A terrible miss use of high tech (I am enjoying the new cruise boost)

Needed to go to Sirius so I could unlock Marco quaint so I can get to Palin.
zoomed to their fist station so I can look for a invite to Marco... was going so fast I nearly missed something...
Screenshot_0013.jpg
Is that... the OLD visitor beacon for "New Drive Technology"?
How Qwent... sorry old man nearly didn't see it as I zoomed past...
Screenshot_0014.jpg
Ah... I'm going to need to travel 11k ls to get the invite... shame... going to really struggle keeping busy fo-
Screenshot_0015.jpg
Done under 6mins.
Probably could have done it in less if I spent less time giggling like a fool.

Though... that was a few days ago... I then needed to head out to 5000ly to get palin fully unlocked... I jumped into my phantom with its 50ly range and A rated FSD...
I can REALLY feel the lack of supercruise boost... especially 1 point when I came across a system that was 100% unmapped with a terraformable and an amonia world, and I thought "yea why not? its just 13 worlds, I'll probe them all and land on the landables"
... it took SO LONG! I just a few days of abusing the super duper cruiser for things and I... I can't! Constantly just trying to get out of the gravity of worlds!!!

I am thinking now... I might just rip out the A rated FSD and bin it... I am sure I can jiggle the internals on this phantom for better range, currently its a pre-engineered 5A fsd and a size 3 fsd booster... cause this is Palin...

What's a cruise boost? We who live in Colonia don't know fancy spacey-wacey terms.
Still not there yet? :(
I hope they add it in the next server tick (tomorrow). Honestly. Or riot and burn down the whole of colonia... that way it won't matter that you don't have the ultra-cruise FSD.

When you have this new fancy FSD, everything works completely normal (for a C-rated FSD), but if you hit the boost button while in supercruise, it will go into "overdrive" mode, which will make your ship accelerate very fast to over 1000c, over 2000c, over 3000c (yes, the 2001c cap can be broken now, in overdrive). It will ignore whether you are in a gravity well (ie. very close to massive stellar object), so you can escape such a well very quickly.
It also works very well for departing from the surface of a moon, just make sure that the primary is not directly overhead when you hit the boost button, but close to that gives a splendid view as it whoooooooooooshs by a second or so after hitting boost.

The cost is that it consumes fuel very quickly, and heats up your ship also very quickly, so it can only be used in short bursts, unless you want your ship fried.
If you are susceptible to motion sickness you might have issues with it.

been a week, back in the bubble, before I mentioned how... "oh how wonderful the new fsd will be for engineering"
and in the process of tweaking my python a bit more now I have to say: yes, it is.

Recently did the whole hauling stuff to unlock Nemo, plus having to run off to get more conductive components cause I ran out of them.
signal source out at 11,000ls?! #justboost
ah damn the station with the material trader is 4000ls away and I first need to get out of the gravity of this world of the engineer before I can even THINK of going anywhere...
#justboost
getting this rare commodity is a pain cause of traveling to and back from stations to engineers repeatedly... oh wait... #justboost

Strangely I notice some worlds let you enable ultra-cruise the second you enter super-cruise, allowing you to zoom out from 10km above the surface to 400ls away from the world in 0.1 second.
whilst others... I'm looking at your world Marco Qaint!... will refuse to let you saying "gravity something something IDK" till your at 50km above the surface but still inside its orbit then finally you can enable mega-cruise and be off.

I thought I would also share a quick screenshot of my python remade in EDSY for anyone curious about what loadout I am running.
its not great... but it can splat a few low level pirates... especially since what I am doing means I only ever see like... 1... It carries 192 cargo which is great for the missions I am running and the return trip cargo haul, srv for collecting mats on surface, DSS for spotting thingz, a fuel scoop so I can scoop, but rarely needed as with an extra size 5 fuel tank this baby has enough fuel to get me there and do a bunch of giga-cruise shenanigans.
jerico python.jpg

Your mileage while using the Achillies Drive will vary on taste of equipment...

But speaking of equipment... and reading up on people doing wacky things with the new boost function.
Anyone know of any systems with like 3 very far apart scoopable stars? or just far apart worlds. Cause I was thinking of a neat idea for a race/time-trial involving a lap round a system, you'll need to have a big tank and properly plan, boost from 1 star to the other, refuel, then zoom back, maybe even add some extra twist like "pick up 1 ton of x commodity" or "get on foot then punch 1 npc then flee"

Maybe some of those racing groups are already thinking of ways to include the booster in their upcoming races.

Top Bottom