COMPLETED CG Aegis Appeal for Titan Tissue Samples

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
To make it a little more interesting, I try out various ships, including the Dolphin with which I successfully completed the last two visits to the Maelstrom. I have one class 5 and 6 CRCR, so it's easier to put together a good build. I would like to use iCourier, but cargo space is too limited.
This CG would be really interesting if Fdev offer collecting Titan surface materials, beside tissue samples, because it doesn't require cargo space nor limpets. And for rewards - class 5 and 6 CRCR for top 50%, and full engineered ships optimized and equipped for Maelstrom, for top 10% of players.

Last edited:
Fdev have seriously over estimated this one
LOL just try in open and its just insane, all cmdr's - or at least the 200 odd cmdrs who bothered to signe up - compressed into a small set of 8 maelstroms and every possible thargoid has been deployed to kill them with each new cmdr arriving triggering even more, Swarms, Hunters, Cyclops, Scouts not to mention the Titans own cannon defences.

I doubt Fdev have even bothered to mock up the skins let alone make them, this is a hard pass from someone who has tissue samples from last week. EDIT and ill keep them for the future unlocks that will be required.

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
I doubt Fdev have even bothered to mock up the skins let alone make them, this is a hard pass from someone who has tissue samples from last week. EDIT and ill keep them for the future unlocks that will be required.
Did you try clicking the spoiler in the OP? You can see all the skins there. Same with the other CG. They definitely exist!

LOL just try in open and its just insane, all cmdr's - or at least the 200 odd cmdrs who bothered to signe up - compressed into a small set of 8 maelstroms and every possible thargoid has been deployed to kill them with each new cmdr arriving triggering even more, Swarms, Hunters, Cyclops, Scouts not to mention the Titans own cannon defences.
So, as long as you personally don't trigger the titan, it won't attack you.

And the great part of where I live: I rarely instance with anyone :D

Weekend and still only a little over 200 participants on this one and a little over 100 on the other. I hope FDEV is finally taking a clue from this how they're currently developing the game for a tiny minority, alienating everyone else.
I see what you're saying, but I don't really agree with it. Rather, the low turnout (IMO) is because people have a an expectation developed (by FD) to expect CGs that are just one-step processes like "trade items" or "bounty hunt" and nothing more involved.

But to further put this in context, a normal CG is lucky to net, what, 2000? 3000? participants? For a game that's shipped 1.4 million copies? It sounds like CGs were already alienating people, and the difference between 200 and 2000 is proverbial in the river.

tl;dr I personally put it down to the fact that it's simply "something different to the norm"

Last edited:
It's still advancing at a glacial pace, but the grind to unlock everything is piling up and that'll definitely hurt the number of participants -- it might be worth setting up an initiative to hand out people 2 units of samples so they can participate in the CGs to drive up numbers so more people get the skins.
My alt account has now contributed a single sample to both CGs to help more people get the rewards

CG looks like it will be successful on the Saturday, and won't finish early and annoy ppl (y)

1687004669366.png

I see what you're saying, but I don't really agree with it. Rather, the low turnout (IMO) is because people have a an expectation developed (by FD) to expect CGs that are just one-step processes like "trade items" or "bounty hunt" and nothing more involved.

But to further put this in context, a normal CG is lucky to net, what, 2000? 3000? participants? For a game that's shipped 1.4 million copies? It sounds like CGs were already alienating people, and the difference between 200 and 2000 is proverbial in the river.

tl;dr I personally put it down to the fact that it's simply "something different to the norm"
1.4 million copies yes, but those left that are actually still playing is a fraction of that. CG participations used to be much much higher, 2000-3000 would have been considered low.

1.4 million copies yes, but those left that are actually still playing is a fraction of that. CG participations used to be much much higher, 2000-3000 would have been considered low.
Mhmm... but have a think about why that might have been the case. It certainly wasn't for the activity. The main factors for CGs getting high numbers back in those days were really:
  • FD still accepted player-submitted CGs, so really that support would've come from popular support rather than activity interest; and
  • Several CGs were to support "fan favourite" end goals such as station construction and colonisation of new systems.

But regardless, I stick by my original commentary a few posts back; the overall CG concept is tired, old and not well suited to this sort of activity. It's a concept that hasn't changed in 8 years, and hasn't aged well either given the mechanics the game offers today.

EDIT: It's also unfair to compare the attendance of this CG to performance of CGs from 2016/2017, where attendees were in their 12,000s. If you do that, it's fair to say this would've been hitting a couple thousand or so attendees at the time, which was not unheard of for some CGs in the same time which were also just straightforward trade/combat CGs.

Last edited:
I have all I really need for the CG now, if anyone really wants some of those skins but doesn't have a build ready in time to get them yourself - send me a PM and I'll help you out.

EDIT: I'm going to have a hard time getting it done for everyone who has PM'ed me, so I'm sorry but I can't offer it to anyone else.

Last edited:
But regardless, I stick by my original commentary a few posts back; the overall CG concept is tired, old and not well suited to this sort of activity. It's a concept that hasn't changed in 8 years, and hasn't aged well either given the mechanics the game offers today.

Yes, this feels like something that should last for several weeks, perhaps with rewards being given out by number of samples returned rather than some competition percentage.

It probably doesn't help that this was a double-holiday weekend in the US (Father's Day Sunday, Juneteenth Monday). Maybe when I was a kid in the 80s that would have meant sequestering myself in front of a screen for three days, as an adult in the 2020s a three-day weekend in summer in which one of the days is a "family" holiday means very, very little playtime.

For me, it's now Monday, and I'm at a point where I'm just about ready to...start farming for the corrosive sinks. I did keep an unclassified relic in storage, so I can bypass that bit at least, but I'm barely going to be able to get to the point where I'm able to sample.

And that's if I decide to bother--I had been interested in going in and poking around at some point, but this super-compressed forced-march timeline honestly discourages me more than it encourages me. The paintjobs are fine, but there's not so spectacular that it really pushes FOMO for me.

o7 Cmdrs,

so I have a few questions. I have finally managed to get inside the Maelstrom and colleted 2 smaples and got blown up. :(

First, Ive learnd. Rather get something nimble, but theres no time anymore and used my anaconda. Ship is cold with 18 %

What is the best thing to do, when i get attacked from scouts or interceptors or Glaives?

Somehow the Titan got agressive. Proberbly because i touched it. Does it also get agressiv, when getting a sample from the research limpet?

Can you also restart, like collecting Relics?

And how do I get save out?

Any help would be great.

o7 Cmdrs

Last edited:
Does it also get agressiv, when getting a sample from the research limpet?

Can you also restart, like collecting Relics?

And how do I get save out?

It gets angry if you pop above 20% or look at it wrong. Bring beams with thermal vent, or heat sinks. If you have thermal vent beams, you can dump your heat into the Titan by just shooting at it. (Shooting makes it angry too).

Relog will boot you outside of the entire Maelstrom caustic cloud, makes leaving easy, but returning is the long way.

When pursued by Thargoids inside the Titans area, break line of sight. Use the Titan to try to break visual contact and constantly use the Thermal vents or heat sinks to dump your heat to stay under 20%.

Hope this helps.

Stay frosty, o7

It gets angry if you pop above 20% or look at it wrong. Bring beams with thermal vent, or heat sinks. If you have thermal vent beams, you can dump your heat into the Titan by just shooting at it. (Shooting makes it angry too).

Relog will boot you outside of the entire Maelstrom caustic cloud, makes leaving easy, but returning is the long way.

When pursued by Thargoids inside the Titans area, break line of sight. Use the Titan to try to break visual contact and constantly use the Thermal vents or heat sinks to dump your heat to stay under 20%.

Hope this helps.

Stay frosty, o7
Hey LiveWeyer,

thanks for to tips. It did help. I had already thermal vent beams on the anaconda, but this time I just shot them whenever I could. After my 3rd attempt, it worked out well and got 37 Titan samples. My second attempt after my first post I got blown up, not even getting through the pulse wave because of a very agressive interceptor. He like deleted me like nothing, although I am sitting on 3500 Armor. My Dirty drives Thruster he took first down. :/

But all in all I now first brought those 37 samples save back to my carrier.

o7 Cmdrs

Excellent, glad you were able
But all in all I now first brought those 37 samples save back to my carrier.

Excellent, glad you were able to get some!

Yeah, keeping the resting heat down is key.

Ideally throwing low emissions on your power plant, if you don't have it already, really helps. I typically like to also turn modules off that I'm not using just to help maintain lower power draws as well (like FSD).

Good luck on any future dives!
o7

I feel like the thargoid plot is advancing a bit quickly. A lot of players won't be in a situation to get into the maelstroms yet. Even getting a pickled guarlic to unlock the thing that you need to get through the thing is quite daunting to a lot of players. I'd be interested to see how many players engage with this CG.
I'm a fairly established player with some good ships, but I have not been up to speed with the Thargoid stuff apart from one free caustic sink launcher and one free Thargoid pulse neutraliser from CGs. Last week was the very first time I used a research limpet on anything, never mind a Thargoid. I like to use these little events to try something I have never done before, and very often I grow to actually like them.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom