Newcomer / Intro Advice on my core mining Python please

Cheers mate, that's what I wanted to hear!

I've just gone back to using my Krait Mk2 for moning, and just pulled in 111 million when I turned up to sell my diamonds and found the price has gone up by 250k over EDDB (makes a change not to go DOWN by 500k!).

Now I've got just over 220 million, I'm tempted to buy an Anaconda and slowly pimp it. Nothing else I really want, I can have all the combat fun I want in my Krait, so I don't really fancy an FDL or Mamba.

Or maybe a Type-10 and cover it in turrets ;)
I would suggest holding off on the Anaconda until you have more credits available, a good rule of thumb is to have 3 times the ships cost on hand so that you can upgrade enough essential components to make the ship safe to fly.

I would suggest holding off on the Anaconda until you have more credits available, a good rule of thumb is to have 3 times the ships cost on hand so that you can upgrade enough essential components to make the ship safe to fly.

Great advice, and gratefully received - unfortunately, completely wasted on an impatient and compulsive idiot like myself. So...I now have this:

The Fissure King Mk2

I've recycled a few components from my Krait Mk2, which currently work better than the larger, A-rated, replacements until I can farm a few more engineering mats. It's working really nice at the moment though (I play in Solo, don't forget, otherwise it's a complete and utter re-buy vampire). I like to think of it as my Swiss Army Knife (not the genuine version of course; more like a cheap Chinese knock-off Swiss Army Knife from a market stall).

It feels fine for core mining, and not at all unwieldy, even when maneuvering to blast surface deposits. It's also fine for hanging around nav beacons in Anarchy systems, so long as I pick my targets. It certainly shreds ships faster than my Krait did.

I've still got 280 million cr to spend on upgrades, so I just need to prioritise the modules I upgrade first and make sure I have enough mats to engineer them to a reasonable standard (I'm not fretting over grade 5 on every item to begin with, grade 3 seems to be a significant improvement).

Apologies for the docking computer. It's the only ship I have one on, and there's nothing more enjoyable than spinning your wheels on the way out of a station, but the Anaconda seems wider than the drummer's girlfriend, and I keep jamming it in the letterbox. I also tend to play ED with a guitar on my knee for the boring bits, so the less time I have to spend panicking about docking this barge, the better.

Anyroadup, many thanks for all the advice so far, the community seems infinitely more helpful and flame-free than most of the other games I play. It's great to see the evolution of this game from the very first release, which I bought for the Sinclair Spectrum back in 1984 (when I was 22...that's a depressing thought). It's just as addictive now as it was then.

Time will tell if it was a mistake buying this...

Great advice, and gratefully received - unfortunately, completely wasted on an impatient and compulsive idiot like myself. So...I now have this:

The Fissure King Mk2

I've recycled a few components from my Krait Mk2, which currently work better than the larger, A-rated, replacements until I can farm a few more engineering mats. It's working really nice at the moment though (I play in Solo, don't forget, otherwise it's a complete and utter re-buy vampire). I like to think of it as my Swiss Army Knife (not the genuine version of course; more like a cheap Chinese knock-off Swiss Army Knife from a market stall).

It feels fine for core mining, and not at all unwieldy, even when maneuvering to blast surface deposits. It's also fine for hanging around nav beacons in Anarchy systems, so long as I pick my targets. It certainly shreds ships faster than my Krait did.

I've still got 280 million cr to spend on upgrades, so I just need to prioritise the modules I upgrade first and make sure I have enough mats to engineer them to a reasonable standard (I'm not fretting over grade 5 on every item to begin with, grade 3 seems to be a significant improvement).

Apologies for the docking computer. It's the only ship I have one on, and there's nothing more enjoyable than spinning your wheels on the way out of a station, but the Anaconda seems wider than the drummer's girlfriend, and I keep jamming it in the letterbox. I also tend to play ED with a guitar on my knee for the boring bits, so the less time I have to spend panicking about docking this barge, the better.

Anyroadup, many thanks for all the advice so far, the community seems infinitely more helpful and flame-free than most of the other games I play. It's great to see the evolution of this game from the very first release, which I bought for the Sinclair Spectrum back in 1984 (when I was 22...that's a depressing thought). It's just as addictive now as it was then.

Time will tell if it was a mistake buying this...
Speaking of priorities
You should consider doing something like this to your power priorities if you haven’t already, with the priority 1 items using less than 40% you will be able to get to safety even if your power pack gets knocked down to 1%.

The issue with docking the Anaconda is not the width it’s the height there is a lot of ship underneath the cockpit, if it looks like you need to duck when going through the slot then you are positioned about right.

The Spectrum version was where I started but I was some years older back in 1985.

I used to have a Conda for core mining, then a T-10, a Cutter, a Krait Mk II and even a Mamba (just to see if I could), but I ended up using a Python. The most efficient way to blast the rocks is to orbit them using throttle and mostly down thrusters, combined with pitch, yaw and roll. I use down thrust "and then fill in the rest", if that makes any sense. For that the Python maneuvers "just right", whereas the bigger ships become too heavy in the long run.

If you have access to engineers (seems you do), engineer your thrusters. Next the power distributor. After that start looking at your mass. Thingies like sensors and limpet controllers can be slimmed down a lot, and that is almost as good for agility as more powerful thrusters.

As I see it, core mining, once everything else works, becomes a question of as many collector limpet controllers as possible. That saves time. I use a smaller shield, and no scoop. For the pirates I use a beam laser and missiles, just for fun. Remember that once a pirate ship blows up, it leaves materials floating in space that you can pick up and use at the engineers.

Haven't mined for a while, but typically the NpC pirates the game throws at you are matched to your ship and your skills, and you learn a lot about maneuvering your ship while mining, so don't be afraid of fighting back if someone wants your cargo. You might lose it from time to time, but that's the good thing about mining. You can always go back for more. Also, you can buy one ton of gold at a station, and cruise around waiting for pirates, to see if they are too hard to handle, so you don't lose 100+ tons of precious stuff.

Depending on how good you are at combat (I'm pretty lousy), there is almost no risk in trying to kill pirates that arrive when you arrive. That'll clear some space to work. If you get interdicted while going to sell a full cargo, you can consider not to accept the invitation (evade or run), but once you get even slightly decent at combat, it's not very "dangerous" to kill those pirates as well. Remember, it's free materials. :)

Incidentally, would you keep the 6C Bi-Weave, or swap it for a 7C and lose 64t of cargo? I've unlocked Elvira, so I can engineer it (I'm thinking Thermal with fast charge or hi-cap)

Incidentally, would you keep the 6C Bi-Weave, or swap it for a 7C and lose 64t of cargo? I've unlocked Elvira, so I can engineer it (I'm thinking Thermal with fast charge or hi-cap)
Yes.

It would depend on what I was planning on doing, hauling cargo I would fit the smallest shield combat the largest, so if you have the mats and the shield create both and store one for later use.

Haven't mined for a while, but typically the NpC pirates the game throws at you are matched to your ship and your skills, and you learn a lot about maneuvering your ship

Also, you can buy one ton of gold at a station, and cruise around waiting for pirates

I consider this to be really excellent advice. I've been recommending these things too. The patience to learn how your vessel handles will pay off immensely in terms of confidence, success, knowing when to fight/skoot, having fun, etc.

If you're worried about the "bait cargo" thing mentioned, start doing this in High-Security systems. If you get interdicted, help will show up almost instantly (local security forces). In Medium-Security systems, they show up a little more slowly. This means that you can even feel out formidable NPC ships in a combat/self defense scenario. I have learned to pretty routinely eliminate NPCs that out-class my ship and now that I'm dabbling in engineering mods, this will become more the case.

Cheers!

I consider this to be really excellent advice. I've been recommending these things too. The patience to learn how your vessel handles will pay off immensely in terms of confidence, success, knowing when to fight/skoot, having fun, etc.

If you're worried about the "bait cargo" thing mentioned, start doing this in High-Security systems. If you get interdicted, help will show up almost instantly (local security forces). In Medium-Security systems, they show up a little more slowly. This means that you can even feel out formidable NPC ships in a combat/self defense scenario. I have learned to pretty routinely eliminate NPCs that out-class my ship and now that I'm dabbling in engineering mods, this will become more the case.

Cheers!

Cheers mate. Keep the good advice coming lads!

Top Bottom