A list of visual touch ups for JWE2

Hey everyone,

This is simply a list of visual touch up I think the game could use. They do not affect gameplay but could improve the user experience. If you have any visual touch ups the game could do with, please do share below.

1. Weather effects in JP and DFW Aviaries
Aviary-01.png

With the latest update we now have access to the new aviary buildings that better suits the Jurassic Park and Department of Fish and Wildlife aesthetic in sandbox mode. My only comment is that I think the weather effects should be visible in these aviaries, as these enclosures are not as air-tight as the glass aviaries from the Jurassic World assets. I think being able to see the effects of rain, sand, and snow within these aviaries would help connect the environment the pterosaurs are housed in with the rest of the park. The JW glass aviary should still retain it's airtight characteristic and not have the weather effects be visible within the aviary.

Another note, as this is more behavioral, I think the pterosaurs housed within the JP and DFW aviaries should not fly as much during heavy weather, as the particles in the air could make flying more difficult and would push these avian creatures to roost as much as possible until the weather has cleared up. It was a detail I noticed and loved in JWE1 with the pteranodon, and I would love to see this behavior return here.

2. Give drones and submarines matching aviary and lagoon aesthetics
Drones.png

The current drones and submarines are used in all aviaries and lagoon options, and while it works really well for Jurassic World era themed parks, they look a bit out of place when seen in the Jurassic Park or Department of Fish and Wildlife aviaries and lagoons. I think it will add to the immersion if they have a palate or model update to better match the themed enclosures, or maybe even be tied to the staff controlling them: Like a DFW staff vehicle would deploy a DFW themed drone, but a JP themed staff vehicle would instead deploy a JP themed drone within the same aviary. That way players who would like to mix and match assets in a park could have the aesthetic consistency be tied with the look of their staff.

3. The goat and meat icon (FEEDERS)
meat and goat.png

This icon feels out of place during most of my playtime. I understand what it is, it is the feeders icon from the environment tab, to which it makes sense as the feeders are primarily used for the carnivores and piscivores.

My issue is how it has been used for dinosaur hunger. Like if a T-rex is hungry, it will show this icon which makes sense. But if a herbivore is hungry and is looking for food, then it feels off as goat and steak are not part of a plant based diet.

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20211115100212 copy 2.jpg

So have different icons be used for the "Hungry" and "Looking for food" status.

• Herbivores should have a leaf icon.
• Carnivores should have a meat icon.
• Piscivores should have a fish icon.

That way, the icons could better reflect the animal's diet. Likewise, some animals could have icons that are a mashup of the ones listed above, like if a spinosaurus is looking for food, it could be a fish and meat icon as they could eat from both feeder options. Or if later down the line omnivores are introduced, they could have a meat and plant icon.

One last note, I think the icon for the feeder tabs could be updated from a goat and meat image to a fish and meat image. Mainly as the feeders are for both piscivores and carnivores, and not exclusively carnivores. And I think it is best to remove the goat as other prey items like pigs and cows could be introduced later down the line, and all 3 of them are a source of meat anyway.

4. The Banana Tree does not cast a shadow
Jurassic World Evolution 2_20211210073746_1.jpg

This is just a little weird for me and very specific, but I can't help but notice that the banana trees of JWE2 not casting shadows. I am currently using a PS5 version of the game, so it may be different for other platforms, but it is odd that this tree does not cast a shadow. Other vegetation do casts shadows, even smaller than this tree, so it feels out of place in the tropical environment.

5. Please disable the red alert icons in capture mode
Jurassic World Evolution 2_20211118212027 copy.jpg

The red alert icons are still present in capture mode, and it does get in the way of capturing some great photos in the game. Could we have it be disabled during capture mode?

Also, could entering capture mode automatically pause the game? Sometimes I enter the mode to capture an event that is occuring in game, but when I enter capture mode, the event has passed. It paused back in JWE1, and it was really useful then, and I hope it could pause the game like it did then in JWE2.

6. Introduce a few more fossil artwork
Fossils 2022.png

Back in JWE1, one of my visual hopes was to have fossil diversity to match that of the dinosaurs.

I am very happy to see new fossils have indeed been introduced in JWE2, especially having the small non-pachycephalosaurid herbivore fossils be seperate from the small carnivores! Thank you 🌟

With that said, I do think just a few more fossils could be introduced in JWE2. Those being fossils to diversify the larger carnivores. If we could have some fossils introduced for the the spinosaurids, Abelisaurids, and Carnosaurs, then the diversity of the larger carnivore species could be noticeable from the fossils gathered.

7. Would it be possible to have the doors open?
Jurassic World Evolution 2_20211211094257 copy.jpg

I kept this visual request last as it could be a large undertaking as this edit would require modifications to all buildings with usable doors.

Still, it is immersive breaking to still have guests phase through doors. The only times this wasn't the case was when guests visit the restroom, and when they enter the Jurassic Park hotel, as those buildings use a black void to hide the guests despawning, similar to planet coaster's restroom and hotel modules.

And I could see why it hasn't been used here, as some of these doors are massive, and to have a dark void in a building with large windows and bright interiors would look off. Still, I think there could be a workaround. Like instead of a black void, it could be a small hallway that is hard to see from a birds eye view but help create the illusion that guests do not despawn, but for curious players, they could see the end of the hallway is a stock background similar to the one shown in the bottom (depending on the building), but very blurry. That is where the guests would pass through and despawn, but it would make sense that they are entering the 'interior' of the shop, instead of walking through a door or entering a dark void.

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220113091225.jpg

An alternative is to use the dark void technique, but have the darkness be a light color that compliments the facility, as though they entered the bright interior of the building.

-------------------

So far, these are some of the visual touch ups I would like to see in JWE2, but do let me know if you guys have any ideas to add down below.

Thanks for reading!

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to update this list to include 3 more areas where the game could get some visual touch ups.

8. Could the fence UI image change according to the era's assets?
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 3.14.42 PM.png

So far in JWE2, when using assets from different eras, the images of these assets would change according to the theme. Such as the incubation lab having a Jurassic Park, JW, and DFW image to represent the different model used.

The one asset in the UI that stands out are the fences, as all fences from the different themes uses the concrete option, a fence only available within the Jurassic World set. So to add to the theme, what if each themed set would have an appropriate level 5 fence to match. Like the Jurassic World fences would use the concrete fence, the Jurassic Park fence would have the JP III heavy cable fence, and whatever the DFW level 5 fence would be could represent the DFW fence set.

9. Could dinosaurs have visible snow on their bodies while it is snowing?
Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220124115056.jpg

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220124115115.jpg

One of the coolest features of JWE and JWE2 was to have the rain effect make the dinosaurs wet, as it does connect the dinosaurs with the weather visually. Snow was something I was hoping to see a similar effect be applied, where small amounts of snow would accumulate over the dinosaurs.

It does happen to a degree, usually when a dinosaur is dead, but I think some degree of snow could accumulate over the dinosaur's skin while they are alive. Such as when they are sleeping, resting, or rolling around in the stuff. Usually I could imagine the less active animations and activities could lead to the dinosaur being covered in snow, but one they start moving, then the snow on their bodies would decrease based on how active they become.

This could also be more noticeable on larger specimens like armored herbivores, sauropods, and large theropods, where they have a larger surface area and are not as fast. While smaller more active dinosaurs won't gather as much snow.

10. Could the Paths window be simplified?

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220124153040 copy.jpg

This was something that has been on my mind, especially now that we have multiple size options for certain path types (1 facility, 3 Normal, and 3 Fancy). I was thinking that if we were to have additional paths introduced in JWE2, the setup could lead to a lot of clutter, making path selection confusing.

So why not have paths be selectable by type, but the size of these paths be relegated to hotkeys? Similar to the terrain brushes we have access to.

Paths UI.png

Above is a visual idea of how paths could be organized. Instead of 7 path options for Jurassic World paths, we have 3 options to choose from, and change the scale with dedicated buttons, like the L1 and R1 buttons in this case. That way, the window would take up less screen space, while allowing more options to be accessible, such as the Jurassic Park Paths from RTJP I included in the sample image above.

Scale options would be available based on the style chosen. So some paths are locked to a single size like the facility path, and the scaling option won't be adjustable, whereas paths with additional path sizes that have been unlocked could have their size be adjusted with the scale feature.

---------------------------------

So far, that is all I could think of atm, otherwise the game already covers a great deal of visual detail from what I have seen so far.

Thanks for reading once again! 👋

11. Could guests spawn to sit on the table decorations when placed near busy paths?
Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220207094742.jpg

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220207095231.jpg

Like the tables in the guest buildings, I think it would be nice to have guests sit on the table decorations, especially when placed near paths where they could be used by the guests. How full they are could also be a reflection on how busy the traffic is on the nearby paths.

12. Could hovering the cursor on the ranger post show a glimpse of the post's range?
Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220206213856.jpg

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220206213911.jpg

When assigning ranger teams to the posts, I think it could be useful to have the post highlighted to show its range while the cursor is hovering on it. That way it could better show what the coverage is like, and the player could be able to move the post if they feel like it could be placed somewhere better.

13. One of the plesiosaurs clips through the gate during the exit animation.
Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220207104359.jpg

This one is a minor one, but something I can’t help noticing during the exit animation for the plesiosaur. I think the plesiosaur in question (Second one I believe), leaves a bit too soon. Could her leaving animation be delayed a bit as the door is only slightly in the way?

14. Some dinosaurs would have both segments of the hatchery gate open, despite their small size.
Jurassic World Evolution 2_20220207112232.jpg

Some dinosaurs are smaller than some of the more popular species, and when they leave the incubation lab, the hatchery would only open the lower segment to let them through. With that said, some dinosaurs are small, but the game uses both hatcheries, and while this makes sense for some animals like the gallimimus who are very active and jumpy when leaving the incubation lab, I think the ones listed below should only have the lower segment of the hatchery gate open to keep things consistent. Something to note is how a good sum of the ones listed were also dinosaurs that were resized to be smaller in the new game, so having both doors open for these animals could have made sense in JWE1, but not so much in JWE2.

1. Pachycephalosaurus
2. Kentrosaurus
3. Nasutoceratops*
4. Styracosaurus
5. Stygimoloch
6. Chungkingosaurus
7. Chasmosaurus
8. Amargasaurus
9. Huayangosaurus
10. Wuerhosaurus*
11. Gigantspinosaurus
12. Pachyrhinosaurus
13. Sinoceratops*
14. Crichtonsaurus
15. Nigersaurus (especially if it gets a downscale)
16. Majungasaurus
17. Cryolophosaurus
18. Metriacanthosaurus
19. Megalosaurus

I went over these animations and for the most part, the dinosaurs listed above are small enough to pass through the the lower segment of the hatchery with little issue. The only ones I think could be a squeeze are the ones listed with an asterix: The Nasutoceratops, Wuerhosaurus, and the Sinoceratops. I still kept them listed as they are smaller in height and length than the ankylosaurus, and she was able to pass by just fine with only the bottom segment of the hatchery open. I think it is best to test them out so see if they could pass the bottom hatchery door as their animations may be more active than the ankylosaurus.

Hey everyone!

I hope you all are having a great summer and are keeping cool and hydrated.
As many of you know, Jurassic World Evolution 2 has been updated to include many Jurassic Park-themed buildable assets and decorative items in celebration of the franchise's 30th anniversary of the film release of Jurassic Park.

It brought about many items from the RTJP expansion we had in JWE1 and some excellent decorative pieces new to the games. From my experience, the paths, pylon, fence, and the many decorative items added really helped take me back to the past and elevate the enjoyment of building my version of Jurassic Park. It has been excellent.

With that said, there are a few minor visual oddities I have encountered that I hope to see get addressed. They are few but are very noticeable, which I want to share here for the developers to take note of. I am not confident they are issues per see, but they are design aspects I hope to see get ironed out soon!

1. DINO DROPPINGS AND LOGS ARE NOT CONSIDERED PART OF THE DINOSAUR'S TERRITORY
Dino Dung and Logs.png

This was a surprise when I was placing the logs and dino dung in JWE2. Unlike peaceable trees and rocks, dinosaurs would not consider this as part of the territory and would exclude them from their enclosure. It is odd to see this, as while they are grabbed from the scenery tab, they are natural items such as decorative trees and rocks.

I think it would be more fitting to have them be incorporated into the dinosaur's territory as this would at least diminish any concern about placing in items that would make the enclosure not as open, and would clash with a dinosaur's open space need.

2. GUEST BUILDING CONNECTING PATHS ARE ALWAYS JURASSIC WORLD GRAY
Default Building Path.jpg

One unfortunate detail I hope to see get addressed is how the default path the amenity and guest buildings have would always be gray, regardless of what path they are connected to.

Now that we have 6 visually distinct paths to work with in Jurassic Park-focused game modes, I think these buildings should either adapt to have a path that visually matches the one they are connected to or have the player replace the path these buildings would use. That way the paths would better flow with the buildings aesthetically.

3. THE POWER STATION AND SUB STATION PYLONS DO NOT ADAPT
Pylons not matching.jpg

It has been amazing being able to use the classic pylons again. The non-modern and rustic look really matched the Jurassic Park aesthetic perfectly. It is a shame however that the power stations and sub-stations still utilize Jurassic World's more modern pylons.

I am wondering if it could be possible if the player is able to swap out the pylons for the power and substations by selecting the preferred pylon style and clicking on them. That way, we do not need a completely new model for each power and substation, and could simply click all the power and substations we would like to aesthetically change their pylons.

--------

That is so far all the visual oddities I have encountered with the latest update. Everything otherwise has been a blast and I hope that these changes are realizable and could be considered to be addressed with future updates. 🦖

What are your thoughts on this?

In the Jurassic Park era, would it be better to have Jurassic Park banners to decorate the shop amenities and guest attractions?

Currently, they are not available in the buildings' architecture.

I think there should be more Jurassic Park decor for the amenities. We did get the fire torches which are awesome, but we could do with more, and having the banners made as an option would be great. I also wouldn't mind seeing JP banners for aviaries and lagoons since those are buildable in the Jurassic Park era in Jurassic World Evolution 2.

Here are two more tweaks that could do with a bit of polish.

1. PARASAUROLOPHUS AND VELOCIRAPTOR SKINS ARE NOT IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20230501161529.jpg

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20230501161508.jpg

This has been submitted in the issue tracker below (Now expired):

The cannon skins for both parasaurolophus and velociraptor are not categorized in a chronological order similar to that of the Tyrannosaurus skins. It would be much neater and easier to select skins if they are ordered properly, especially the velociraptor skin options.

2. NEW CLASSIC FENCE DANGER SIGN MISALIGNED

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20230612081625.jpg

This is a weird oddity, it looked as though that sign was placed to be on top of the wire, but not only is it merged in the wire, the danger sign has hooks that indicate that it should be hanging instead. This has been submitted in the Issue tracker as seen in the link below:

3. JURASSIC PARK FENCING LACKS A MESH

The level 2 and 4 fencings we have in the Jurassic Park era actually lack the mesh they had in the Return to Jurassic Park expansion pack.

1686555773404.png

1686555784910.png

This was a smart design choice back in JWE, as that was implemented to have the fence look like it could accommodate the then-new tiny dinosaur compsognathus. It added an additional visual that addresses that detail well.

The ones we have in JWE2 have been modified so that they could work with the small dinosaurs escaping via climbing the fence, but they lacked mesh fencing altogether. It was not that apparent of an issue since we had the Jurassic World low-security fencing which has the mesh, but now that we have a more complete set of Jurassic Park fences to use, it is preferable if the mesh is brought back.

If this is an issue, it has been submitted and shared in the link below:

Jurassic World Evolution 2_20230610174208.jpg

Lastly, I think the classic pylons should be an option for Malta and DFW building sets. While they are intended for the Jurassic Park building set, I do see their rustic and metallic look to work great if incorporated into either the DFW or Malta building sets, especially when built in the more sandy desert or Mediterranean biomes.

Top Bottom