Newcomer / Intro A Christmas Message

It is now, apparently, Christmas.
At least according to my local supermarket that's playing Xmas tunes 24/7

So I thought it appropriate to send out a message of hope and prosperity to all newbies.

Last night I was thinking back to the days when I slogged away in my little Sidewinder, making a few credits here and there. How hard I worked to make my first million. How pleased I was when I eventually got there.

Then, today, I made 20 million in 2 hours in my Anaconda.

So for all you newbies, I'm sure that by this time next year you'll be wondering why you thought it was all so impossible.

So peace, goodwill and prosperity to all - and stay out of Open.

Most of the shops here have started to decorate, too.

I find it to be an improvement, because last year I was staring at Christmas trees mid October and it's kind of annoying...
Christmas. The Great Pretense Time. :LOL:

Bah, humbug. The Christmas tree should go up on Christmas Eve and come down on Boxing Day. Shops should be banned from Christmas music until five working days before the event and mince pies... bleugh... can't stand 'em personally.

We might have steak and kidney pie instead of turkey on the 25th.

Bah, humbug. The Christmas tree should go up on Christmas Eve and come down on Boxing Day. Shops should be banned from Christmas music until five working days before the event and mince pies... bleugh... can't stand 'em personally.

Actually all decorations should not come down until 12th night, shortly after which preparations for Easter should get underway.

"Or else"? :LOL:

Well I remember it being considered bad luck to either remove decorations before 12th night or to keep them up after that - both were said to have a bad influence on the coming year. Mind you, there were (are?) lots of superstitions up there about the coming year's fortunes particularly around Hogmanay.

I don't know if it was considered bad luck to put up decorations before Advent. The trimming of the Xmas tree on xmas eve is a continental thing and didn't have any connotations in Scotland when I was growing up - but the relatives in Tcheuchterland didn't have a tree when I was really young, just greenery - presumably a pagan leftover up there. ☃

(BTW - Why do American's have to call Saint Lucia "St Lucy" - I mean, really, "Lucy" back in the first millenium? sheesh! )

Well I remember it being considered bad luck to either remove decorations before 12th night or to keep them up after that - both were said to have a bad influence on the coming year. Mind you, there were (are?) lots of superstitions up there about the coming year's fortunes particularly around Hogmanay.

I don't know if it was considered bad luck to put up decorations before Advent. The trimming of the Xmas tree on xmas eve is a continental thing and didn't have any connotations in Scotland when I was growing up - but the relatives in Tcheuchterland didn't have a tree when I was really young, just greenery - presumably a pagan leftover up there. ☃

(BTW - Why do American's have to call Saint Lucia "St Lucy" - I mean, really, "Lucy" back in the first millenium? sheesh! )
I'm not putting up any decorations, nor am I putting them down in any arbitrary time period, so I hope I'm covered. :D

Though, now that I think about it, I actually AM somewhat unlucky in general, so maybe it's that.

...And God HELP Bob Cratchit if he wants to be paid for Boxing Day...

...And God HELP Bob Cratchit if he wants to be paid for Boxing Day...
Nah! Unless it falls on the sabbath Boxing Day is a workday and he will be there pulling in his penny a day (less heating and light charges) just as he does the other six days per week.

Top Bottom