General Gameplay A suggestion for "Choice digsite mode" for challenge mode

Hi everyone!

I keep reading how players would like to have a choice option for JWE challenge mode, and I have a suggestion on how this could be done.

Currently the 2 digsite options are default (unlocking dinosaurs based on the campaign), and random. Random mode has added a fresh air to the overall experience of challenge mode in which we do not experience the same dinosaurs over and over again. I think it will be very possible to have a new mode that would allow us to choose our dinosaurs in whatever method we would like.

For this example, I will be using the default 37 dinosaurs alongside the deluxe pack and carnivore pack to give an idea how this could work, so 45 in total.

When playing the game, you would notice that there are 3 types of dinosaurs: digsite dinosaurs, research dinosaurs, and hybrids. Digsite dinosaurs are dinos you would automatically unlock when getting a new star ratting, while the rest are research only; which includes all dinosaurs added after the game's initial launch and hybrids. The regular dig site dinosaurs in turn never change. Of all the dinosaurs, the same 31 dinosaurs will be unlocked automatically with each star unlock.

In a default dig site game, I believe the number of dinosaurs unlocked via stars are like this:

• 5 by default
• 5 in 1 star
• 9 in 2 stars
• 3 in 3 stars
• 7 in 4 stars.

To make this work for choice mode, I believe this will be great for equal opportunity:

• 6 by default
• 6 in 1 star
• 6 in 2 stars
• 6 in 3 stars
• 6 in 4 stars

You would notice that it totals to 30, and not 31. That is because I think it is best to have the struthiomimus be unlocked by default as a failsafe incase the choices made early on would be too much for the player to handle early on. Plus having 6 unlocks per star rating would make the choices of dinosaurs per star rating feel fair and allow for a good variety of species.

And how will this work? Simple. When you start a challenge mode game, you would be prompted with an expedition form from Cabot Finch. The form would ask of you to select 6 dinosaurs of the 30 shown. When all 6 are selected and the player "Signs" the form, the 6 dinosaurs that are selected will be unlocked in the digsite map. This form will come up again after each star rating asking for the additional 6 dinosaurs until the 4th star rating. In which the game will automatically unlock the last 6 dinosaurs.

As for the research dinosaurs, I would suggest this:

In this example, there are 5 locked dinosaurs from the default game, 5 locked in deluxe pack, and 3 unlocked in the carnivore pack.

In standard game, each of these dinosaurs are unlocked via star ratings. In packs of 5, each dinosaur of that pack would be unlocked in their respective star rating, while the packs with 3 dinosaurs would often skip the 1st and 3rd star rating. So with the 13 research dinosaurs, they are normally unlocked like:

• 3 by default
• 2 in 1 star
• 3 in 2 stars
• 2 in 3 stars
• 3 in 4 stars

To make this feel like a choice as well, players would be greeted with all of the researchable dinosaurs unlocked, hower, a limit will be shown like (0/3 dinosaurs selected for research).
Once you have researched 3 dinosaurs by the start, all of the remaining dinosaurs will lock up. You would have to wait until the next star rating in order to get the chance to research further dinosaurs, but only by that star rating's limit. So when you hit 1 star, that limit will read (3/5 dinosaurs selected for research), and 2 stars would extend that limit to (3/8 dinosaurs elected for research).

As for the hybrids, I wish to have them be unlocked by availability as opposed to choice. That way if you choose a velociraptor and tyrannosaurus, you do not need to wait to make a choice to research the indominus rex, as the access to research the hybrid will only be available when you get 100% genomes of her respective ingredient dinosaurs.

Why I went with this and not selectable digsites is because dig sites are not equal in choice. Choosing Egg Mountain with 1 dinosaur is not equal to choosing Dinosaur Park formation with 9. Dinosaurs are also divided between multiple digsites, so you won't be able to get 100% genomes of certain dinosaurs unless you select all 3 corresponding digsites of that dinosaur. Limiting the choice to species however would make things more fair and personal to the player, and would future proof this mode for future inclusion of dinosaurs as they all are set as researchable dinosaurs anyway, away from the 31 untouched dig site dinosaurs.

What do you guys think? Please let me know. I hope this makes sense and that we could see such a method introduced into the game eventually! :) 🦕

Kind regards,
Pixelated Sparkster

I made a miscount from my end. I didn’t count in the indominous rex, so we have exactly 30 dinosaurs for the digsites and not 31. So the struthi will not be unlocked by default but is part of the entire selectable default digsite dinosaur roster.

Okay, in that case. Here is an example, I will use all DLC dinosaurs before RTJP for this example/

New challenge mode game starts. Before the challenge begins, you will be given a new window on the screen. On that screen are icons of 30 dinosaurs, these dinosaurs are the ones you get to unlock through regular digging without research. Which are:
  1. Ankylosaurus
  2. Apatosaurus
  3. Brachiosaurus
  4. Camarasaurus
  5. Ceratosaurus
  6. Chasmosaurus
  7. Chungkingosaurus
  8. Corythosaurus
  9. Deinonychus
  10. Dilophosaurus
  11. Diplodocus
  12. Edmontosaurus
  13. Gallimimus
  14. Gigantspinosaurus
  15. Huayangosaurus
  16. Maiasaura
  17. Muttaburrasaurus
  18. Pachycephalosaurus
  19. Parasaurolophus
  20. Pentaceratops
  21. Polaccanthus
  22. Sauropelta
  23. Spinosaurus
  24. Stegosaurus
  25. Struthiomimus
  26. Torosaurus
  27. Triceratops
  28. Tsintaosaurus
  29. Tyrannosaurus
  30. Velociraptor

From these 30, you are allowed to choose 6 of the dinosaurs per star level. So you want to have a start similar to an option in JPOG in this playthrough, you recall Morrison Formation A & B had stegosaurus, dryosaurus, ceratosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Dilophosaurus, and Camarasaurus. You note that the dryosaurus is a research only dinosaur and you choose the Huayangosaurus in her place so the stegosaur has a dinosaur to share the exhibit with.

So your first roster of dinosaurs at zero stars are:
  1. Stegosaurus
  2. Ceratosaurus
  3. Brachiosaurus
  4. Dilophosaurus
  5. Camarasaurus
  6. Huayangosaurus
You still want to use that dryosaurus, so you go to the research tab to see if she is available, and you notice all of the dinosaurs in the research area are selectable. They are all selectable, however you notice in the screen there is a '0/3 dinosaurs selected' in the research screen. That tells you that you could choose any dinosaur in the research page, but only 3. You can not do more until you raise your star rating, but it is okay as you only want the dryosaurus for now. You select her and research begins, and the screen now shows '1/6 dinosaurs selected'.

So now, you have Morrison Formation A&B for the start of this playthrough alongside the Huayangosaurus. This is a selection you are okay with and challenge mode continues. So you continue to build your park as usual until you hit the 1 star rating. Cabot finch congratulates you and the same fossil screen from the start pops in. It has the 30 dinosaurs as last time, but the stegosaurus, ceratosaurus, brachiosaurus, dilophosaurus, camarasaurus, and huayangosaurus are shown to have been selected. You now choose the next 6 dinosaurs, this time you feel you want to introduce some cretaceous dinosaurs to your park. So you choose for your 1st star roster.
  1. Ankylosaurus
  2. Corythosaurus
  3. Edmontosaurus
  4. Struthiomimus
  5. Tyrannosaurus Rex
  6. Velociraptor
So now you have chosen 12 of the 30 species available through standard digsite. Each new star rating will add 6 new species to the roster, but it is of your choosing, so by 2 stars you have 18, by 3 stars you have 25, And finally at 4 stars the final 6 you have not chosen so far are unlocked automatically. Giving you access to the entire non-researchable dinosaurs.

You go to check the research tab after achieving 1 star, and you see the limit of selectable dinosaurs have jumped from 6 to 12. So it reads '1/12 dinosaurs selected'. As the total researchable dinosaur count with all patches and DLC as of now totals to 31 Dinosaurs. This means that each star adds about 6 dinosaurs to the researchable dinosaur limit.

---------------

I hope this makes sense, it has a lot of numbers hahhaha, but I think it is possible for a choice based digsite for challenge mode. Challenge mode won't always be played for a fast challenge, so allowing players to choose their dinosaurs for a leisure park management game should cater to players with a more focused vision in mind that random digsite or default digsite won't deliver. Please let me know if you have any further question. :)

This is indeed a mouthful. Don't you think it is slightly too complicated?
Your right -.-
I did overcomplicated the text.

Basically, we get to choose the dinosaurs per star level. So players who like choice over chance could enjoy this mode of play in challenge made. I am sure frontier would make a more streamlined method.

Don't we already choose which dinos to excavate per star level or you're talking about actually deciding what is in each digsite?

Don't we already choose which dinos to excavate per star level or you're talking about actually deciding what is in each digsite?
Actually deciding the set we would get.

Like we do choose which dinosaurs we get from a set per star level. So this is to allow us to make the sets per star level.

Top Bottom