AI-Powered NPCs

I agree this would be cool, but you're going to have to wait for a next generation game to get next gen tech. Elite Dangerous is in its sunset years, so don't expect anything like this to be added to it. If there is ever a future version of Elite, then we might get something like AI powered NPCs, but probably not until the cost to run AI comes down.

What developers could do in the meantime is use AI to greatly accelerate the generation of NPC scripted dialog. A game like RDR2 has a crazy amount of dialog for almost every scenario, which makes it feel alive, even though all that dialog was written and voice-acted in advance. The amount of work to create all this dialog is monumental, which is why a small developer like Frontier can't match Bethesda or Rockstar when it comes to "living" NPCs using real voice actors reading countless hours of well-written scripts, but an AI might be able to do this in the fraction of the time with very little effort, hence the current writers and actors strike here in America. Using AI this way (once and done) would be way less expensive than supporting dynamic on-the-fly AI NPC interactions. Granted, the latter would be super cool, but I just don't think we are there yet.

I agree this would be cool, but you're going to have to wait for a next generation game to get next gen tech. Elite Dangerous is in its sunset years, so don't expect anything like this to be added to it. If there is ever a future version of Elite, then we might get something like AI powered NPCs, but probably not until the cost to run AI comes down.

What developers could do in the meantime is use AI to greatly accelerate the generation of NPC scripted dialog. A game like RDR2 has a crazy amount of dialog for almost every scenario, which makes it feel alive, even though all that dialog was written and voice-acted in advance. The amount of work to create all this dialog is monumental, which is why a small developer like Frontier can't match Bethesda or Rockstar when it comes to "living" NPCs using real voice actors reading countless hours of well-written scripts, but an AI might be able to do this in the fraction of the time with very little effort, hence the current writers and actors strike here in America. Using AI this way (once and done) would be way less expensive than supporting dynamic on-the-fly AI NPC interactions. Granted, the latter would be super cool, but I just don't think we are there yet.
Yeah, appreciating that part in my 1st playthrough right now. The variety in greetings alone is quite impressive.

Really not looking forward to a gaming future where writing, music, voice acting, textures, and levels will be devoid of any creativity in order to not pay developers.
There will probably always be an indie doing the opposite thing of mainstream. Just don't count on AAA - that is just all bling and less substance in general. There is a market for creativity and there are buyers.

There will probably always be an indie doing the opposite thing of mainstream.
Indies are the most likely to use it heavily as they're on tight budgets. It's quickly becoming mainstream for indie art but it's not often stated as gamers are currently reluctant to fund a creative apocalypse. Disfigure got caught up in that and has said they'll be removing the AI art, but the only reason anyone knew is because they had disclosed it elsewhere. Other indies are just hoping you don't notice.

Right now it's mainly art, but it will quickly replace most paid creative positions with their own work fed through a copyright-stripping machine.

Indies are the most likely to use it heavily as they're on tight budgets. It's quickly becoming mainstream for indie art but it's not often stated as gamers are currently reluctant to fund a creative apocalypse. Disfigure got caught up in that and has said they'll be removing the AI art, but the only reason anyone knew is because they had disclosed it elsewhere. Other indies are just hoping you don't notice.

Right now it's mainly art, but it will quickly replace most paid creative positions with their own work fed through a copyright-stripping machine.
We'll see a couple copyright disputes in the wake of automation, I'm sure.

ED needs something like OpenAI's GPT to make all the NPCs interactive.

If it's out in public, than it's safe to assume it has already been on platforms likes Reddit for years now. Perhapes the whole internet is already under AI generated content.
With DeepFake making headlines years ago, can not be sure what's real and what's fake on Internet anymore.

Top Bottom