A potential solution to the "realism" issues some are having with multi-crew implementation.

What do you prefer on your bacon sandwich?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hail Satan! :D

I worship Sagan instead.

flat,800x800,075,t.u3.jpg

But on the other hand... bacon...

Or you just hire a merc at a station near your friend (appearance governed by the grim mercy of random avatar generation), control said merc, and get a percentage of the presumably ill-gotten gains as a finders fee or whatever?

Yup. "Placeholders" are forever. Everyone should know this by now.

"Temporary" barracks built for WW 2 were used for us at one of my training bases. We had to clean, polish, use toothbrushes on everything, etc. The structures had been in use for nearly forty years, and were held together by floor wax.

At the nearly end of my training time at that base,the fire department began doing practice burns for training on these structures.

A two-story barracks went from a complete structure, to ashes and plumbing, in about three minutes.

Three. Minutes.

No fire detectors in place, either. :(

Temporary Is Permanent, and Permanent Is Temporary.

Don't they have some "10 year road map" they wish to implement? I'm not comparing games directly, but I remember EVE when it first launched, and if you compare it to now, it's almost an entirely different game. FPS might be taking them longer than anticipated, but that's what I expected anyway (Possibly even year 4), so yeah, this could indeed be a stop gap mechanic. Like Bomba Luigi said earlier though, it's all speculation. I just feel people are making way too much of it, and the option to maintain immersion/realism by travelling to your friends system before transferring, is there for everyone.

As for the immersion argument. That doesn't seem to be the issue for you, but the possible omission of legs is, and I understand that concern. I do feel it is a little unfounded at this point though, especially seeing as DB himself, as well as numerous members of the FDev team have repeatedly stated that space legs is one of the key features they want in ED. The immersion/realism argument against MC does seem to be a recurring thing currently though. Maybe not from yourself, but most definitely from a lot of others.

You should read Bomba Luigis first quote in this thread more carefully. People may not be able to fully articulate what they're worried about, but Bomba nailed it. They sense that instant is wrong and may use the word "immersion" but really what they're worried about is the future of space legs. If you read the detail of what they're saying it's obvious and quite clear.

You may want to console yourself with it being a "temporary" or "stop gap" measure, but the reality is that once you go with instant hopping around, then any change that slows this down will be considered a "downgrade". So Frontier are painting themselves into a corner for what will be possible to implement with SpaceLegs. That's more of a design choice and a marketing reality than a technical limitation. They are effectively giving Star Citizen a gift as the sole king of the immersive 1st person experience. So people that prefer that method of playing are going to leave for SC in droves when it comes out. Maybe they always where? Idk, but I'd hoped that Elite with it's scientific accuracy would have been the immersion king. Ah well. Frontier doesn't seem to want that role. They seem to think that appealing to casuals and arcade shooter types is the way to go. Which means they don't think too highly of their target audience.

Last edited:
You should read Bomba Luigis first quote in this thread more carefully. People may not be able to fully articulate what they're worried about, but Bomba nailed it. They sense that instant is wrong and may use the word "immersion" but really what they're worried about is the future of space legs. If you read the detail of what they're saying it's obvious and quite clear.

You may want to console yourself with it being a "temporary" or "stop gap" measure, but the reality is that once you go with instant hopping around, then any change that slows this down will be considered a "downgrade". So Frontier are painting themselves into a corner for what will be possible to implement with SpaceLegs. That's more of a design choice and a marketing reality than a technical limitation. They are effectively giving Star Citizen a gift as the sole king of the immersive 1st person experience. So people that prefer that method of playing are going to leave for SC in droves when it comes out. Maybe they always where? Idk, but I'd hoped that Elite with it's scientific accuracy would have been the immersion king. Ah well. Frontier doesn't seem to want that role. They seem to think that appealing to casuals and arcade shooter types is the way to go. Which means they don't think much of their target audience.

+1 rep to the voice of reason throughout this whole debacle

What I wonder is, why would anyone be in a ship at all? Why should a CMDR actually ever really be on the ship if it can simply be controlled instantly from anywhere? Space is dangerous, no need to put your life at risk like that. And if that's the case, why then do our fighter pilots die when the ship blows up if they could just as easily be sitting in some station or on some planet somewhere, controlling the ship via this instantaneous thingamajig. It's not taking the science side of a sci-fi universe seriously, holes all over the place. With this one bit of magic, they destroy the whole concept. If there's no reason for anyone to actually be on a ship, why have life support? Why have cabins? Why do you even need to make the ship airtight, you don't, you don't even need these holographic people, you could just control the ship through an interface, no need for a cabin with chairs, just cameras and sensors. This would drastically change ship design, no ship would make sense anymore. I have really tried to support FD up until now, but with this update, it just seems like they're not taking it seriously. They don't have their lore down, they can't decide how their universe works and are cutting holes in it to explain game mechanics.

Ok, I think I might kick up a storm here, but, People replace the butter on your bread of choice (For a bacon sandwich of course) with Mayo and thank me later.

I'm worried for this game.
I mean, first red sauce is last in the poll, and now we have a Mayo suggestion.

It only gets worse .. why not try some Tamarind sauce as well ... (if you haven't, you should) ...

back on topic: Red sauce is for sausages and burgers .. that's all!

I would have preferred if they just didn't try to explain it at all, same with ship launch fighters. They didn't need to explain it they didn't need to come up with remote controlling. It didn't add immersion or anything but gave limitations and issues they may encounter in future when they are implement something else or changing some stuff. This kind of stuff doesn't need to be explained at all. If player want they can come up with their own explanation but frontier shouldn't give official explanation because some will always disagree with it, it doesn't make sense in many chases and just limit their options in future.

I agree. No explanation was needed. All they had to say was, it's instant at the moment, it may change further down the line depending on development of features.

That would be fine.

What I wonder is, why would anyone be in a ship at all? Why should a CMDR actually ever really be on the ship if it can simply be controlled instantly from anywhere? Space is dangerous, no need to put your life at risk like that. And if that's the case, why then do our fighter pilots die when the ship blows up if they could just as easily be sitting in some station or on some planet somewhere, controlling the ship via this instantaneous thingamajig. It's not taking the science side of a sci-fi universe seriously, holes all over the place. With this one bit of magic, they destroy the whole concept. If there's no reason for anyone to actually be on a ship, why have life support? Why have cabins? Why do you even need to make the ship airtight, you don't, you don't even need these holographic people, you could just control the ship through an interface, no need for a cabin with chairs, just cameras and sensors. This would drastically change ship design, no ship would make sense anymore. I have really tried to support FD up until now, but with this update, it just seems like they're not taking it seriously. They don't have their lore down, they can't decide how their universe works and are cutting holes in it to explain game mechanics.

And they have Drew Wagar writing his novel... why should I invest in it at all? The universe is a swiss cheese of inconsistency, there are a million better thought out works of sci-fi to read. But hey, who cares about being immersed in a book right? Who reads books anyway?

And they have Drew Wagar writing his novel... why should I invest in it at all? The universe is a swiss cheese of inconsistency, there are a million better thought out works of sci-fi to read. But hey, who cares about being immersed in a book right? Who reads books anyway?

Not me, that's for sure :cool:

Last edited:
Now first off, Two point three is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue about who flamed who.

Now, with the customary Monty Python reference out of the way, let's get down to brass tacks.

Multi-crew implementation seems to be a hot topic on these here forums currently, and I understand some of the complaints. I do however find those complaints to be very silly, and this is such a silly place at times. Why? Because this game is full of contrived pseudo-science, much like any other sci-fi game... Now then, this is where I'll get to the crux of my post: The Neural Interfaced Holographic Projector,or NIPH if you'd prefer. "What is this NIPH you speak of Mr Hitsuke of Zaragas?" I hear you ask. Well it is some contrived pseudo-science that will explain to you all, exactly how one can instantaneously end up on another commanders ship, regardless of relative distance. Now I can tell you're trembling with excitement at what is to come, but be patient my good commanders, because my waffle shall reach epic proportions in the following lines of text.

Much like the holoprojectors, seen in our beloved Star Trek, the NIPH enables us to have a full sensory experience via the conversion of energy stuff into real particle thingies by way of some high tech gadgets and thingamabobs (I'll let FDev and DB decide on the silly names for such instruments). Our image is transmitted via the same comms array used by Galnet and other such intersystem communications systems after a handy software upgrade which was performed recently by Microapplesoft (Windows 65 SP17 iirc). The NIPH allows us to see and feel as if we were actually there, while the CMDR who is actually flying the ship can also physically touch us as if we were there in actual physical form (allowing for all kinds of naughty shenanigans, if that's what floats your Beluga). All sensory actions you perform remotely are converted into fancy Prisma-plasmatic (Oooh I like that one) energy signals and transferred at 365,481,976,987x the speed of light, directly into your neo-frontal cortex (If there's any brain doctors in here, feel free to correct me on that one), thus allowing you to feel everything as if YOU were there. This upgrade will be installed on every ship upon your next docking, and will only weight 3kg, with the only potential Engineer upgrade being a Grade 1 lightweight mod.

FDev, you can feel free to pilfer and plunder this idea, shall you feel the urge, as it only took five minutes for me to think of. I personally felt that using some imagination and coming up with a potential solution was a better use of my time, rather than creating yet ANOTHER thread detailing how dissatisfied I was with the multi-crew game feature implementation. Oh and don't forget the all important poll... We can never have enough polls.

I'd also like to add that in the future, pigs are capable of space flight, due to some contrived pseudo-science that I lack the time or motivation to get into.

View attachment 114119

I was thinking the method from the movie Surrogates might be better than holograms. That or empty standard robot/cyborg bodies that you can ghost into like in ghost in the shell. Physical interaction with holograms is a bit to high tech for a game universe without gravity generators or tractor beams.

Or you just hire a merc at a station near your friend (appearance governed by the grim mercy of random avatar generation), control said merc, and get a percentage of the presumably ill-gotten gains as a finders fee or whatever?

Ozram suggested something very similar.

Goose4291

Banned
It doesn't reduce the impetus at all, and it's pretty evident to me and anyone else with a semblance of intelligence that this is purely a stop-gap until legs is implemented. Removing the system that they're bringing in now will be fairly easy for them to remove once we get legs, and we are getting legs aren't we!?!?!?!

If it's done that way I forsee "Fruntier have ruined my game with these changes, I'm time-poor with five kidz to feed and this change to the way we do things now discriminates against me and wasn't what I bought Horizons for! I demand a refund plox!" type threads by the bucket load.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom