Ships Acquiring The New Ships - Thoughts

In games I have played usually long anticipated new game items require some ingame effort to acquire. Otherwise its just a freebie, with not much value associated with it. Presumably FDev is putting time, money, and effort into these new ships. I would expect they would want them to be more than just a freebie item added to players' ship list.

I am curious what the requirements to acquire or build new ships will be.

Credits:
Credits flow like water. Unless a player is pretty new having a couple billion credits on hand not very tough. Established players easily have many billions. Purchasing new ships with credits can be immediate.

Engineering:
Ship engineering has been around for so long most players will have engineers unlocked for the services they value. Unless they introduce a new ship engineer, engineering access already exists for established players.

Engineering Mats:
Unless new ship mats for engineering are introduced, I expect most players to be quite capable of having sufficient mats on hand. Sure there will be the whiners, but lets face it... reasonable players can easily have stockpiles of engineering mats for a ship insta-build. Or several insta-builds.

Ranks With An Organization:
Most established players interested in ships will already be ranked-up with Federation and Empire. Maybe a new organization to rank up? FDev loves to pull from their existing play-book... so this is quite possible IMO.

Mini-Mission for Something:
Similar to getting Guardian items for the FSD booster and other modules. Maybe mini quest to go get something. Or to unlock a key feature for the ship.

CG For Ship Access:
FDev seams to really like the Community Goal concept for first access to certain items. Maybe a CG for access to purchase ship, and then a few months later it becomes available to everybody else. Not a very creative idea, but follows their current play book.

Hopefully there won't be any reputation requirements like for Cutter and 'Vette. I think a community goal to establish/accelerate the production of the new ships, giving them for free to the top 10% participants and having a discount for them after completion is all that is needed. Maybe restrict them to certain regions of the Bubble or certain economies (like being available only in military economies).

I'm not sure 'artificially' restricting the availability of new ships would be all that popular a move.

As you say, Credits are no barrier these days, so anyone who wants one would have no real issue affording one.

I like the idea of a CG to 'unlock' the new ship for all in game, with free/discount ships depending on participation.

Maybe initial availability for purchase could also be restricted to the CG system(s), with wider availability over time/mission running for the relevant faction/further CG's?

A broad section of the community will be really looking forward to new ships, and any new 'obstacles' to acquiring them will probably not go down well.

For myself, I like using the smaller 'forgotten' ships that no one uses (much) - Adders, Haulers, Asp Scouts and the like, so I'm in no hurry myself.

It'll be good to see new ships though - more options are always welcome!

Oh, perhaps also more specific roles/specific capabilities will cause these ships to stand out in some other way.

Top Bottom