A question for explorers that have made it to the Core...

My style changed wildly formt he start. I kicked off almost as though I was doing th eBuckyball Sag A* (this is will before it was launched) wanting to just make it to Sag A* simply to get my name ont he list, and to see SagA*.

For the first 3000-5000Ly, I just jumped, honked, scanned main star an dmoved on, regardless of what planets I saw. Id id not know how to differentiate, apart form big and small - and gas giants, obviously.

Then I was chatting to another explorer about Earthlike worlds. So I started looking out for them, and scanning anything that looked even close to an Earthlike. then I heard about Black holes and Neutrons being valuable. and then I found the picture with the various planets and stars, and their values.

I slowly shifted from scanning stars only, to scanning everything, and then back to wher eI am now, which is pretty much somewhere between "omnivore" and "carnivore". I don't really bother with ice and rock balls, and won't bother going too far out for High Metal Content planets, though I'll fly 500k Ls if something even looks like an Ammonia World, Water World or Earthlike.

Finally, I do have one little spanner in my own system to mess with me. For every 500-1000Ly jump route, I force myself to scan every single thing in the last system I land in. No matter what. Sometimes you get "lucky", and it's just a few objects. Othertimes...

But still, it's kind of fun to anticipate what will be in that last system.

Z...

pretty much somewhere between "omnivore" and "carnivore". I don't really bother with ice and rock balls, and won't bother going too far out for High Metal Content planets, though I'll fly 500k Ls if something even looks like an Ammonia World, Water World or Earthlike.

That's about where I'm at now too (after doing about 10 kylies on scan every last thing that's not a belt cluster, however far away it may be).

Last edited:
Finally, I do have one little spanner in my own system to mess with me. For every 500-1000Ly jump route, I force myself to scan every single thing in the last system I land in. No matter what. Sometimes you get "lucky", and it's just a few objects. Othertimes...

Sigma Orionis and Alpha Centauri? :D

OK, I give up. What's the secret to finding earth likes? I haven't found a single one. You sound like you can spot them from the system map before you've even scanned them!

Pretty much what they said:

A combination of these has steered me right so far.

You can hear them if you turn the volume up and zoom in on the system map. It take a few seconds to fade in but ice worlds, for instance sound windy. The metal rich ones have this high pitch shimmer sound and the earth-likes you can hear birds and forest stuff. It's real faint but it's there.

I generally check out every blue planet, and the sounds help too.

Just listen to the planet...those beautiful birds chirping....

I made it on my second attempt. I actually got 3000ly from the core before I accidentally rammed an asteroid while trying to take some pretty pictures of a lovely pink giant. next thing I new after weeks of traveling was I back in Imperial Space screaming at my keyboard, my screen, my dog and my other half.

ah well this is whats its about I suppose. :mad:

I made it on my second attempt and managed to get back safely down to 83% damage, a wonky FDS and brown underpants.

I only honked and jumped but still made nearly 30million for the effort. :D

So well done commander for making it.

be careful on your way back because landing is a very scary experience specially after you've not done it for 3 months. :D

I was out six weeks, taking a very lazy route (first to the East Veil Nebula, then SagA*). Basically I honked, scanned interesting stuff, and moved on.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, it also took me six weeks because I was compiling footage for my videos ;)

[video=youtube;avsRSr4gneY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avsRSr4gneY[/video]

[video=youtube;zgXH0VxkKF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgXH0VxkKF4[/video]

to sum up the planetary sounds thread:

If it's a gas giant:
If it's silent its an ammonia life or helium giant
If it's bubbling/trickling its a water life or water giant
If it's doing anything else, skip it.

If it's blue:
If it's bubbling its a water world
If it's making static and bird chirps and other crazy stuff, its an earthlike

If it's brown/gold:
If its silent, its an ammonia world.

Everything else has its own sound you will get to know over time if you want but those are the big ones.

Last edited:
to sum up the planetary sounds thread:

If it's a gas giant:
If it's silent its an ammonia life or helium giant
If it's bubbling/trickling its a water life or water giant
If it's doing anything else, skip it.

If it's blue:
If it's bubbling its a water world
If it's making static and bird chirps and other crazy stuff, its an earthlike

If it's brown/gold:
If its silent, its an ammonia world.

Everything else has its own sound you will get to know over time if you want but those are the big ones.

I've been paying attention, and I have found Ammonia worlds are not silent. There is a bubbling sound, almost like a freshwater spring, but mainly on the low frequencies. You need to turn it up a bit, but they are certainly not silent.

I do have a reasonably good set of speakers/subwoofer surround setup, so maybe my setup can reproduce the frequencies some system (especially PC speakers) can't? Would explain the "silence"...

Z...

I scan the whole system and always detail scan the main star and anything within scanner range while on a route. Anything that looks ELW etc...I'll make the effort to scan that.

Every 20 jumps or so, I usually detail scan the entire system unless it looks a waste of time.

Top Bottom