Accidentally Sold ship

Type 10 with some engineering on it before you ask.
Yea I know it has confirm and I know you thinking HOW. It wasn't majorly engineered but dam it cant you make it so you have to Type the name of the ship in to delete it.

Lesson learned dont play when very tired and not wearing my glasses.

Just a little depressing so venting...

i sold a g5 fully engineerd vette the same way.not looking what i was doing,s***t happens sry for youre loss cmdr.i sulked for a week,it was a while back so check twice befofore i transfering,i feel for you.07

Since I bought a carrier I have only sold one ship and that was just to get rid of it. Used to sell them all the time prior.

I wouldn't be too surprised if every CMDR has done that at least once in their career. I sold a mostly engineered AspX early in my career because I was making space in my hangar and selling hulls I didn't need anymore. I lost at least all the engineered core modules and probably some engineered heat sinks. I didn't think of asking support for a restore, instead I quit, sulked for an afternoon and then decided to take it on the chin. But boy, I learned that lesson - that is not going to happen again (famous last words).

This is a ship resellers' conspiracy: they've designed and approved UI which makes ship selling as easy as switching to get engineered scrap.

This is a ship resellers' conspiracy: they've designed and approved UI which makes ship selling as easy as switching to get engineered scrap.
Should be a fee to remove engineering from modules, which should be required before selling the ship.

Should be a fee to remove engineering from modules, which should be required before selling the ship.
That could lead to so much great gameplay.
1. You SELL your ship and receive a % of the materials used on its mods and Credits for the Ship and Parts.
2. You SCRAP your ship and receive a % of the materials used on its mods, then a % of materials, ore and components created from the scrapping.
3, You can SELL your ships and receive Credits for the ship and parts and or all modded items.

Then ...

4. You can captue NPC ships and scrap them.
5. You can add a Scrap Yard to your FC.
6. Ships sold for just Credits at Scrap Yards will mean the scrap yards sometimes sell modded parts. (not some random generated parts, but actuall parts from ships sold at those places)
7. Scrap Yard NPCs who collect parts from Destroyed ships in conflict areas. (this could be just a background script doing all the work). which then adds parts from ships destroyed in that system to the scrap yard.

Then ...

Let players buy and sell all materials in the game from other players.

I wouldn't be too surprised if every CMDR has done that at least once in their career. I sold a mostly engineered AspX early in my career because I was making space in my hangar and selling hulls I didn't need anymore. I lost at least all the engineered core modules and probably some engineered heat sinks. I didn't think of asking support for a restore, instead I quit, sulked for an afternoon and then decided to take it on the chin. But boy, I learned that lesson - that is not going to happen again (famous last words).
Haven't done it yet. Probably because I don't think I've ever sold a ship except for the many Haulers that I used to build to manually move ships around.

that is not going to happen again (famous last words).
But it does. It happens again and again and Frontier Service has to restore ships again and again. That time might be spent on bugfixing or whatever.

Also, I don't really want to FEAR the complete loss of my engineered ships all the time. I mean, we get them back from the insurance after they blew up, right? But we can't buy them back after an accidental sale? How stupid is that?

It just happened to me. Second time this year. It went so quick, I'm not even sure if it was my own "stupidity" (a.k.a a terribly misleading UI) or an actual bug. I mean, has anyone ever checked...?

Doesn't matter. Misleading UI design must be considered a bug anyway:
  • There are two very similar buttons close to each other with completely different and unrelated actions: switch and sell.
  • The confirmation dialog is worthless. You are conditioned to click "confirm" (think ship and module transfers), and it's a very small distance between the buttons and to "confirm".
  • Ships can be worth a billion (and probably a hundred hours of gameplay) when they are fully engineered. Gone with two clicks. No big fat warning with a countdown. Just two clicks. 😠
  • When you sell a ship you lose all modules on it. Even those that cannot be replaced, because you got them from a CG. Seriously... 🥺
  • Transferring modules between ships is something you do often. It is rare to sell a ship.

When you contact service and beg them to restore your ship, they will. At least one time. They don't want you to be frustrated, they want you to buy ARX. But you will receive a message saying the restoration of your ship is a "one time gesture of goodwill". Well, sorry folks, but: It's (at least) your UI that causes unnecessary frustration here. (Also check Reddit and the Steam forums for sad stories.)

Honestly, this is just ridiculous and should be fixed. Can't be that hard to move a button, can it?

I found this bug report and would like to ask everyone to give it some love and FDev some motivation: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/61590

But it does. It happens again and again and Frontier Service has to restore ships again and again. That time might be spent on bugfixing or whatever.

Also, I don't really want to FEAR the complete loss of my engineered ships all the time. I mean, we get them back from the insurance after they blew up, right? But we can't buy them back after an accidental sale? How stupid is that?

It just happened to me. Second time this year. It went so quick, I'm not even sure if it was my own "stupidity" (a.k.a a terribly misleading UI) or an actual bug. I mean, has anyone ever checked...?

Doesn't matter. Misleading UI design must be considered a bug anyway:
  • There are two very similar buttons close to each other with completely different and unrelated actions: switch and sell.
  • The confirmation dialog is worthless. You are conditioned to click "confirm" (think ship and module transfers), and it's a very small distance between the buttons and to "confirm".
  • Ships can be worth a billion (and probably a hundred hours of gameplay) when they are fully engineered. Gone with two clicks. No big fat warning with a countdown. Just two clicks. 😠
  • When you sell a ship you lose all modules on it. Even those that cannot be replaced, because you got them from a CG. Seriously... 🥺
  • Transferring modules between ships is something you do often. It is rare to sell a ship.

When you contact service and beg them to restore your ship, they will. At least one time. They don't want you to be frustrated, they want you to buy ARX. But you will receive a message saying the restoration of your ship is a "one time gesture of goodwill". Well, sorry folks, but: It's (at least) your UI that causes unnecessary frustration here. (Also check Reddit and the Steam forums for sad stories.)

Honestly, this is just ridiculous and should be fixed. Can't be that hard to move a button, can it?

I found this bug report and would like to ask everyone to give it some love and FDev some motivation: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/61590
Indeed. There's more security to prevent you accidentally doing a reboot/repair.

Selling a ship and part exchanging the existing ship when buying a new one are features that still have some relevance very early in a Cmdrs progression but are no longer the important features they were further into the game. I swap ships a lot, I buy ships & build ships occasionally, selling one is a rare event & more likely to be part of an occasional tidy up rather than a necessary part of ship ownership as it used to be.

The biggest issue with selling any module or outfitted ship is losing the engineered modules. Those can be recreated easily if the Cmdr has the mats now, that wasn't originally the case so accidentally selling an engineered ship or module is much less punishing than it used to be but it's still a pain.

Rather than making it harder to make the mistake (but still possible) I think making the repercussions less punishing would offer more benefits to more playstyles.

In line with the game's trend towards being less punishing of mistakes, engineering mats could be returned to the Cmdrs inventory on selling any engineered modules whether separately or as part of a ship. This might motivate players to free up module inventory space by selling engineered but obsolete or not currently useful engineered modules, and encourage more experimentation with engineering rather than only using the 'best' a google search tells players to use.

Support had to do that more often when Odyssey was released. The initial new UI didn't default to "switch to stored ship" but "sell stored ship".

It's fine now I'd say, with the required confirmation. And I don't think I've ever heard anybody saying support didn't help and I doubt there have been no repeat "offenders".

Top Bottom