A tale of bitter disappointment, utter excitement and a rash purchase

Having read through just about all the VR threads (while talking breaks) I can't believe I tried to give you some advice, you seem to be one of the main contributors to the VR topics. In fact I've adopted some of the suggestions you have made in another thread.

I can however give a bit of feedback on some of the topics that I was concerned about prior to purchase and seem to be an issue for some users. So I hope this helps some people who may have some concerns.

Set up was very easy, after set up I used it for about 4 hours at which point I had to stop as I had a headache felt disorientated and nauseous. Went back to it the following day and did an hour with no issues. I have been gradually increasing my time and frequency with it on and now I can quite easily do a 2 hour stint with no affects other than I can't stop grinning. If at any time users start to feel the cold clammy sweats take a break as that is an early warning. It is very much a build up a tolerance type of thing rather than developing an aversion.

I have glasses, they fit OK with the HMD on, I can also do fine without them although my eyes do feel more fatigued when not wearing them. However I have been building up a tolerance to the HMD and under normal circumstances I never play for two hours straight, I have a tea and cake addiction so generally take a break after half an hour. So all in all, for me, all is good.

As far as clarity, what can I say. For me it is astonishing, never got my hover car but I have got VR then again I started playing video games when Jaws came out, the graphics more than meets my hopes.

Blacks, mine are sufficiently black. The bar that comes up when opening the mission board for example, is very black. The black of space is..... well black. I see no issues with the blacks. God rays, I have looked for them but to be honest I'm not sure what they look like. I have never seen anything resembling there description. I have viewed Henry as I believe some people say they are particularly prevalent at the beginning with the white on black txt, but I saw nothing out of the ordinary.

I am one extremely happy CV1 owner who luckily has not had any of the issues or problems others are/have been having. My system is as below, it was built with VR in mind.

I am using the in game VR High profile but with antialiasing off and super sampling at X2.0 DOF off. All gameplay so far has been in 2.1. If people have any question please just ask cos prior to purchase I had 100's

Win10
16GB Ram
i7-6700K 4.0GHz
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP Extreme Spectra
Corsair RM750i Power supply
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo
Corsair Graphite 780T case
Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler
and lots of white LED fans.

Last edited:
In the interests of balance I just wanted to say that I had a fairly lengthy and apologetic telephone call from John Lewis Customer Service on Sunday and have also just received the following email.

Dear Mr Turner,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me yesterday regarding your recent experience with John Lewis. I was concerned to read the disappointing service you have received and I am grateful for you taking the time to bring this to my attention.

I have spoken with John Lewis Oxford Street to gain a better understanding of the product and related services available. It is clear from your email you were interested in booking an appointment for a demonstration of the new Oculus Rift and were informed this was not necessary. At John Lewis we strive to offer excellent customer service, priding ourselves on our relationship with our customers and acknowledge we have let you down on this occasion.

At present there is only one Partner within John Lewis Oxford Street who is trained on the operating of this new product and the Partner you have spoken with may not have known the dates or times the demo would be available. Additional training has been planned for more Partners as we understand how popular this product is.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment caused by the poor advice given resulting in a wasted journey. Please be assured I have provided feedback to the relevant department manager and team within our Head Office in order for them to address this accordingly.

Having investigated this matter, I can confirm a demonstration of the product can be booked via Oculus directly for a branch of your choice. I would be happy to arrange this for you, if you can let me know a convenient time and date. I would also like to offer a gesture of my apologies to the value of £20 which I hope will cover your travelling and parking expenses for the wasted journey.

I look forward to hearing from you in the hope I can restore your faith within John Lewis.

Yours sincerely,
###### ####
Customer Relations Case Manager

I had a rash once back in the 80s I dont recommend them.

But congrats on the Occulus. I will only ever play Elite in my Rift from now on. Its just too immersive to ever go back to the flat screen.

Funnily enough, I had exactly the same tip off a few days back. I videoed it too. The cargo containers were very interesting as well. I've seen the UAs before collecting them for Palin but they are an awesome find none the less! I took the UA to the nearest system and sold it on the black market. I think I made about 500k for the data scan of the crashed conda and a couple hundred k for the UA :cool:

Top Bottom