Addressing the real problems that lead to board flipping

I've recently discovered that Frontier is looking at making changes to the server system in order to prevent board flipping. For those that may be unfamiliar, "board flipping" is a means to refresh the mission board of a station by logging out of the current play session, and logging back in to a different play type (open to solo or reverse) in order to get a new set of missions. Many players use this tactic to better optimize their play time by allowing them the opportunity to find and accept missions that better fit their play interests at that time... whether that is to stack many missions of the same type, or to find specific mission types that cater to their current setup (finding that hauling mission in a sea of combat ones), or to locate that elusive faction rank-up mission.

From what I understand, Frontier is looking at moving the mission board to a different server system, which would result in the significant reduction or outright elimination of the ability to board flip to refresh the missions available on the mission board. The devs, rightly so, see board flipping as an exploit used by players to circumvent the normal operation of the mission board system. What the devs fail to do, in both removing the option to board flip and in the back-handed increase of credit rewards by a paltry 10% to "compensate" players for the removal of this option, is address the reasons players will utilize the ability to refresh the mission board in the first place... namely the desire on the part of all players to quickly find the mission types and rewards they're looking for.

Of all of the core game systems in Elite Dangerous, the mission board system is perhaps one of the most important in terms of player progression and experience, and yet is also perhaps the most broken. To put it bluntly, the system simply does not work, and never has. Rather than address the reason players go out of their way to circumvent such an essential gameplay system, the devs are merely taking action to remove the method of circumvention.

Here below, I hope to outline some changes I think may help with fixing the core problems of the mission system - such that players will be able to find the types of missions and rewards they're looking for. I welcome other ideas to be added, and feedback on the ideas contained herein. Having not done much research on the general discussion of the community regarding the mission system, I do not know if any of these ideas has been previously discussed. So, if I'm expressing an idea that's already been forwarded by other community members, I apologize.

First, the mission system should be adaptable and allow for mission "refreshing" on the fly, as the player would be able to hone mission choices to their specific desires. If a player is looking to haul cargo, he should be able to find a larger variety of cargo missions. If a player is looking to hunt pirates, he should be able to find a large variety of those mission types. To effectively do this, first and foremost it may be necessary to break up the mission systems to place certain types of missions within access systems that make more sense. Certainly a large central board for all mission types is problematic for obvious reasons... most notably in that there's little control by the player as to what sorts of missions fill up that central board. By better breaking up the board... either by better partitioning mission types within that board, or relocating certain types of missions to new distributed boards, it allows for both increased player choice and significantly less clutter and overlap with non-desired missions.

For instance, I can see two basic methodologies here. First, breaking up the mission board to include combat, exploration, and trading mission sub-types - either as categories underneath each minor faction's mission list (Sol Workers' Party --> Combat Missions) or as a header under which minor factions present their missions (Combat Missions --> Sol Workers' Party). This allows us to retain one central board for missions, but then breaks up those missions into readily identifiable categories that ensure that a variety of missions in each type are available (rather than say, 20 combat missions and 1 trade mission, the board could display a handful of missions in each main archetype for each minor faction).

A better way, and more compelling and immersive for the player, is to place certain mission types within their various appropriate "contact" types. If a player wants to hunt bounties or find pirate assassination missions, perhaps he could find those under the Authorities contact. If a player wants to explore, perhaps he could find missions under the Universal Cartographics contact (the player could find missions to go to specific, largely uncharted star systems and do detailed surface scans of all planetary bodies for a large payout, just for instance). If a player wants to engage in some hauling, he could head to a Cargo (shipping, transport, etc) contact. If a player wishes to get into some smuggling or other illicit activities, he can go to the Black Market contact. If a player wants to transport passengers, he still goes to the Passenger depot.

To accomplish this, many of the existing contact types will be moved into main station menu categories much like Universal Cartographics and the Passenger Depot already are. From there, each main category will have its selection of missions as well as the station services normally associated with those sections... Players can sell exploration data at UC or pick up new explorations missions. Players can pay fines and clear bounties at an Authority contact, or turn in their own collected bounties and pick up new "wanted" missions. And so on. This allows us to have, rather than 20 total missions for a minor faction spread across all mission types at random, perhaps 10 or so missions of a given category for each minor faction in each of the more specific mission boards. This would allow for both more missions in total, as well as guarantee more mission variety. It also makes a bit more sense "narratively," as you'd expect a station's authority network to handle missions pertinent to system security, the exploration network to handle exploration missions, etc.

The next major change we have to look at for mission adaptability is to allow players to tailor the scale of missions to their needs as a way to eliminate the need to have repetitive mission goals listed as seperate missions on the mission board and to allow missions to conform to the level of the player and his equipment. It does the player little good to have 10 missions spawn for a minor faction asking a commander to kill a small number of an enemy faction's ships. Or to have several missions that want to deliver a small number of cargo items to the same port. Moreover, it does us no good to present the player with a dozen missions which require higher cargo capacity than they have, or those that would barely put a dent in their cargo hold. With the introduction of mission mechanics with the wing system, basically allowing players the ability to tackle a small part of a mission's greater whole, there is little reason that a degree of scaleability cannot be added to single-player missions that have open-ended goals.

As an example... Why set up a mission goal to deliver 17 appliances for a total of 230,000cr to a specific station? Are we saying that this faction only has produced 17 tons of appliances that it wants to ship? That it wouldn't ship more if that option was available? Instead, set the mission up to deliver appliances at a set amount per unit shipped (14,000cr per ton of appliance, for instance), and let the player determine how many he wishes to haul. This solves several problems. First, it reduces mission board clutter by establishing that a minor faction needs only a single mission to haul cargo to a given ending starport. This frees the game up to produce a wider variety of end destinations without repetitiveness. Next it solves the problem of having mission types that scale with the player. A new player could use his freshly purchased Hauler to drag 8 tons of appliances to their destination. An Anaconda pilot could do the same for 360 tons of appliances. The rewards each would receive would scale appropriately for each pilot... the newbie Hauler making the 112,000cr he'd expect to make, while the veteran Anaconda pilot would rake in 5,040,000cr... finally a worthy sum for a pilot that has grinded his way to the largest ships in the game.

This sense of scaleability and player agency can be extended to other mission types. Mining... why limit myself to 30 units of a mineral if I could easily handle more? Bounty/assassination missions... allow the player to choose the intensity of the mission engagement he wants to hunt for, giving him the option to choose to hunt down small time criminals or dangerous brigands. Exploration... allow the player to choose if he wants to fill in some less travelled corners of the bubble, or if he wants to cross vast distances of unexplored space to bring back data on a potential new Earth-like. The possibilities here to add scaleability while reducing board clutter and increasing variety are significant.

Moreover, this works to the heart of the board flipping problem... the chances of a player finding exactly the sort of mission he'd want to play would be much higher, as the variety of missions available to him would be greatly expanded... and it eliminates the need to mission stack, as scaling missions let the player bite off EXACTLY the amount they can chew with a single mission pick.

But if the player STILL can't find a mission there that's EXACTLY what he'd want, what's the harm in allowing him to refresh the board manually? Given the changes we'd be implementing here, there'd be no need to refresh the board to stack missions, since those would now scale. A board refresh would only need to occur for the sake of finding new destinations for mission end points, etc. Or perhaps even allow the player to set some of the mission parameters himself. A player could perhaps choose a shipping destination he'd like to haul to from a pre-determined group that a particular station would ship to, and could receive a payout commiserate with shipping to that location. Haul cargo to port X and receive 12,000cr per unit, but haul to port Y and receive 15,000cr per unit. Just for the sake of example.

Of course, I have a number of ideas regarding how to restructure or tune the many varieties of mission we can pick up as players to better suit individual player choice and streamline or optimize the experience. For instance, I've thought of maybe having 2 varieties of hauling missions... standard and express. "Standard" missions would point you to nearby logistics hub stations that serve as nodes for the larger distribution network. These missions would be quick and painless - not terribly dangerous and extremely predictable low-risk missions good for back and forth bulk hauling. They could be accomplished quickly and have relatively low payouts as a result. And then there's "Express" missions, where players would be tasked with more long-distance hauling to more remote locations off the beaten path - more dangerous and less predictable with longer durations for bigger payouts. Maybe even a "Hazardous" hauling mission type, where the risks are high and the rewards massive.

There are other changes to other mission types as well, (milestone bonuses for enemy threat removal combat missions that pay out increasingly higher rewards for larger accumulated kill counts that offset the ability to stack many missions targeting the same enemy faction, for instance) but before any of that can be honed in on, the mission system structure itself needs to be fixed. I believe that the relatively simple changes I've listed to the board structure above would largely eliminate all of the problems with the mission system that players have been board flipping to overcome. These changes also provide a more solid foundation for any future expansions of the mission system and make more sense from an immersion and "narrative" standpoint.

If you've gotten this far, I thank you for reading, and look forward to any discussion and feedback the community might offer.

Quite a block of text.

Couple of quick comments.

1) The mission system is ill conceived, and does not scale well with player experience or ship play capacity.

2) All types of missions should be available at every station, with scaling based on player experience and ship capacity. (Systems with a population of a BILLION should not offer 3 mission types).

3) Bonuses, incentives, access to unique missions should be revealed as relationships with a specific mission broker are improved through completed missions.

4) The BGS should affect mission payouts, NOT restrict access to missions.

5) None of these concepts will ever be implemented because it does not into FDEV's concept of fun and accessibility. You know, if it's fun and accessible, FDEV doesn't like it.

Quite a block of text.

Couple of quick comments.

1) The mission system is ill conceived, and does not scale well with player experience or ship play capacity.

2) All types of missions should be available at every station, with scaling based on player experience and ship capacity. (Systems with a population of a BILLION should not offer 3 mission types).

3) Bonuses, incentives, access to unique missions should be revealed as relationships with a specific mission broker are improved through completed missions.

4) The BGS should affect mission payouts, NOT restrict access to missions.

5) None of these concepts will ever be implemented because it does not into FDEV's concept of fun and accessibility. You know, if it's fun and accessible, FDEV doesn't like it.

Yeah, apologies for the massive wall of info. I tend to prefer clarity and detail over brevity when understanding is absolutely required.

I think the mission board changes I suggested here certainly fix your first 2 comments for nearly all stations. Now, I DO want there to be a certain degree of common-sense "narrative" themeing for missions... essentially that available missions make sense for the system, station, and factions offering them. For instance, it doesn't make much sense for normal, law-abiding factions to offer extensive illicit activity missions, or for there to be a lot of combat missions on a mining station. So I imagine certain stations will have a much higher concentration of certain mission types over others. Aside from that, certainly, ALL mission types should be represented to some extent, and I think the suggestions I've made would allow that to happen AND for those missions to scale well to player ability and equipment.

I do also agree overall with your remaining points... in terms your minor faction reputation level, the number and type of missions you have access to should never be affected by your reputation level with a faction. This really isn't hard to do once you have a more standardized mission system like I've suggested. There are easy solutions to this, of course... such as having each mission given by a faction have a base level of reward, with a reputation bonus that scales with your affinity with that organization. I do also think that higher reputation levels should lead to better follow-up missions. There should be tangible rewards for getting in good with a faction.

But perhaps the opposite should also be true... perhaps as balance, getting too high a reputation with one faction should lower your reputation with others. I find it odd that you can develop a strong positive relationship with two factions who are at war with each other while completing missions for both that significantly harm the other. Perhaps you should have to choose who to focus your support on in a system, and be rewarded heavily for that support in the way of affinity bonuses?

Yeah, apologies for the massive wall of info. I tend to prefer clarity and detail over brevity when understanding is absolutely required.

I think the mission board changes I suggested here certainly fix your first 2 comments for nearly all stations. Now, I DO want there to be a certain degree of common-sense "narrative" themeing for missions... essentially that available missions make sense for the system, station, and factions offering them. For instance, it doesn't make much sense for normal, law-abiding factions to offer extensive illicit activity missions, or for there to be a lot of combat missions on a mining station. So I imagine certain stations will have a much higher concentration of certain mission types over others. Aside from that, certainly, ALL mission types should be represented to some extent, and I think the suggestions I've made would allow that to happen AND for those missions to scale well to player ability and equipment.

I do also agree overall with your remaining points... in terms your minor faction reputation level, the number and type of missions you have access to should never be affected by your reputation level with a faction. This really isn't hard to do once you have a more standardized mission system like I've suggested. There are easy solutions to this, of course... such as having each mission given by a faction have a base level of reward, with a reputation bonus that scales with your affinity with that organization. I do also think that higher reputation levels should lead to better follow-up missions. There should be tangible rewards for getting in good with a faction.

But perhaps the opposite should also be true... perhaps as balance, getting too high a reputation with one faction should lower your reputation with others. I find it odd that you can develop a strong positive relationship with two factions who are at war with each other while completing missions for both that significantly harm the other. Perhaps you should have to choose who to focus your support on in a system, and be rewarded heavily for that support in the way of affinity bonuses?

Even the most polished democratic factions will still contract assassinations and thefts, and they will certainly go to war.

Perhaps I should clarify a tad.

The mission contractors that offer missions should NOT work for a single faction . This guy is the assassination broker, that guy is the commerce broker. You can choose to perform assassinations for a single faction if you want to BGS, otherwise you are truly a gun for hire. Same goes for hauling and stealing. It should be focused on career paths with the OPTION to BGS. The BGS crushes options for players and makes the game inaccessible.

Even the most polished democratic factions will still contract assassinations and thefts, and they will certainly go to war.

Perhaps I should clarify a tad.

The mission contractors that offer missions should NOT work for a single faction . This guy is the assassination broker, that guy is the commerce broker. You can choose to perform assassinations for a single faction if you want to BGS, otherwise you are truly a gun for hire. Same goes for hauling and stealing. It should be focused on career paths with the OPTION to BGS. The BGS crushes options for players and makes the game inaccessible.

To this I agree. This is why I had suggested taking many of the mission types and aligning them with primary contacts instead of minor factions. You want to engage in anti-piracy missions, you'll find those at the authority contact. Smuggle missions? Black Market. Explorations missions? Universal Cartographics. The missions within could either be offered as contracts for the minor factions, handled by the appropriate "broker" (as you say, I like the word), or simply have the reputation and influence changes shown in the contract itself (this mission +++ rep, Sol Workers' Party, etc).

I'm with you that this should feel more like a CAREER choice rather than a random selection of missions. Certainly the BGS should play into that... you should be able to figure out how your selection of missions influences your greater outcome... but that shouldn't be the whole point of the game... to play the BGS.

What I'd be hoping for, ultimately, is that moving where you get your missions from, and how picking up those missions works, would lend itself to feeling more like you're role-playing a character. Your bounty hunter rolls into a system that's having a bit of a lawless streak, strolls into the authority office of the busiest starport, and checks the bulletins to see who's on the most wanted list. You pick a target that's at your skill level and worth your time, and you're on your way. So on and so forth.

I've recently discovered that Frontier is looking at making changes to the server system in order to prevent board flipping. For those that may be unfamiliar, "board flipping" is a means to refresh the mission board of a station by logging out of the current play session, and logging back in to a different play type (open to solo or reverse) in order to get a new set of missions. Many players use this tactic to better optimize their play time by allowing them the opportunity to find and accept missions that better fit their play interests at that time... whether that is to stack many missions of the same type, or to find specific mission types that cater to their current setup (finding that hauling mission in a sea of combat ones), or to locate that elusive faction rank-up mission.

From what I understand, Frontier is looking at moving the mission board to a different server system, which would result in the significant reduction or outright elimination of the ability to board flip to refresh the missions available on the mission board. The devs, rightly so, see board flipping as an exploit used by players to circumvent the normal operation of the mission board system. What the devs fail to do, in both removing the option to board flip and in the back-handed increase of credit rewards by a paltry 10% to "compensate" players for the removal of this option, is address the reasons players will utilize the ability to refresh the mission board in the first place... namely the desire on the part of all players to quickly find the mission types and rewards they're looking for.

Of all of the core game systems in Elite Dangerous, the mission board system is perhaps one of the most important in terms of player progression and experience, and yet is also perhaps the most broken. To put it bluntly, the system simply does not work, and never has. Rather than address the reason players go out of their way to circumvent such an essential gameplay system, the devs are merely taking action to remove the method of circumvention.

Here below, I hope to outline some changes I think may help with fixing the core problems of the mission system - such that players will be able to find the types of missions and rewards they're looking for. I welcome other ideas to be added, and feedback on the ideas contained herein. Having not done much research on the general discussion of the community regarding the mission system, I do not know if any of these ideas has been previously discussed. So, if I'm expressing an idea that's already been forwarded by other community members, I apologize.

First, the mission system should be adaptable and allow for mission "refreshing" on the fly, as the player would be able to hone mission choices to their specific desires. If a player is looking to haul cargo, he should be able to find a larger variety of cargo missions. If a player is looking to hunt pirates, he should be able to find a large variety of those mission types. To effectively do this, first and foremost it may be necessary to break up the mission systems to place certain types of missions within access systems that make more sense. Certainly a large central board for all mission types is problematic for obvious reasons... most notably in that there's little control by the player as to what sorts of missions fill up that central board. By better breaking up the board... either by better partitioning mission types within that board, or relocating certain types of missions to new distributed boards, it allows for both increased player choice and significantly less clutter and overlap with non-desired missions.

For instance, I can see two basic methodologies here. First, breaking up the mission board to include combat, exploration, and trading mission sub-types - either as categories underneath each minor faction's mission list (Sol Workers' Party --> Combat Missions) or as a header under which minor factions present their missions (Combat Missions --> Sol Workers' Party). This allows us to retain one central board for missions, but then breaks up those missions into readily identifiable categories that ensure that a variety of missions in each type are available (rather than say, 20 combat missions and 1 trade mission, the board could display a handful of missions in each main archetype for each minor faction).

A better way, and more compelling and immersive for the player, is to place certain mission types within their various appropriate "contact" types. If a player wants to hunt bounties or find pirate assassination missions, perhaps he could find those under the Authorities contact. If a player wants to explore, perhaps he could find missions under the Universal Cartographics contact (the player could find missions to go to specific, largely uncharted star systems and do detailed surface scans of all planetary bodies for a large payout, just for instance). If a player wants to engage in some hauling, he could head to a Cargo (shipping, transport, etc) contact. If a player wishes to get into some smuggling or other illicit activities, he can go to the Black Market contact. If a player wants to transport passengers, he still goes to the Passenger depot.

To accomplish this, many of the existing contact types will be moved into main station menu categories much like Universal Cartographics and the Passenger Depot already are. From there, each main category will have its selection of missions as well as the station services normally associated with those sections... Players can sell exploration data at UC or pick up new explorations missions. Players can pay fines and clear bounties at an Authority contact, or turn in their own collected bounties and pick up new "wanted" missions. And so on. This allows us to have, rather than 20 total missions for a minor faction spread across all mission types at random, perhaps 10 or so missions of a given category for each minor faction in each of the more specific mission boards. This would allow for both more missions in total, as well as guarantee more mission variety. It also makes a bit more sense "narratively," as you'd expect a station's authority network to handle missions pertinent to system security, the exploration network to handle exploration missions, etc.

The next major change we have to look at for mission adaptability is to allow players to tailor the scale of missions to their needs as a way to eliminate the need to have repetitive mission goals listed as seperate missions on the mission board and to allow missions to conform to the level of the player and his equipment. It does the player little good to have 10 missions spawn for a minor faction asking a commander to kill a small number of an enemy faction's ships. Or to have several missions that want to deliver a small number of cargo items to the same port. Moreover, it does us no good to present the player with a dozen missions which require higher cargo capacity than they have, or those that would barely put a dent in their cargo hold. With the introduction of mission mechanics with the wing system, basically allowing players the ability to tackle a small part of a mission's greater whole, there is little reason that a degree of scaleability cannot be added to single-player missions that have open-ended goals.

As an example... Why set up a mission goal to deliver 17 appliances for a total of 230,000cr to a specific station? Are we saying that this faction only has produced 17 tons of appliances that it wants to ship? That it wouldn't ship more if that option was available? Instead, set the mission up to deliver appliances at a set amount per unit shipped (14,000cr per ton of appliance, for instance), and let the player determine how many he wishes to haul. This solves several problems. First, it reduces mission board clutter by establishing that a minor faction needs only a single mission to haul cargo to a given ending starport. This frees the game up to produce a wider variety of end destinations without repetitiveness. Next it solves the problem of having mission types that scale with the player. A new player could use his freshly purchased Hauler to drag 8 tons of appliances to their destination. An Anaconda pilot could do the same for 360 tons of appliances. The rewards each would receive would scale appropriately for each pilot... the newbie Hauler making the 112,000cr he'd expect to make, while the veteran Anaconda pilot would rake in 5,040,000cr... finally a worthy sum for a pilot that has grinded his way to the largest ships in the game.

This sense of scaleability and player agency can be extended to other mission types. Mining... why limit myself to 30 units of a mineral if I could easily handle more? Bounty/assassination missions... allow the player to choose the intensity of the mission engagement he wants to hunt for, giving him the option to choose to hunt down small time criminals or dangerous brigands. Exploration... allow the player to choose if he wants to fill in some less travelled corners of the bubble, or if he wants to cross vast distances of unexplored space to bring back data on a potential new Earth-like. The possibilities here to add scaleability while reducing board clutter and increasing variety are significant.

Moreover, this works to the heart of the board flipping problem... the chances of a player finding exactly the sort of mission he'd want to play would be much higher, as the variety of missions available to him would be greatly expanded... and it eliminates the need to mission stack, as scaling missions let the player bite off EXACTLY the amount they can chew with a single mission pick.

But if the player STILL can't find a mission there that's EXACTLY what he'd want, what's the harm in allowing him to refresh the board manually? Given the changes we'd be implementing here, there'd be no need to refresh the board to stack missions, since those would now scale. A board refresh would only need to occur for the sake of finding new destinations for mission end points, etc. Or perhaps even allow the player to set some of the mission parameters himself. A player could perhaps choose a shipping destination he'd like to haul to from a pre-determined group that a particular station would ship to, and could receive a payout commiserate with shipping to that location. Haul cargo to port X and receive 12,000cr per unit, but haul to port Y and receive 15,000cr per unit. Just for the sake of example.

Of course, I have a number of ideas regarding how to restructure or tune the many varieties of mission we can pick up as players to better suit individual player choice and streamline or optimize the experience. For instance, I've thought of maybe having 2 varieties of hauling missions... standard and express. "Standard" missions would point you to nearby logistics hub stations that serve as nodes for the larger distribution network. These missions would be quick and painless - not terribly dangerous and extremely predictable low-risk missions good for back and forth bulk hauling. They could be accomplished quickly and have relatively low payouts as a result. And then there's "Express" missions, where players would be tasked with more long-distance hauling to more remote locations off the beaten path - more dangerous and less predictable with longer durations for bigger payouts. Maybe even a "Hazardous" hauling mission type, where the risks are high and the rewards massive.

There are other changes to other mission types as well, (milestone bonuses for enemy threat removal combat missions that pay out increasingly higher rewards for larger accumulated kill counts that offset the ability to stack many missions targeting the same enemy faction, for instance) but before any of that can be honed in on, the mission system structure itself needs to be fixed. I believe that the relatively simple changes I've listed to the board structure above would largely eliminate all of the problems with the mission system that players have been board flipping to overcome. These changes also provide a more solid foundation for any future expansions of the mission system and make more sense from an immersion and "narrative" standpoint.

If you've gotten this far, I thank you for reading, and look forward to any discussion and feedback the community might offer.

I 100% agree with this and the further suggestions by Commander Danicus. Really well thought out, sensible to implement, would be a great improvement. I really hope FD see this and realise how good the game could be with this.

I 100% agree with this and the further suggestions by Commander Danicus. Really well thought out, sensible to implement, would be a great improvement. I really hope FD see this and realise how good the game could be with this.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kinda disappointed we cant get more discussion on this. Board flipping as a symptom of the terrible mission system has been a problem for years... And up until now the devs have taken darn near every action they could to prevent players from being able to get the most out a functional mission system short of 1) the nuclear option on board flipping, or 2) actually building a working mission system.

Now that the nuclear option on board flipping is being used, I'm hoping its time to look at actually fixing missions.

I totally support what is said in this post
Thank you.

Ive begun to see a lot of posts and vids from many of the influential people in the community regarsing the devs' proposed board server switch, and basically all of them say the same thing...

"Board flipping sucks, yeah. But fix the mission system too, or else removing board flipping will just make things worse."

I think the restructuring Ive suggested establishes a solid foundation on which many of the other mission problems (difficulty, scaleability, payouts) can be solved too.

The more I think about it, the more I'm confident that this is the direction we need to go.

Yep, the new system doesn't look like it will fix things.

Personally I would board flip because I want a certain type of mission, not to (generally) stack them. Additionally I fly small/medium ships (this is a choice, as a triple-Elite billionaire I do own every large ship), so again the board system breaks down when it tries to generate missions on the assumption one is in a large ship.

So preferred solutions would be to swap things about, and instead of the mission generator saying "I have these, take it or leave it", you would essentially post "I have this sort of ship, and don't mind this level of risk": and it then gives you the responses of matching you to suitable employers.
Now this may not be exactly what you want (eg: a high sec, agri, boom system may have no combat missions to kill pirates), but would broadly be more what the player desires, and not 80 missions of no interest at all.

TBH I think the board was better way back, when missions were rank locked (ie: back when if you were say master combat rank, you could not even accept dangerous+ missions at all).
If FDev want a quick fix, just dig out that old code, and increase the total amount of missions created: which was the main problem back then. If it doesn't work out, at least they've bought some time until the next patch to try something different.

Yeah the mission system needs overhaul or at least tweaking, to accomodate Playstyle and Ship size. In addition it should make more use of Reputation. I've made a suggestion, that tries to fix these issues by decoupling generation parameters(like size & type) from a CMDRs Rank + Reputation and MF State and rather use System and MF parameters(Population & Influence), so that CMDRs get a reliable way to search for stations/boards, that cater to their need.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ed-servers-FDev-for-an-Mission-Board-Overhaul!

Yeah the mission system needs overhaul or at least tweaking, to accomodate Playstyle and Ship size. In addition it should make more use of Reputation. I've made a suggestion, that tries to fix these issues by decoupling generation parameters(like size & type) from a CMDRs Rank + Reputation and MF State and rather use System and MF parameters(Population & Influence), so that CMDRs get a reliable way to search for stations/boards, that cater to their need.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ed-servers-FDev-for-an-Mission-Board-Overhaul!

I think that de-centralizing the mission system as ive suggested goes a long way to allowing players to hunt down missions that reflect the style of play they want to engage in. If you want to haul cargo, seeing a board full of assassination and mining missions doesnt do you any good.

By moving different mission categories into their own boards, you fix many of the problems that FDev is trying to solve by moving missions into their own server (speed and ease of mission generation) while also producing a system with several independent mission boards which can each have the same rough total as a coalesced board, but with each board dedicat3d to missions that support a specific type of play.

Instead of 20 randomly generated missions of every sort on one board... And hoping you find that perfect hauling mission... You just go to a transportation and logistics board and choose from among the 20 hauling missions there.

And with the simplified "take what you can carry" mission tuning I suggested, you wouldnt need repeat missions with the same parameters cluttering up the board, which allows for better variety and scalability.

Scalability is a major selling point of the systems tuning Ive tried to outline... Having missions adapt to your skill level, rating, or equipment means easier mission generation and better variety without clutter. It also means its jhst straight up easier to locate a mission that works for YOU. Which is kinda thw whole point.

What we do inside that frame work to determine what parameters are used to help generate missions is totally open. It doesnt really affect the foundation of the systems ive laid out. Which is another bonus I suppose.

IF Frontier follows future plans the mission boards will go through a MASSIVE redesign if internal station design is changed.

Don't jump on me, this is a example. In the game Privateer 2: The Darkening, (Origin Systems) when you arrived at a base/station and could then go to a 'mission' room and walk over and interact with the limited missions offered. You could still get some while in the ship. I foresee then setting something like this because it was a BIG feature to be able to walk the station to the various doors that took you to the missions or people or desk. (yes, space legs) ... but as it has been done and in a much simpler way it isn't that hard to see it as the plan.

Now I bring this up because it would alter the mission tables and use. As an example... in ship "Here are missions we offer openly. You'll have to come see me in the office if you want more ... interesting missions." This COULD even open for pilots to see each other and you have to wait out in the hall for the pilot to get his missions or be reassigned to another mission controller for 'faction/company'"

It depends on future design and implementation, change game dynamic, alters how missions are found. Would even allow 'shady' mission dealers to pull you from the public terminals for 'untracked' missions

Elite and Real life…

Mission and cargo loading….
Is this just more button clicking or does this have any meaningful game play for players?
I understand players wanting and have requested loading of cargo, but is this the answer just another button to click to load and click to unload! Wouldn’t it be better to incorporate a different screen something to do with loading missions maybe, as just clicking a button seems just another lazy way of something been added with no meaningful immersion.

Ranking up…
I have no idea if there are still no fix for the ranking up missions that were available at intervals of missions, all I know is that after two straight days of playing at nothing more than trying to ranking up 4 places it is the most endless grind I have done to date, and I have allied rep 100% and still no ranking missions, I guess frontier want us to grind for longer then.

NPC traffic…
Is it me or has npc traffic got some what quitter these last months, like the above I have been playing for two straight days in the bubble SOL infact and each station I come across regardless of boom status I barely see anything except for the security forces around the station. Has NPC generation been nerfed, if so frontier WHAT THE…. And why!!!!!!!!

In Flight Endurance…
During lets say long space hauls though to me 10-15 minutes between stations is enduring enough is this really immersive gameplay, watching your screen for this amount of time and some cases a lot longer, This is not gameplay, So why not give us something to do, For example…

What to do on long hauls flight & improvements…
Either..
Let players have FSD that take us to planets and not just stars of that system, we can still be enough distance away for all the interdiction monkey plays, but would reduce the boring eat a sandwich while waiting to get to your destination, it’s not enjoyable and it certainly is not gameplay immersive.

2nd Speed up Super cruise to half the time and in flight time simply matter really. And yes you can still get interdicted, so relax.
3rd Give us something to do on long in flights, give us tours around our ships, you have the internal decoration we have seen them we have the avatars already, so let us walk around our ship make some mechanics for us to do while in these long eat your sandwich flights, have a warning sound when we are getting close to your planet or station, or maybe have auto system that slows us down ready for the final flight arrival, or even have an action that will pop us back in our chair, anything to give us gameplay and not just watch a screen for 15 minutes.

Galaxy map…
The map is getting very crowded these days so many spots and lines and with trying to click on the system you want and having the text from another system pop in the way is quite the mess.
Why not work on the galaxy map more filters better layouts, trade hot spots, megaship finds, information that will help us plot and plan, instead of a spotted of mess, perhaps give the map something better to look at coloured systems to break up the random sots would be good.
These are just a few of the random every day real life elite game plays that go on right now.
It does not feel like a game any more esp: after playing since beta release, the shire amount of ours needed to achieve anything realistic far out ways your own real life at times.

Here's my .02 credits on this whole mess as to how to fix the mission boards:

#1: Quantity. When you have half a dozen factions or more, and a millions of people on a single station? There should be (brace yourselves here) HUNDREDS of missions constantly being updated. HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS.
#2: Sanity: We need filters - we already have one for Combat/Transport - Legal/Illegal, but we need even more specific mission filters. Things such as:

Combat:
Pirates
Skimmers
War Zones

Transport:
Source/Return
Hauling
Courier

Passengers:
Exploration/Surveys
Refugees
Business
Celebrities

And let's talk about a critical filter needed for the new system recommended: Destination.

We need a filter that we can say, "Okay, I'm wanting to run cargo/passengers/fight from here to system X - bring up all missions with these filtered items"

#3: On top of all that, REMOVE THE MISSION STACK CAP.

This is ridiculous and inhibits immersion. A perfect example is a damaged station and the multiple rescue missions available as well as the collection of escape pods, etc.

Why *wouldn't* I pick up every mission I can on the rescue ship to load up with items, go down in my Anaconda, launch my (minions) limpets and have them gather up everything possible before the heat levels get to be too much or I run out of limpets...THEN land and load up as many passengers as my ship can hold before I leave.

What sick individual would go, "Hey sorry...I know I have room for 30 more people, but you know...I'm out of mission space...hope you don't get burned alive before I return! Good luck all!" and fly off.

Bottom line is, FDEV is "worried" about people making money "too fast" which is ridiculous, because by the time you've been able to outfit a large ship where having a pile of missions is a requirement, you've pretty much "gotten good" and have a pile of money to begin with. The only thing that's happening for players at that level is buying new ships "just because" and having more fun in the game. Prior to that, the grind is actually highly appropriate and gives players a chance to learn all aspects of the game and "git gud" as many like to say.

Restricting the paydays because they think it somehow makes the game more challenging is where they fall short on their critical thinking - it does not make it harder, it makes it take longer. And as someone who's done beta testing for gaming companies, it's one of the biggest mistakes big companies do when they get burned out on coming up with new ideas - they figure that if they make the grind longer, slower and more painful to the player, somehow this will "engage and entertain" the player long enough for them to come up with the Next Great Idea(tm) to draw in new players, get an expansion out for more money or whatever.

It's a bad business model and I can point out a few MMORPGs that pretty much don't exist anymore because of it.

tl:dr: IMPROVE THE BLOODY MISSION BOARDS, DON'T "FIX" THEM!

Top Bottom