Horizons AI is out of hand

So I've been playing for a good year now. Huge fan since 1984 on my Commodore 128. AI has been getting increasingly harder which is fine up to a point. Bounty Hunting is pretty much not lucrative anymore, since I am fighting Anacondas, Fed ships, Pythons and such .. its takes longer to rack up kills ... especially when their shields continue to recharge 3-5 times in a row up to 50% or so. Feds love to ram ... a lot. I found my self running a lot more especially if two decide to ambush me. Last night about 2 hours after the patch I played and was destroyed for a nice $14+ mil. With all the whining from people about how Fehu and Robigo and other places are cheats, money is taking longer to make ... $14 mil is a lot more of my time now and it really sucks. I have been very conservative to avoid bring shredded but last night, no matter how much I shredded the NPC, it obliterated me in a minute, I didn't even have a chance.

Not sure who FD is trying to please here, but I have to admit that I am on the verge on moving on. Old bugs have resurfaced, such as the sticky "Fire at will" which make it very annoying and more dangerous (hahaha) when fighting the super AI. When I started playing people were achieving elite status after 300-400 hours of play per track ... seems reasonable (I'm pretty sure it less before them). Its will take me about twice that from what I can tell. Elite is all about grinding and grinding mindlessly. With the super AI, its making it painful. Other post mention that newbies can barely survive, if they do. Again, not sure what FD is hoping to get from the super AI ... but I may have to move on and maybe comeback next year and see if things are better. It is simply not enjoyable to spends tens and hundreds of hours doing the same thing. I like the added complexity and community goals and challenges and such, but dragging stuff out endlessly is simply not fun. Without my loyalty from my childhood, I would have moved on a while ago and not even bothered communicating. I hope this reaches someone. As a fellow developer, I get the challenges and trying to make everyone happy ... impossible ... but we need better balance. I would not even consider inviting a new player into this, they would hate it ... early this year, I brought ya'll several customers that loved the game. Some left annoyed by the bugs and changes ... a few of us are still hoping for better. Please relax the AI ... find a different solution for those that want the difficulty ... offer "mission impossible" mission that kick their asses and make them happy. Ignore the whining about people having advantages ... make it fun again.

Last edited:
None so far. Haven't had the time to look into the Engineers piece. I've been trying to achieve Elite Trader.

You might need to look at your trade route (and try to stick to more secure systems?) maybe consider running shields if you don't already?

As many of us have pointed out and the AI programmer, Sarah, has pointed out, the AI can be better balanced. But this is a tired thread that to date still hasn't been properly dealt with. The only way is to just Engineer, or pick a new profession. Until then, arm with mines and run like hell. You'll get 9 out 10 while running and laying mines then you can High wake from the 10th.

You might need to look at your trade route (and try to stick to more secure systems?) maybe consider running shields if you don't already?

I run an Anaconda with pretty much A class everything. Standard armor though, but a few months ago it was sufficient. With the super villain NPCs its been not as good ... as others have pointed out, I am also running into Elites and others. I have lots of shielding and shield boosters as well. This hasn't been a new problem, it just seems to get worse. I have been adjusting trade routes as well. I also stopped taking missions to reduce the chances of encounters ... alas, here I am.

I run an Anaconda with pretty much A class everything. Standard armor though, but a few months ago it was sufficient. With the super villain NPCs its been not as good ... as others have pointed out, I am also running into Elites and others. I have lots of shielding and shield boosters as well. This hasn't been a new problem, it just seems to get worse. I have been adjusting trade routes as well. I also stopped taking missions to reduce the chances of encounters ... alas, here I am.

What are you doing as far as PIP management in these encounters? You don't seem to mention the most important factor in all of this. The T9/Anaconda/Cutter will have no issues against Elite NPC's as long as good shielding (minimum 500mj) and correct PIP management is used.

The AI has virtually gone back to being brain dead.

there are a couple of excellent videos on Youtube that can show you how to handle these... actually 777driver did at least one of them. have you tried using mines, if you run mines that will help a lot.

I'm playing for a while now but not so much recently. Still on my Cobra III with mostly A epuipment though. Combat ranking is Novice I think... I have to say, I am not a good fighter because I lack training, but I know the basics and usually was able to deal with people disturbing my supply run missions. I tried around lately and even the smallest NPC ships attacking me killed off my shield in no time. I didn't even have time to turn around and face it. Concerning Elite I may be a casual player, but there must be place for us. It's not that I am flying around in dangerous places. I didn't even enter conflict zones after the recent updates, just made a few standard missions. For me it feels like there is no moderate difficulty anymore.

Casual Player here.

The AI is mostly still stupid.
Not as stupid as 2.0. but it's quite stupid.

Very few ships, even Elites, are a challenge. The usual crew, Federal Drop/Gun/Assault ships are a pain. They were in 2.0. I just avoid them, because they take too long to kill. Lol
(I can get 150k for an Anaconda in less than 2 minutes, or 100k for a Fed Ship in over 3 minutes!)

The rest, including Elite Anacondas, are still really easy. Especially with the beefed up security forces.

I'm starting to think people are just pointing their ships are other ships, and holding the trigger until one of you explodes. Lol
That's pretty much the only time i get in trouble, is if I'm trying to drink a coffee, while in combat. Which happens alot. I love coffee.

Lol

Top Bottom