A little better matching on the available missions would make the game better.

I think the current mission variety is wonderful. And like most here I have several ships, each lends itself to certain things better then others. I find way too often that I am piloting the wrong ship at the time, for missions that I would want to do, and are available. And if I take the time to go get the proper ship, those missions disappear replaced with ones unsuitable for the ship I now have. Is it just me, or are there others out there that notice the same pattern? I get bored not taking the missions I think would be fun, if I had my other ship.

Your thoughts? How do some of you deal with this, or not?

I'm thinking the servers could 'seed' the mission board a bit better based on some consideration of the ship, at the time the mission board is accessed. Give more haul missions when I have cargo space. Give me more planetary ground missions when a actually have an SRV aboard. Just a thought.

I think the current mission variety is wonderful. And like most here I have several ships, each lends itself to certain things better then others. I find way too often that I am piloting the wrong ship at the time, for missions that I would want to do, and are available. And if I take the time to go get the proper ship, those missions disappear replaced with ones unsuitable for the ship I now have. Is it just me, or are there others out there that notice the same pattern? I get bored not taking the missions I think would be fun, if I had my other ship.

I'm thinking the servers could 'seed' the mission board a bit better based on some consideration of the ship, at the time the mission board is accessed. Give more haul missions when I have cargo space. Give me more planetary ground missions when a actually have an SRV aboard. Just a thought.

This can be a frustration when you need a super power faction rank up mission and stumble upon it when in an unsuitable ship. Although the stress vien on my temple has only marginally been contributed to by this issue.

It really does depend on the mission...

The only ones that you have to accept then and there are delivery missions (and passenger missions), as the cargo will be put in your ship. Most other missions can be accepted and then done later when you are in your appropriate ship. I do this all the time, as many missions have multi-day timers, and even assassination missions generally will give you plenty of time to swap ships before the window of opportunity closes.

I do think though that a bit more granularity in missions would be fun. For example being able to do delivery or fetch missions a few items at a time, so long as you get the required amount to where it needs to be within the time frame of the mission. I presume it's technically difficult to implement, although since we can drop off commodities to unlock engineers one at a time, it would seem that it shouldn't be impossible.

I can see the basis for your argument but personally I think screening of missions should be down to the commander not the Mission Generator - I'd rather see all the missions being generated rather than what the system 'thinks' I should see.

I tend to look at the timer on the mission and then balance the reward against the time it'll take to, go get /send for, the necessary ship.

What I would most like to change with the mission system as it stands is some additional information provided , I'd like to see the distance from the drop in point to the destination, quoted.

Deleted member 115407

D
The ability to accept missions for which you aren't currently equipped has been asked for. As far as I know, FD toyed with the idea, but decided that they didn't want to put up with the headache of people taking those missions and not being able to complete them.

For example... Joe Spaceship Guy in a Sidey picks up a mission to source and return 85 units of food cartridges. Figures out there's no way for him to do so (because he only has a sidey), and suddenly it's the game's fault for letting him take the mission in the first place.

Why we can't accept such missions and then complete them in installments is beyond me. Same goes for all missions that require cargo space.

I find not being able to take data deliver missions that give commodities as part of the reward because of insufficient cargo space annoying. Most of the time I could care less about the extra reward.

I would be happy if the mission board/passenger mission board didn't reset when I exit the board and switch ships docked at that station. It is so frustrating when there is a 9 million credit sightseeing mission that looks like fun, when in my Anaconda (which isn't geared for it). I quickly switch to my Orca, go back to the board, and that mission is gone. Or I'm in the Orca, and there is a 730k credit Assassination mission (elite rating) - usually as a chain followup. I then switch to my Anaconda, and the mission is still there, but the rating and pay has changed. Argh! Though at least in this case, I can take the mission while in the Orca and then switch. Can't do that the other way around.

I also wish there were A LOT MORE missions listed at once - 20 missions PER faction for every faction. More choices is good. :)

All that said, the mission system is currently much nicer than it used to be. So I'm thankful for that. ;)

One last irritation: does anyone know how to find (reliably) good stations for high paying sight-seeing passenger missions. I've set up shop currently in a Tourist based station, which does give good missions from time to time. Then I had to go to an Agriculture station in a nearby system and there was 19 mil, 12 mil, and 10 mil sight-seeing missions available; I've seen that particular station do that on two separate occasions. So is it better to go to Ag stations instead of Tourism? Or maybe Extraction? High-Tech? *sigh*

In case you did not beta - mission generation is different in 2.4. You should save your comments for next week...

Yeah, there were a LOT more missions available in the recent Beta. However, I thought they said that was just dialed up for the Beta for testing and we wouldn't have that many (though still possibly more than we do now) when it goes live. I could be wrong.

I recall a time when the mission boards looked more like a Craig's list for criminal activity. Everything was "go perform a crime, I'll pay".

It really does depend on the mission...

The only ones that you have to accept then and there are delivery missions (and passenger missions), as the cargo will be put in your ship. Most other missions can be accepted and then done later when you are in your appropriate ship. I do this all the time, as many missions have multi-day timers, and even assassination missions generally will give you plenty of time to swap ships before the window of opportunity closes.

I concede that as a solution. But one of the things that adds to the tedium is the need to constantly go back and get another ship. Maybe I'm planning wrong. I see it as impractical for the immersion factor to have all your ships available everywhere. I also doubt people are using ship move fees for anything other then moving their home base.

I can see the basis for your argument but personally I think screening of missions should be down to the commander not the Mission Generator - I'd rather see all the missions being generated rather than what the system 'thinks' I should see.

I tend to look at the timer on the mission and then balance the reward against the time it'll take to, go get /send for, the necessary ship.

I agree with this completely, but I think the balance is a bit off. Not 'think' completely, just more then now.

I concede that as a solution. But one of the things that adds to the tedium is the need to constantly go back and get another ship. Maybe I'm planning wrong. I see it as impractical for the immersion factor to have all your ships available everywhere. I also doubt people are using ship move fees for anything other then moving their home base.

I have a long legged DBX I call between my bigger more expensive ships to get between them quickly when I need to.

I would be happy if the mission board/passenger mission board didn't reset when I exit the board and switch ships docked at that station. It is so frustrating when there is a 9 million credit sightseeing mission that looks like fun, when in my Anaconda (which isn't geared for it). I quickly switch to my Orca, go back to the board, and that mission is gone. Or I'm in the Orca, and there is a 730k credit Assassination mission (elite rating) - usually as a chain followup. I then switch to my Anaconda, and the mission is still there, but the rating and pay has changed. Argh! Though at least in this case, I can take the mission while in the Orca and then switch. Can't do that the other way around.

I have noticed the game does this even in solo play, which makes no sense, whatsoever.

I generally take missions from my home system, or systems very close by, so swapping ships is generally fairly trivial (for me). You tend to anyway get better missions from factions that you are working with a lot, so it's usual for missions from my home base to be more lucrative than from other systems. But I do see your point. It's a bit of an issue with the game IMO. We have this vast galaxy to play in, but you are not really rewarded for moving around, other than for exploration, it seems a bit daft to hang around just a few systems and do the same stuff over and over.

Personally I use ship transfer (very occasionally) for engineering, but that's it. :)

Last edited:
The ability to accept missions for which you aren't currently equipped has been asked for. As far as I know, FD toyed with the idea, but decided that they didn't want to put up with the headache of people taking those missions and not being able to complete them.

For example... Joe Spaceship Guy in a Sidey picks up a mission to source and return 85 units of food cartridges. Figures out there's no way for him to do so (because he only has a sidey), and suddenly it's the game's fault for letting him take the mission in the first place.

Why we can't accept such missions and then complete them in installments is beyond me. Same goes for all missions that require cargo space.

I don't understand your example, since the mission couldn't be taken in the scenario you describe. I did notice they use your idea for the engineer missions. I had to make 2 trips in my type 6 to deliver 200 landmines. Yes, that could be a good mechanic for regular missions.

Or I'm in the Orca, and there is a 730k credit Assassination mission (elite rating) - usually as a chain followup. I then switch to my Anaconda, and the mission is still there, but the rating and pay has changed. Argh! Though at least in this case, I can take the mission while in the Orca and then switch. Can't do that the other way around.

Chain (follow on) missions will be available for a week from the time they spawn, at any station where the faction offering the mission has a presence. The fact that the rank and reward change every time you refresh the mission board is a bug that's been present since chain missions were introduced...

I generally take missions from my home system, or systems very close by, so swapping ships is generally fairly trivial (for me). You tend to anyway get better missions from factions that you are working with a lot, so it's usual for missions from my home base to be more lucrative than from other systems. But I do see your point. It's a bit of an issue with the game IMO. We have this vast galaxy to play in, but you are not really rewarded for moving around, other than for exploration, it seems a bit daft to hang around just a few systems and do the same stuff over and over.

Personally I use ship transfer (very occasionally) for engineering, but that's it. :)

That's pretty much what I see as well. I grab my type-7 and all the missions at my home base. I grab other suitable missions as I go. At one obscure drop off, a mission that looks fun, but I'm up to my cargo hold in bio waste. There no way to get back before it disappears. Or I'm in my multi-purpose and there's that mission for 200 units of haulage for a gazillion credits, and a hyperspace jump of 2 systems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom