A small portion of doooom.

I think the premise of using engineer unlocks to expose players to the various career options is fantastic. What isn't, is how much exposure it requires. Trading in 50 markets or mining 500T of Painite is too much. Once can do 20% of those and get a good feel for how it works and whether they'd like to pursue it further. I'd feel differently if these requirements were for unlocking engineering directly related, ie mining 500t to unlocking mining specific engineering, rather than having to trade in 50 markets so I can improve my combat ships.
Both 500T painite mining and 50 markets are very easy to get in 1 or 2 hours. If you're a trader, you don't even have to think about 50 markets as it happens naturally. Same goes for mining.

I decided to play in the open play universe to do the Cornsar missions with some actual players for a change. Big mistake. After delivering ONE load of Basic Medicines a player named CommanderCrimsongamer99 or some such thing blew up my ship for no reason. I wasn't even carrying any cargo. I'm sure he had a great time, not fun for me. Even the NPC ships that came to help couldn't touch him. First time I lost the Imperial Cutter. So back to Solo Play forever for me. Gankers can enjoy their open play universe to themselves.

Probably not the wisest place to dip your toe into Open.
Any "formal gathering" of players is likely to attract the scum and villainy of the galaxy.

Best way to get comfortable in Open is just to do run-of-the-mill stuff in Open.
Bung any CMDR you see an "o7" and see how they respond.
If a CMDR forms up on your six, drop out of SC and then quit to Solo... if you must.

Easy and boring, just like watching paint dry.
That's my point. If trading isn't boring to you, don't focus on qualifying for the engineer. If you think it's boring, don't bother unlocking that engineer. Either way, it's VERY easy to complete those tasks and profit by them. And if you prefer combat, do the trading goal by carrying a cargo hold full of gold - you'll have to fight off pirates the whole time. Same for mining - do it in a Haz Res with gold in the cargo hold.

Frontier has split Elite into multiple boxes. Those who can run Oddy, those who can't/won't on PC, and are playing Horizons, and the console players are left with Horizons.

It's the internet. It's going to happen. I haven't played for a while, but when I did it was open - five years or so and I got ganked twice. The whole griefers thing is blown out of proportion, it's not the gankers that killed open, it's just that not many people are playing anymore
You need to provide some context. Of course if you go out into dark space for months at a time, you're not likely to get ganked, nor see other players.

I don't share your experience at all. I was ganked within 5 minutes of my first time in open when I thought it would be a good idea to play with others at a community goal.

I've made several beginners tutorial videos, and ofen, I'd have to completely redo hours of work because I got ganked in my unarmed Sidewinder trying to get to Diaguandri for a decent FSD. Just about every time I've played in open, I've met guys spoiling for a fight, except when I was in relatively unknown systems.

Don’t just go for a small portion of doom - go full Rapture

1919B947-3E2E-491E-A1B7-563A49A8538E.jpeg

You need to provide some context. Of course if you go out into dark space for months at a time, you're not likely to get ganked, nor see other players.

I don't share your experience at all. I was ganked within 5 minutes of my first time in open when I thought it would be a good idea to play with others at a community goal.

To be fair, I think it probably IS fair to say "gankers didn't kill Open".
I'd suggest that if anything has "killed Open" it's simply a lack of incentive to play there.

OTOH, I'd also agree that it's incorrect to understate the threat from gankers.
It's not easy to form a properly balanced opinion these days, due to the overall lack of players in Open, but at it's peak popularity I'd see at least a couple of dozen CMDRs in each session and I'd get attacked at least once every session.
If I was in, say, Deciat, Robigo, Shin Dez, at mining system or at a CG it could happen every 5 minutes!

Trouble is, these days, is seems (to me, at least) like players have either migrated to PGs or they simply don't care about the non-pew-pew interactions they might have in Open so they opt for Solo.
That being the case, it's more likely players you DO encounter are looking for pew-pew if you choose to fly in Open.
Course, the flip-side of that is that, due to the overall reduced number of players in Open, you're much less likely to encounter any players at all.

I'd suggest that if anything has "killed Open" it's simply a lack of incentive to play there.

It's not easy to form a properly balanced opinion these days, due to the overall lack of players in Open, but at it's peak popularity I'd see at least a couple of dozen CMDRs in each session and I'd get attacked at least once every session.
If I was in, say, Deciat, Robigo, Shin Dez, at mining system or at a CG it could happen every 5 minutes!

Trouble is, these days, is seems (to me, at least) like players have either migrated to PGs or they simply don't care about the non-pew-pew interactions they might have in Open so they opt for Solo.
That being the case, it's more likely players you DO encounter are looking for pew-pew if you choose to fly in Open.
Course, the flip-side of that is that, due to the overall reduced number of players in Open, you're much less likely to encounter any players at all.
Maybe if players received say 25% more rewards for missions and for commodity sales in Open Play mode it would encourage people to try playing in open. Open is all risk and no reward at this point.

Deleted member 182079

D

I'm still not convinced that fewer players play in Open compared to other modes, although I do reckon it is the case with CGs. I still play in Open all the time, and so do most of the few leftover players in my friendlist; even though I have to make do with a noob setup (after a CMDR wipe), and did indeed get ganked at the recent combat CG where a Mamba was hovering above a settlement - not that it caught me out, I figured out what they were doing there, and I could've easily avoided them as I saw them well before they noticed me, but once they did spot me I was toast because my ship (Cobra 3) was too weak (multirole build), too slow (lack of G5 engineering access) and too small (getting mass locked by the Mamba) - all the while being planetside with 180 degrees being blocked off as an escape route, and high waking would've taken too long so I just waited to be exploded. So I guess CGs being the rare place where you do bump into other players - if this happens to you as a new player I don't blame them switching modes as there's not a lot you can do even with fancy flying to avoid the rebuy screen.

Before I wiped, I had a G5'd fleet at my disposal, and while getting destroyed wasn't really a big risk as such, it was more nuisances that occur when you share an instance. Mats in damaged stations getting hoovered up by other players, lag being introduced, pads getting hogged, kill-stealing in combat zones/RES's and wing invites getting ignored... switching to Solo during a CG is simply more productive especially when unique CG rewards are in play. And since the social aspect (as overrated as I personally believe it is) in the form of system chat works across modes people can spam that without having to fly in Open as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still not convinced that fewer players play in Open compared to other modes, although I do reckon it is the case with CGs.....

Fair comment.

Speaking as somebody who's just arrived in EDO, with a new CMDR, but remembers the busiest times of ED and EDH, I think it's indisputable that there are fewer players in Open - and definitely fewer players who're in Open "by default" rather than for a specific reason (usually pew-pew) - but it IS speculative to assume they're in other modes of EDO rather than simply not being in EDO at all.

Of course, that is kind of depressing since, thinking back to the launch of Horizons, it seemed like everybody vanished from ED overnight and Horizons became the "default" game.
The possibility that might not have happened with Odyssey isn't a good sign.

Incidentally, I guess it should be the easiest thing in the world to simply log back into EDH and see how busy Open is.
Alas, it seems like one of the bugs with EDO is related to keybinds and I've found that every time I switch modes I have to redo them so I'm kind of "stuck" in EDO - and, of course, I genuinely do want to spend my time investigating the new gameplay it offers.
Point being, I can't easily check player numbers in EDO compared to EDH without the faff of redoing my keybinds. :confused:

Inara's a popular site for all sorts of ED related activities, and Inara's "Various Statistics" page is very handy for crunching numbers on how things tick.

How I crunch those numbers, it seems that about a quarter of all players have tried CQC.
Two thirds of those who attempt it go into a fetal position, rocking from side to side blocking out the outside world as they sing "In My Safe Space", from Southpark, to themselves.
The remaining one-third will try CQC for real; these are people who are ranked "Mostly Helpless", or better, in CQC.
Key to this paragraph is the ×3 multiplier.

From the same stats page on Inara you can get 5.23% people that have "Mostly Defenceless", or better, in Mercenary.
Multiply that by three, reasoning the paragraph above, and you'll get a guesstimate that ~16% of all ED players ever, from 2014 to today, have bought and played Odyssey.

Not bad, I'd say.
It's a magic number, that sixteen percent, too; in the Tech Adoption Life Cycle it means you've gotten the Innovator and Early Adopters on board - and now you'll need to convince all the others to follow suit.

And it's likely more then just those sixteen percent, because putting effort in CQC is much harder then doing Mercenary related stuff for a variety of reasons.

Of course, that is kind of depressing since, thinking back to the launch of Horizons, it seemed like everybody vanished from ED overnight and Horizons became the "default" game.
The possibility that might not have happened with Odyssey isn't a good sign.
But horizons didn't split the player base up from ED players?

Alas, it seems like one of the bugs with EDO is related to keybinds and I've found that every time I switch modes I have to redo them so I'm kind of "stuck" in EDO - and, of course, I genuinely do want to spend my time investigating the new gameplay it offers.
Point being, I can't easily check player numbers in EDO compared to EDH without the faff of redoing my keybinds. :confused:
You don't need to re-do them. If you have custom keybinds all you need to do is re-select the preset from the dropdown list after switching. You just need your preset to have a different name to the default so it doesn't get overwritten.

Top Bottom