Alarm while exiting station and speeding question

Hi all, sorry for the maybe silly question, but is it normal that everytime I exit a station with my Cobra or Type-6 there's a red light flashing and an alarm that sounds for 3 or 4 seconds? I think it is related with a possible impact. It happens only when exiting and I'm not doing anything strange nor I exit particularly close to the sides.

Another question that just came into mind: I noticed a "Speeding" sign appearing on the right of the hud when I'm outside some stations, should I slow down because there's a penalty or fine risk related to it?
Thanks for the answers commanders!

The fine is if you crash into things while speeding.

The warning is either if you're lingering in the mouth of the entrance, or red bleeping proximity sensors advising you are too close, which happen anywhere.

I also sometimes fly a little too close to landing pads not allocated to me, which also presents a beep.

Last edited:
Thanks Molotov, regarding the alarm, I thought about that too, maybe is the first one (lingering), because the alignment and the distance to the borders are the same when I enter as when I exit. I started doing like npc's ships, while exiting, going slow while adjusting the alignment, and then speed up near the exit. Maybe I should try to exit faster. Well, thanks for the answer!

The alarms are just letting you know you are flying close to the entrance sides and may hit them.

When approaching a station you need to keep your speed under 100 once you get within around 4km from the station. You can get fined for speeding or hitting other ships within this area.

Thanks commanders, I was speeding while trying to maximize my hauling for the CG since I had only a couple of half hours to play in the last two days! :) I'll keep it under 100 when approaching stations then. As for the alarm, I guess I still need to adjust to ships bigger than the Sidewinder!

You can go at any speed you like.
If you are above 100m/s, you will be classified by the station as speeding and fined if you hit another ship. If you are under 100m/s when you hit someone else you won't get fined.

The flashing is when you get a bit too close to the sides, small ships dont often get close to the sides, cobras can fit thru sideways but fatter ships, they can often set off the alarms, you can go as fast as you like thru the hole, speeding is only a crime if you hit someone

Thank you commanders, I'll try to leave the gear on when (finally) I'll play tonight. I used to enter and exit stations with the landing gear on as suggested by the tips for noobs like me, but as my confidence grew, I started to deploy and retract the landing gear only when inside the station, so I could carry more speed while flying through the mail slot. Maybe these are small and less significant things, but I like these little details, trying to match what the AI does when docking and leaving, always entering by the green side and land as smooth as I can.

Hi all, sorry for the maybe silly question, but is it normal that everytime I exit a station with my Cobra or Type-6 there's a red light flashing and an alarm that sounds for 3 or 4 seconds? I think it is related with a possible impact. It happens only when exiting and I'm not doing anything strange nor I exit particularly close to the sides.
Another question that just came into mind: I noticed a "Speeding" sign appearing on the right of the hud when I'm outside some stations, should I slow down because there's a penalty or fine risk related to it?
Thanks for the answers commanders!

The alarm you hear when exiting station is the "Proximity Alarm" because the walls of the mail-slot are pretty close-by. It is pretty rare to pass through the mail-slot without hearing that alarm, especially in a larger ship. Just a proximity alarm, after a while I do not notice it. My "Proximity Alarm" is the loud CLANG I hear when my ship hits something.

The "speed limit" in and around stations is 100 M/Sec. Exceeding that speed is illegal and will result in penalties if involved in an accident: a fine for simple collisions and ship destruction if a collision results in a death. Also, if someone rams your ship outside the station (but inside the speed-limit zone) and you are speeding the space station will not intervene however, if you are under the speed-limit when rammed, the ramming CMDR gets censured and possibly even destroyed by station security and the stations big lasers. o7

Last edited:
I don't think the warnings make any difference to health, they're just noisy. But it was a point of pride with me. I complained on mic to a couple of friends who were on at the time and had the same experience. No matter how perfectly I flew that little Sidewinder through the slot, the prox warning would beep and flash at me as if I were a senior citizen attempting to back my 1980 Buick LeSabre out of a parking spot at the local No Frills grocery store without looking where I was going.

I happened on the landing gear solution by chance. Entering the station with landing gear up won't buzz at you, as you know, but I now put my gear down beforehand because I have hit boost on my PS4 controller by accident several times instead of the landing gear. Once destroying a Type 6 and about half a million credits worth of cargo I was about to deliver. A painful, yet hilarious lesson, LoL! I was on mic with friends at the time, and they felt my pain.

Slip Tip #1: If you use a PS4 controller, bind your forward thrust + reverse thrust triggers so that if you press them both at the same time, your throttle goes instantly to zero. (Not really related to the slot prox thing, but makes life so much easier.)

It is a good idea to deploy your landing gear as your ship passes through the mail-slot on its way into the station. Deploying the landing gear signals the ship's thrusters to cut your current ship's speed/thruster-speed setting in half, slowing your ship.

Top Bottom