, have a very distinctive style to them. A style I think the designers of the Baryonyx nailed.

For me, the Baryonyx looks like a starving Bipedal Caiman:
cuviers-dwarf-caiman-ogimage.jpg

I hope Jurassic World III redesigns the Baryonyx and makes it more scientically accurate as the OP said:
baryonyx_walkeri_by_microcosmicecology_d7z8dal-pre.jpg

*sigh* ...as much as I'd love to see a more realistic Baryonyx (and more realistic dinosaurs in general) this just isn't going to happen... they're sticking to the Jurassic Park movie lore, where Baryonyx looks more like a bipedal crocodile than an actual Baryonyx... so your only option for a better Baryonyx is to wait and hope modders figure out how to modify models and make a better Baryonyx.

Absolutly not, the Baryonyx model is accurate to the films and perectly fine as it is.

Even though Frontier have already made a couple of changes to the film's model? Even though certain design elements don’t make sense in the context of the game?

I, for one, loved the look of the Bary in the game. I understand the want for more realistic dinosaurs, but I don't think JWE is the platform for it. Jurassic Park\World dinosaurs, for better or for worse, have a very distinctive style to them. A style I think the designers of the Baryonyx nailed.

Frontier have also used Julius Csotonyi's accurate artwork as the main basis for the dinosaurs that have appeared on the park website (Edmontosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus & Suchomimus), and even adding a skin based on said artwork as a reward for completing Muerta East Challenge Mode (Pachycephalosaurus - Steppe). So why can’t Frontier at least utilise certain elements from the park website's Baryonyx for Fallen Kingdom’s Baryonyx, like in this fantastic picture down below?

baryonyx_by_goldennove_dcwz1bh-fullview.jpg

I think part of the issue is that Baryonyx and Suchomimus were closely related and anatomically very similar, with the main differences between them being that Suchomimus was larger and possessed a short dorsal sail. I imagine the inaccurate Baryonyx was not laziness or incompetence on the part of the art team, but instead a deliberate effort to make the animal visually distinct from its cousin. Another example of this in game is the Deinonychus, which would have actually looked very similar to the JP Velociraptor (obviously discounting the baldness and pronated hands) but instead they used the now inaccurate Ostrom 1960 reconstruction, and even added that dumb looking crest and salamander tailfin for good measure. It seems their primary concern was not accuracy, but A.) Making sure each species is visually distinct enough that the average player can identify it from a distance, and B.) Staying true to the distinct 'JURASSIC PARKR' look.

The big thing to understand that this game is a Jurassic Park/World game before it is a 'dinosaur park simulator' game. Sounds counterintuitve, but I think it makes sense.

Frontier have also used Julius Csotonyi's accurate artwork as the main basis for the dinosaurs that have appeared on the park website (Edmontosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus & Suchomimus), and even adding a skin based on said artwork as a reward for completing Muerta East Challenge Mode (Pachycephalosaurus - Steppe). So why can’t Frontier at least utilise certain elements from the park website's Baryonyx for Fallen Kingdom’s Baryonyx, like in this fantastic picture down below?
Because the Jurassic World website is soft canon at best, were-as the movies are 100% absolute canon, likely giving it priority...

I think part of the issue is that Baryonyx and Suchomimus were closely related and anatomically very similar, with the main differences between them being that Suchomimus was larger and possessed a short dorsal sail. I imagine the inaccurate Baryonyx was not laziness or incompetence on the part of the art team, but instead a deliberate effort to make the animal visually distinct from its cousin. Another example of this in game is the Deinonychus, which would have actually looked very similar to the JP Velociraptor (obviously discounting the baldness and pronated hands) but instead they used the now inaccurate Ostrom 1960 reconstruction, and even added that dumb looking crest and salamander tailfin for good measure. It seems their primary concern was not accuracy, but A.) Making sure each species is visually distinct enough that the average player can identify it from a distance, and B.) Staying true to the distinct 'JURASSIC PARKR' look.

The big thing to understand that this game is a Jurassic Park/World game before it is a 'dinosaur park simulator' game. Sounds counterintuitve, but I think it makes sense.

I understand that, and what I'm proposing for Baryonyx would only result in changing the head and removing its shrink-wrapped appearance. Overall, Baryonyx will still utilise its unique Fallen Kingdom appearance with its silver and blue colouring, and crocodilian scutes running along most of its body (from the base of its neck to the top of its tail). These two changes are effectively honouring its appearance from the park website, while at the same time, maintaining a faithful film appearance that’s strikingly different to the Suchomimus.

I will admit, the picture that I showcased in my last post is more paleontologically accurate than what I'm proposing for Baryonyx. This picture utilises more of its Fallen Kingdom appearance, such as the crocodilian scutes and scales.

dc8viqa-f36839e6-6d95-4175-a129-1252db122d4e.jpg

I have to admit I don't like the Baryonyx from Jurassic world Fallen Kingdom they should have stuck with the original concept design as advertised in the first Jurassic World movie and I feel like this was a bad move by Universal we came to mess with an iconic dinosaur that is almost high in iconic status close to T-Rex. so I do hope they change the Baryonyx is design back to how the first Jurassic World depicted as.

To me the current design of Baryonyx is okay but unfortunately I think they need to return it back to its original concept design which was close to the original animal and features that showed that it was a fish eater rather than a monster.

I would like to see a better Baryonyx too, but for different reasons. I just think it has terrible skins, and I personally think it looks too rugged and rough. This might be because of, like what you said, it has large bumpy scales. However, now that you mention it, the shrink-wrapped aspect now bothers me too.

Top Bottom