A more logical landing pad numbering system

Lestat

Banned
The issue, with the supposed counter to my orginal post, of the compass, is that it only shows your pad once you enter the slot. If you're moving at speed and its a pad directally below the entrance there is a large chance you can miss this pad. Of course I could use a docking computer, but firstly its slower and secondly I like to fly it mself!
So you're saying you flying too fast and you are complaining because you have to back up. Because you see an o on the compass? Well, slow down. I enter at 100 and still able to get to the closest landing pads with no issue. Or even engineered your ship thrusters so you can slow down faster.

Or just get a fast ship and boost into the station until you hit the end of it. Certainly the pad will be on your back.

Not really understand why we need to change, using them enough you get to know the position. And yes, top can be bottom at times, depending on the green lights being to your left or right as you enter the slot.

I would rather have dev time and resources doing more important stuff

Not really understand why we need to change, using them enough you get to know the position. And yes, top can be bottom at times, depending on the green lights being to your left or right as you enter the slot.

Am I the only one who always puts the green light to the same side? I rotate until it is to the right, regardless of what pad I'm going to or coming from....

Lestat

Banned
Am I the only one who always puts the green light to the same side? I rotate until it is to the right, regardless of what pad I'm going to or coming from....
I never had to. But I can see how that could make it easier for players to locate landing pads.

I only started doing that once I had EDDI and it started announcing it, and even then that's more for colour than navigation. Usually I'm just making sure I don't hit any traffic; finding the pad itself has never been any kind of issue for me in big stations.

I only started doing that once I had EDDI and it started announcing it, and even then that's more for colour than navigation. Usually I'm just making sure I don't hit any traffic; finding the pad itself has never been any kind of issue for me in big stations.
2nd person today to mention EDDI.

So I decided to install it and see what the fuss is about.
(y)

2nd person today to mention EDDI.

So I decided to install it and see what the fuss is about.
(y)
Hope you enjoy it. AFAIC it's an unlicensed extension of my ship's computer. It's also customizable far beyond my permanent skills, though I can temporarily learn and tweak it. Do not ask my present self what I did for my current arrangement, I have no idea.

I would prefer to pay for parking.

Spots deepest in are the most expensive, spots by the gate are free.

I would pay a premium every single time.

Landing pads were lazily designed in the first place. The one who designated them, as mentioned above, was clearly a programmer who simply doesn't get out much. It's a LOGICAL system, but it is not an INTUITIVE one. Once learned, anyone can say it's easy for them. It's the learning part that matters. If not for the "targeted object" dot in your compass, I would hate the entire game. The dot goes hollow to indicate something is behind you; when landing, this informs you that you have just barely passed your landing spot. After awhile, you get a feel for where to stop, but this is honestly the only intuitive tool in the landing pad mechanics.

Although...while we're on the subject of landing pads and logic...

Why do external landing pads have to spin us around before they release us? Why is that STILL a thing? It's completely unnecessary and only ensures that every pilot is going to spin 360 degrees on every landing no matter their approach. We're all doing the loop of shame even when we're not!

Landing pads were lazily designed in the first place. The one who designated them, as mentioned above, was clearly a programmer who simply doesn't get out much. It's a LOGICAL system, but it is not an INTUITIVE one. Once learned, anyone can say it's easy for them. It's the learning part that matters. If not for the "targeted object" dot in your compass, I would hate the entire game. The dot goes hollow to indicate something is behind you; when landing, this informs you that you have just barely passed your landing spot. After awhile, you get a feel for where to stop, but this is honestly the only intuitive tool in the landing pad mechanics.

Although...while we're on the subject of landing pads and logic...

Why do external landing pads have to spin us around before they release us? Why is that STILL a thing? It's completely unnecessary and only ensures that every pilot is going to spin 360 degrees on every landing no matter their approach. We're all doing the loop of shame even when we're not!

EDIT: whoah. double post. What the hell?

I too would like a compass for landing pads. Especially in busy hubs, it can be quite a hassle to turn around in an Anaconda or similar. Would also help for planetary base landings when multiple pads light up at the same time.
It might be an old thread but I'm just coming back after a year or so away so there's that.

Addition: Maybe change the display of the station/base to show pad location inside or around the structure. Any little extra may help.
Wouldn't mind having the pad location show up earlier in landing mode too, but that's just me.

Last edited:
So the current landing pad system isn't exactly the simplest to understand where your pad is quickly. I realise there is a pattern but just from looking at the number its not easy to determine, for example, that pad 39 is on the Green side as you go in on the lower side.

I suggest using a 2 digit location system, i.e. First number denotes row, second number which segment it is clockwise from the lower side (assuming red is on the left and green right).
For example the first pad below you as you enter would be 01

To make it clearer here's a quickly re-purposed diagram (couldn't find the author of orginal image, sorry)
Source: https://i.imgur.com/KYvuT5q.png

Of course I realise its unlikely that FDev will change any station pad numbers, it likely would have other effects. But I just feel the current system could be better or more clear.
Maybe it's just me, but your numbering system seems counter intuitive to me. I would expect a larger landing pad number to be clockwise of a smaller one. Likewise, you've got numbers mixed up with letters in there as well.

Analog clocks exist, and most people, especially adults, know how they work. There are literally twelve segments in the cylinder. Numbering landing pads as 1-12 (12 at the top, 6 at the bottom), and using A to E for depth, makes a lot more sense, thanks to a numbering system that exists in the real world. If I'm told to dock at landing pad 2-B, I'll know exactly where I'm supposed to go.

<cough, cough>
I see I'm not the only one to have this idea. ;)

Last edited:
I would advise another thing also; on planets, it's not very wise to have "landing pads", specially in those that have above 1g gravity. A proper landing runway with movable pads at its end should be advisable, or even that freaky concept of the sloped circular landing runway. Anything is better than a landing pad on a planet where you have to glide to the surface to avoid crashes.
Or maybe even a landing tunnel with gravity nullifiers.

When you realise that the game actually shows you exactly where your landing pad is, right there in the cockpit.

I would advise another thing also; on planets, it's not very wise to have "landing pads", specially in those that have above 1g gravity. A proper landing runway with movable pads at its end .

Like this idea though...

As I said on the previous thread on the issue, why not have the landing pad arrangement be faction-specific? Some factions might use the existing system, some might use OP's suggestion, others might have some kind of letter-number designation system, others might involved Greek letters in their designations, while anarchy factions might decide on a random arrangement that resets once a week.

That way, not only does the galaxy become a bit more personal and lived-in, it also brings all the possible suggestions and arrangements into the game. Having a home base that has a docking pattern you like adds that touch of extra uniqueness to each faction, as some players might decide to support a faction because of their landing pad layouts.

Lestat

Banned
I too would like a compass for landing pads. Especially in busy hubs, it can be quite a hassle to turn around in an Anaconda or similar. Would also help for planetary base landings when multiple pads light up at the same time.
It might be an old thread but I'm just coming back after a year or so away so there's that.

Addition: Maybe change the display of the station/base to show pad location inside or around the structure. Any little extra may help.
Wouldn't mind having the pad location show up earlier in landing mode too, but that's just me.
If you click the station before you request docking you can use the compass to locate your docking pad. When we had the bug in Alpha when we could not see the hologram landing pad. I could still dock just by looking at the compass.

If you click the station before you request docking you can use the compass to locate your docking pad. When we had the bug in Alpha when we could not see the hologram landing pad. I could still dock just by looking at the compass.
Wouldn't mind having the landing info show up a bit earlier to be honest. Can try and line up with the landing pad number on the way down but isn't always an exact way of doing it. Especially when you can't see below you.

Top Bottom