Newcomer / Intro Advice on my core mining Python please

I've only been playing about 3 weeks, and discovered the joys of core mining a few days ago, so forgive my ignorance.

I started core mining in a Krait Mk2, but decided to upgrade to a Python for the extra large slot. I'm fairly happy with the build, and I'm (so far) totally over PvE and space truckin' missions, so I'll be core mining for quite a while I imagine.

My question really relates to the 2 turreted beam lasers, which I'm fairly convinced were a mistake. I've been working with a 100% frag cannon build on my Krait for PvE combat, which has worked out fine, but I'm wondering what you'd throw in place of the beam lasers for dealing with pirates while I'm mining/bored.

I should also point out that I'm only playing Solo at the moment. If I want to be ganked on a regular basis, I have WoW to fall back on.

Here's the build: The Fissure King

Thanks.

If you're dead set on that Python, I'd drop one of your seismic launchers so you have three large weapons available. I fail to see the point having two. Then, if you want to stick with ammo-less weapons, I'd use three pulse - I assume you're using turrets so you can carry on mining? If you're going to kill them after finishing an asteroid, or between asteroids, then I'd load up on gimballed MCs - Overcharged, Incendiary/Corrosive. If you really want to have fun killing the pirates, then switch back to your Krait, leave the ship in the hands of a crewman, and kill them with an SLF (maybe leave three turreted weapons on your mothership to help out).

Here's my mining Krait, with just as much storage (faster, more hull, more shield, fighter bay), but less limpet power. https://s.orbis.zone/5-_1

If you're dead set on that Python, I'd drop one of your seismic launchers so you have three large weapons available. I fail to see the point having two. Then, if you want to stick with ammo-less weapons, I'd use three pulse - I assume you're using turrets so you can carry on mining? If you're going to kill them after finishing an asteroid, or between asteroids, then I'd load up on gimballed MCs - Overcharged, Incendiary/Corrosive. If you really want to have fun killing the pirates, then switch back to your Krait, leave the ship in the hands of a crewman, and kill them with an SLF (maybe leave three turreted weapons on your mothership to help out).

Here's my mining Krait, with just as much storage (faster, more hull, more shield, fighter bay), but less limpet power. https://s.orbis.zone/5-_1
The only reason I know for two seismic launchers is to double the ammunition available for mining, switch one off mine until the other is out of ammo then swap over.

Not something I’d bother with myself but it would make sense if you wanted to fill a big ship.

Why do you want to fight the pirates? You have nothing to gain from it and everything to lose. That Python just isn't strong enough to deal with many of the pirates anyway.

You sometimes run out of ammo using a single seismic charge launcher with a Python, which is why you need two. Having two will be much more profitable than wasting your time fighting pirates.

Last edited:
The pirates you only have to worry about usually are when you first get to a mining site. They come in, sniff around, act indignant, then fly off. Also, they will appear if you log out and later log back in, or if you move from one mining site (via SuperCruise) to another. Other than that, you will get the normal interdiction attempts when you are heading in to sell your ore...But avoiding an NPC Interdiction is generally not a problem (especially for a Python) so I wouldn't worry about fighting them. Why take the chance on one of them getting in a lucky shot and you and your tons of very expensive ore becoming one with the Galaxy. My mining Python has no real weapons in it, only mining stuff.

When I get to a site, I watch the radar and see the 2 or 3 pips drop in, fly over, listen to them gripe about starving, then watch them fly away. If I have to leave the site or log off for some reason, then I will head in to sell my ore or will head to a close by station and land before I log out. But once I log back in, I will head to sell off what I have, restock limpets, and head back to the mine. Just keeps it easier for me in that I don't have to worry about the buggers showing back up to try and steal my ore....As I have none to steal.

Here is my core mining Python. I use one seismic launcher, never needed a second one. Also no real need for many collector limpets when collecting cores, theres only around 15-16 tops and it takes time to shoot them, so i prefer to have more cargo space.
Why turrets? Its a nimble ship, it kills everything with 3 gimballed beams. But, if you already have cores on your cargo bay i try to avoid fights by running, cause you might have limpets hacking your cargo door and cores flying in space. Also i rarely use anything but d rated sensors and life support, in the rare case of trouble if you need the life support time you can probably synth some until reaching a station.

Cheers lads. Yeah, when you're right, you're right. I've replaced the weaps with all mining gear to cover all eventualities.

I've just picked up a discounted Krait Mk2 so I can swap over all the A rated engineered bits if I want to go farm some engineer mats.

Someone will no doubt come along and tell me I'm playing the game "wrong", and I should concentrate on kitting out the Krait, but I'm happy with the variety at the moment, and have no particular wish to embark on a long grind.

I've also kitted out an Asp X, ready for my 5k trip to unlock whichever engineer requires it. One question about that...if he requires a trip of 5k away from my start point, but he's over 22k distant himself, why don't people just travel to him and kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Do you not need to actually visit him to get the blueprints?

Here is my core mining Python. I use one seismic launcher, never needed a second one. Also no real need for many collector limpets when collecting cores, theres only around 15-16 tops and it takes time to shoot them, so i prefer to have more cargo space.
Why turrets? Its a nimble ship, it kills everything with 3 gimballed beams. But, if you already have cores on your cargo bay i try to avoid fights by running, cause you might have limpets hacking your cargo door and cores flying in space. Also i rarely use anything but d rated sensors and life support, in the rare case of trouble if you need the life support time you can probably synth some until reaching a station.

Cheers mate, I may rework my Python once Idevelop a few core mining madskillz. At the moment, I'm throwing too many prospector limpets at useless lumps of rock, but I'm starting to recognise the right ones.

Snipped...
Someone will no doubt come along and tell me I'm playing the game "wrong", and I should concentrate on kitting out the Krait, but I'm happy with the variety at the moment, and have no particular wish to embark on a long grind.

I've also kitted out an Asp X, ready for my 5k trip to unlock whichever engineer requires it. One question about that...if he requires a trip of 5k away from my start point, but he's over 22k distant himself, why don't people just travel to him and kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Do you not need to actually visit him to get the blueprints?
Good for you...and don't worry about what people say your ship should be...I just paid 355 Million to buy and outfit an Anaconda that I use strictly for garbage collecting. That garbage being mats in Rez sites after I blow up pirates. It is actually kind of peaceful...Shoot pirates, make sure there are no canisters floating about that aren't on my "No Touchy!" list, launch limpets, open the cargo hatch, listen to the limpets go about their business, and when they are done, close the cargo door and go find someone else to shoot.

I think I am going to name it Salvage One in honor of the 1979 TV series of the same name..."Once upon a time, a junkman had a dream"

As for your second question, I would think that traveling to see "dude or dudette", who is 22k ly away would met the requirement. As to why people don't? I think the whole 22k LY thing might have something to do with it. 22,000 lys is 129,330,000,000,000,000 or 129 quadrillion miles...multiply that by 1.60934 for kilometers. Which is nothing to sneeze at.

My DBX will do 56 to 58 LY per jump (it's been a while since I flew the Walk-About), so that is approx. 392 jumps at 56 LY per jump as the crow flies. Maybe a couple more due to fueling requirements/blocked sectors/etc. I am sure that there is a Commander here who can give you definitive Yes or No on it, so hang on until one hops along.

Good luck and Fair Winds Commander! o7

Good for you...and don't worry about what people say your ship should be...I just paid 355 Million to buy and outfit an Anaconda that I use strictly for garbage collecting. That garbage being mats in Rez sites after I blow up pirates. It is actually kind of peaceful...Shoot pirates, make sure there are no canisters floating about that aren't on my "No Touchy!" list, launch limpets, open the cargo hatch, listen to the limpets go about their business, and when they are done, close the cargo door and go find someone else to shoot.

I think I am going to name it Salvage One in honor of the 1979 TV series of the same name..."Once upon a time, a junkman had a dream"

As for your second question, I would think that traveling to see "dude or dudette", who is 22k ly away would met the requirement. As to why people don't? I think the whole 22k LY thing might have something to do with it. 22,000 lys is 129,330,000,000,000,000 or 129 quadrillion miles...multiply that by 1.60934 for kilometers. Which is nothing to sneeze at.

My DBX will do 56 to 58 LY per jump (it's been a while since I flew the Walk-About), so that is approx. 392 jumps at 56 LY per jump as the crow flies. Maybe a couple more due to fueling requirements/blocked sectors/etc. I am sure that there is a Commander here who can give you definitive Yes or No on it, so hang on until one hops along.

Good luck and Fair Winds Commander! o7

Cheers bud'

I've just tried using my collection limpets in a cloud of scrap that just cough fell out of a destroyed ship officer, it wasn't me honest cough - but each one just collects a single object then dies, unlike when mining, where each one keeps returning for more objects until it expires. Is that normal?

Cheers bud'

I've just tried using my collection limpets in a cloud of scrap that just cough fell out of a destroyed ship officer, it wasn't me honest cough - but each one just collects a single object then dies, unlike when mining, where each one keeps returning for more objects until it expires. Is that normal?
Normal.
If you have something targeted when you launch a collector limpet it will switch to high power drive and collect that one item and dies.
If you don’t target anything then the collector limpet will select its endurance drive settings and will amble around collecting all valid targets in range until it runs out of juice.

I've been using a Python for core- and surface-mining for quite some time. I have to say that it works very nicely for me. As said, don't let anyone tell you that you're playing the wrong way - just have fun.

I haven't found the need for two seismic charge launchers. I can easily fill my 160t cargo space (and refinery for a bonus 8) with the ammo available in one. I can often crack cores with just 3 (or 2!) seismic charges. This means that I still have room for a single mining laser, a beam laser, and a multicannon - the lattter 2 of which I use to combat pirates when I want to have that fun.

The Python takes a bit of learning to become decent in combat, but I routinely knock out NPCs or - if it becomes clear that I can't - get away without much damage. I really like it.

Play your way. You're not really having fun if you're 'conforming' to someone else's definition of whatever.

Happy travels!

I've been using a Python for core- and surface-mining for quite some time. I have to say that it works very nicely for me. As said, don't let anyone tell you that you're playing the wrong way - just have fun.

I haven't found the need for two seismic charge launchers. I can easily fill my 160t cargo space (and refinery for a bonus 8) with the ammo available in one. I can often crack cores with just 3 (or 2!) seismic charges. This means that I still have room for a single mining laser, a beam laser, and a multicannon - the lattter 2 of which I use to combat pirates when I want to have that fun.

The Python takes a bit of learning to become decent in combat, but I routinely knock out NPCs or - if it becomes clear that I can't - get away without much damage. I really like it.

Play your way. You're not really having fun if you're 'conforming' to someone else's definition of whatever.

Happy travels!

Cheers mate, that's what I wanted to hear!

I've just gone back to using my Krait Mk2 for moning, and just pulled in 111 million when I turned up to sell my diamonds and found the price has gone up by 250k over EDDB (makes a change not to go DOWN by 500k!).

Now I've got just over 220 million, I'm tempted to buy an Anaconda and slowly pimp it. Nothing else I really want, I can have all the combat fun I want in my Krait, so I don't really fancy an FDL or Mamba.

Or maybe a Type-10 and cover it in turrets ;)

Top Bottom