A Camera which can stream to a Screen outside of the Enclosure

I thought about if I should finally try to build a Beaver Dam in my Zoo. Then I thought it would be a great Idea if they will someday be in the Game to install a Camera inside of the Dam which streams to a nearby Screen so Guests can watch the Beavers when they are inside. It would also be great for other Animals like a Camera inside of a Wolf-Den or a Camera that shows a Part of the Indoor-Enclosure of some Animals if the Guests can't go inside.

A lot of zoos do this. I believe Auckland Zoo here in NZ did it once when their lions had cubs and weren't ready to come out into the enclosure yet. I think it would be a great inclusion.

Great idea, but my guess is this is too complicated to implement.
Personally I think it's too complicated and a lot of effort for a very limited feature just for visitors.
IRL it's great but in-game not so much.
(not even thinking about an extra always-running process that will surely impact game/fps performance)

Personally I think it's too complicated and a lot of effort for a very limited feature just for visitors.
IRL it's great but in-game not so much.
(not even thinking about an extra always-running process that will surely impact game/fps performance)

I'm not sure it would need to be so complex as that. The only issue I foresee with such a feature is that there is nothing in-game currently comparable (for example, the security cameras already present don't actually lead to anywhere specific), so it's difficult to say what the best way to implement it would be. If they did add it, it could be a new way of increasing the education stat, since it will give guests a look at the "secret life" of animals as it does in real life.

This is probably not too hard to make or might even already be possible in the Cobra Engine (but there will be a but). You basically just put an additional camera object in the game (just like the one, through which the player sees the game, you are basically steering a camera object around) and display whatever it shows as a texture. (Simply said.) So your player camera could look at the picture of secondary cameras, which are displayed on game objects. The Unity Engine, for example, can do that as a basic feature.
However, I think it would absolutely murder the performance of the game. Especially once you have multiple cameras, the amount of objects that have to be rendered could go to crazy levels pretty quickly, especially the way some people build. :) And from what I read, the performance once your zoo reaches a certain size is already pretty bad.
So while generally cool, I don't think this would be feasible to implement. Just not worth it for the effect.

All Planet Coaster players know what the impact of the in game added video screens on their games was. It was a complete meltdown for most users. And those where using short video clips on your hard drive. This suggestion requires a live feed from inside the game.

I don't think it's feasible.

I think screenshots as paintings/signs for your zoo is a nice alternative to personal customize your zoo..
Customizable Education-Signs would be great. I would really like something like these really big Information-Boards that can be seen in some Zoos like this one for example
Barcelona.Zoologico.Exposicion.Gorilas.CopitoDeNieve.jpg

Personalizing signs with screenshots would be really fun! The camera idea is a great one too, but I do agree it would have relatively limited usage...

I'd be interested in seeing the implied beaver habitat, though!

Personalizing signs with screenshots would be really fun! The camera idea is a great one too, but I do agree it would have relatively limited usage...

I'd be interested in seeing the implied beaver habitat, though!
I will post a Picture if I'm able to build one that looks good

Top Bottom