Almost 6 years ... but we've come a long way together !

I think a reasonable expectation would have been to assume that after the release of Horizons Frontier would continue to further work on all the talked about features/content like landing on lava worlds, atmospheric planets, more SRVs, ship and station interiors, tier-2 NPCs, etc.

Instead they started working on CQC, PP, Engineers, MC, ... you know, the usual complaints. All lot of this felt like a change in direction.
CQC and Powerplay were before hoizons came out and engineers and multicrew were part of the horizons expansion, so they had no choice but to do them as people had already purchased it.

But people were complaining about the base game so much, that after horizons they decided to spruce up the core gameplay areas, like trading, exploration and mining, also adding some other parts too like squadrons and a revised engineers.

As to more planets to land on, I am sure they are working on that in some capacity and it looks like we maybe getting elite feet if the leak is correct next year.

CQC and Powerplay were before hoizons came out and engineers and multicrew were part of the horizons expansion, so they had no choice but to do them as people had already purchased it.

But people were complaining about the base game so much, that after horizons they decided to spruce up the core gameplay areas, like trading, exploration and mining, also adding some other parts too like squadrons and a revised engineers.

As to more planets to land on, I am sure they are working on that in some capacity and it looks like we maybe getting elite feet if the leak is correct next year.
I believe that atmospheric planets and space legs aren't affected much by other feature development. It's probably one of the things that will bring them the most money, so not to make it a priority would be a strange business decision. I guess it's more likely that it's just a lot of effort.

I believe that atmospheric planets and space legs aren't affected much by other feature development. It's probably one of the things that will bring them the most money, so not to make it a priority would be a strange business decision. I guess it's more likely that it's just a lot of effort.
I suspect they have had a small team working on both for a while now.

I suspect they have had a small team working on both for a while now.
I'd guess the team started small several years ago but in the meantime it'll be rather big. If Space Legs is going to be released next year they'll want to have the majority of people working on it, doing textures, audio, animations, models, etc. The early team probably started with conception, improvements to the engine and creating tools / editors for the designers.
All this stuff takes time.

I remember back when in the earliest days, PvP was about who could shoot off the opponent's power distributor first. (Because at the time, that meant the capacitors would no longer recharge.) Yeah, there are things that I don't miss.

But yeah, pretty much nobody expected at Horizons' launch that the next big expansion will be five years later. (Assuming Frontier do make their late 2020 deadline, and it doesn't slip into 2021.) Nor when Horizons ended after almost two years (instead of one) that the next would be three years. Beyond wasn't enough features (nor content) for an expansion.

I'd guess the team started small several years ago but in the meantime it'll be rather big. If Space Legs is going to be released next year they'll want to have the majority of people working on it, doing textures, audio, animations, models, etc. The early team probably started with conception, improvements to the engine and creating tools / editors for the designers.
All this stuff takes time.
I completely agree. I was thinking right after horizons. Right now, I suspect most of the team is on the next big update and a small team is pumping out these small updates just to keep things ticking over. I am hopeful of the Ice planets and rock scatter updates in the update after fleet carriers.

Beyond wasn't enough features (nor content) for an expansion.

Actually, I would argue that Beyond did have enough new features to be called an expansion, certainly worth the same amount as say 'A Ship Kit'? However, if they're making enough money off cosmetics and they are imagining the game fragmentation nightmare that would come with another expansion, they made the right move.

For example, we have two new ships given away for free in this expansion, but you can buy some skins and ship kits for them, if you want. That means you probably paid more than you ever would for just the expansion. And as long as it never goes pay to win, I'm quite happy with that model.

I recall being amazed by how big "The Pill" was.

At the time I was really just playing ED as "Counterstrike in spaceships" and I never strayed far from where my friends were 'cos I was worried I'd never find them again.
Travelling 2 or 3 jumps to buy a module for my Eagle was a big adventure.

I remember back when in the earliest days, PvP was about who could shoot off the opponent's power distributor first. (Because at the time, that meant the capacitors would no longer recharge.) Yeah, there are things that I don't miss.

But yeah, pretty much nobody expected at Horizons' launch that the next big expansion will be five years later. (Assuming Frontier do make their late 2020 deadline, and it doesn't slip into 2021.) Nor when Horizons ended after almost two years (instead of one) that the next would be three years. Beyond wasn't enough features (nor content) for an expansion.

I don't remember the power distro being meta but I remember disabling the docking computer would destroy the ship ;)

When I was ranking up to combat Elite in the summer of 2015 the meta was to knock out the power plant. It made sense, but it also made killing stuff very easy, and I much prefer what we have now. Hopefully that's an example of player feedback improving the game for all.

I agree that it's frustrating to wait for so long for the next premium DLC, but there may be good reasons for the delay, and the lack of explanation on that is far more frustrating than the actual delay itself, which may be understandable if explained.

But different people are looking for different amounts of detail. I appreciated the apology and acknowledgement in September 2018, but this is an on-going development, progress reports would help a great deal to manage expectations.

Last edited:
A watch of these early videos show the foresight in design of the early game that remains prevalent today. I was surprised to discover that "loitering is a crime" so long ago ! 🙂

But haven't we come a long way since those early days ! (And I didn't get aboard until the LEP.)

Now we have Interstellar Initiatives , and are on the threshold of Fleet Carriers ....... and ARX points ! Oh my ! 😍

#2 .....

and that docking protocol ...... :)
What happened to that cool target icon??

Top Bottom